New to n guage

Started by mattcaney, April 02, 2017, 09:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattcaney

Hi, I have built my first baseboard and laid and 'screwed the layout temporary using screws that are below sleepers. I need to fit my Cobalt IP digital point motors which are centred. What is the next stage. I have a white box z21 system which I have sucessfully updated via pc to the latest version (1.28). Do I need to test the layout with a DC controller before connecting the z21 to it. ? Thank you

mattcaney

Ian Bowden

As long as the locos have decoders the short answer is no.
It is often recommended that a loco is run in using DC before chipping it, it eliminates the time spent chipping if the loco is faulty. It is important to oil sparingly (if you can see the oil it is too much)and run the loco in either via DC or DCC

mattcaney

One loco is stil in box whilst second in ginty second hand but has a dcc chip but have the dc blanking chip. I have not run anything on layout yet. I d have a turntable with two loops with crossover points all electrofrog but have not fitted cobalt ip digitals yet

Steamie+

Hi, if you haven't got a loco with a chip in it the z21 won't work, because the commend centre will not be able to send a signal for the loco to move.

Do you have a DC controller,if not you can pick one up off the net fairly cheaply. I would not recommend running it in using DCC that is what i have mostly read about it, so i don't, i have used one of the Bachmann controllers you get with their sets, but i don't have it now because i give it to my Grandsons with the layout i made for them.

My Z21 Black doesn't recognise the loco if it hasn't got a chip and please remember that you don't have a separate outlet on your unit to program any chip i.e. change the ID from 3 to what ever number you want, so don't have more than one loco on your track when programming the chips or you will set all of them to the number you put in the command centre.

Hope you have a great time with the z21, there is a thread on the Rocco Z21 on the forum you can use to get loads of help with.    :thumbsup:

Ian Bowden

You don't need to reinstall the blanking plug to run on DC most chips have a DC mode controlled by  cv29.  If it doesn't run then either DC mode is switched off or it is not compatible.
To create a separate programming track with the white z21 isolate a siding completely from the rest of the track and install a switch to turn off the feeds to the rest of the track leaveing  just that section of track live. Usefull when you have more locos on the track.
Don't try to run unchipped locos on DCC it will wreck the motor

njee20

There's no reason to test the layout with DC, just plug in your z21 and go.

Steamie+

Yes but if he has only got a DC loco the z21 won't recognise it. so please Matt don't attempt to run a non DCC loco on your layout, please listen to Ian and myself.     :thumbsup:

Quote from: Ian Bowden on April 03, 2017, 06:28:26 AM

Don't try to run unchipped locos on DCC it will wreck the motor

Go onto the Z21 page and you will see loads of info on there.        :thumbsup:

mattcaney

Its ok i have two locos one is fitted with dcc but second hand so dont know addrsss. Other is brand new graham farish tornado with a yet go be fitted bachmann 36-568 chip

Steamie+

Quote from: mattcaney on April 03, 2017, 05:40:10 PM
Its ok i have two locos one is fitted with dcc but second hand so dont know addrsss. Other is brand new graham farish tornado with a yet go be fitted bachmann 36-568 chip

Thats great, it's easy to change the address, just go to the train setting and put whatever 2 or 4 digit number you want and don't forget to write the number down so you don't put the same number in any other loco. If you then want to program the chip you will need to go to programming on main to do any alterations.    Happy Modelling.  :thumbsup:

Big bad John

I'm not familiar with the z21 but a lot of DCC command stations allow you to read the CVs so worth checking to if you can find the locos address that way. If you don't have a DC controller to run your tornado on just fit the chip and run it in on DCC. The main reason for running in on DC is to eliminate the decoder from fault finding the actual mechanical bit's of the loco won't care if it's run in on DC or DCC.

Ian Bowden

If you don't have a chip for your other engine the new Bachmann is really a Zimo which are excellent chips. Currently some box shifters are selling the Zimo for less than the Bachmann chip.

I am a fan of Zimo especially the sound chips, very reliable.

mattcaney

Thanks Ian, Would the Bachmann 36-568 be set with CV29 to run DC out of the box. Although have been advised that I could just fit the chip and run it in with that but would prefer to connect the new z21 upto the layout and and decentralised the newly fitted point motors, then connect up dc controller and run the train around for an hour.

Big bad John

If you have a DC controller then no need to fit the chip to your tornado till after you run It in on DC. Connect up your z21 and set up your points then swap to your DC controller and run your tornado and if all is well after an hour's running fit the chip and swap back to DCC.

Ian Bowden

Quote from: mattcaney on April 03, 2017, 09:45:39 PM
Thanks Ian, Would the Bachmann 36-568 be set with CV29 to run DC out of the box. Although have been advised that I could just fit the chip and run it in with that but would prefer to connect the new z21 upto the layout and and decentralised the newly fitted point motors, then connect up dc controller and run the train around for an hour.
Most chips have CV29 set to run on DC when bought. It is older chips that sometimes don't support DC running, you will probably never encounter one. Some DCC users disable the DC running as they believe it gives better running. Normally this is not necessary but with a troublesome controller chip pairing disabling DC helps, it is usually better to switch to a different make of chip for that loco. Why it happens I don't know but occasionally a loco will not run well and disabling DC can help.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations