Dapol tribute

Started by Chris Morris, March 20, 2017, 01:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

I've always had a soft spot for the 121/122 DMU - even if it shouldn't have marker lights and should have a 2-character headcode panel...

All my Pannier tanks have been good so far...

How about the Hymek and NGS K41 Full Brake?

The 28xx is ideal for long, unfitted goods trains.

The baby warship is a lovely model.

Where would Diesel Hydraulic fans be without Dapol?

koyli55002

Cannot fail to agree that Dapol have produced some lovely models and indeed I have quite a few myself.
However, the lack of progress on various promised N gauge projects, couled with the recent announcement, makes me wonder if the "tribute" should more be considered as a eulogy.

silly moo

They have made some very good models that I really like, the Terrier, Q1, M7, pannier tank and 9F. I've been very lucky with my models so far but I do wish they were a bit more strongly made, easy to take apart and that more spares were available.

port perran

Quote from: silly moo on March 20, 2017, 05:16:01 PM
They have made some very good models that I really like, the Terrier, Q1, M7, pannier tank and 9F. I've been very lucky with my models so far but I do wish they were a bit more strongly made, easy to take apart and that more spares were available.
I'd agree with that. I always am extra careful when handling my Dapol locomotives-they can be a bit on the flimsy side.
Having said that, my fleet would be very sadly lacking without the Dapol contribution and , touch wood, all have been fine first time.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daveg

Appreciate the recent statement made by Joel Bright.

The challenges that Brexit and the changing value of sterling must be making life more than difficult. I also appreciate the comment about the over-ambitious availability of new releases.

Dapol locos and rolling stock have always looked the part and while they have had their share of quality issues, I have only once given up on one of their locos.

My small collection includes 10 Dapol Steamers, could have been 11 if the Grange had stayed the course and 7 diesels. I am happy with almost all of them.

I am almost at the end of my major modelling investment but I do hope that Dapol, along with the other N gauge enterprises already mentioned, weather whatever storms the next few years will bring.

Dave G

N-Gauge-US

Add me to the list of those who is grateful for Dapol and what they do for the n Gauge market!!!

I'm the proud papa of:
4 A1 Terriers (LBSCR 'Earlswood' and 'Thames', KESR Bodiam, and GWR Portishead)
A GWR 57xx Class pannier
A GWR 2884 Class
An LNER B1 Class
An SR M7 Class
2 14xx Classes (one courtesy of Joel!)
6 Collett Coaches
8 Gresley teaks
A GWR Siphon
2 GWR Autocoaches
A GWR B Set

Moreover, the Terrier was the first n Gauge locomotive I purchased and it and the 57xx were the reason that I decided to model U.K. Outline (along with this forum). And any time I have ever contacted Dapol directly, I have received truly excellent customer service, so a big thank you again from me!
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Sprintex

Couple more hastily-arranged photos  :)

Regional 156 emerges from the branchline tunnel:-

And a far-too-clean-for-it's-own-good 56 on container duty:-

Paul

Karhedron

Quote from: koyli55002 on March 20, 2017, 04:37:50 PMfew myself.
However, the lack of progress on various promised N gauge projects, couled with the recent announcement, makes me wonder if the "tribute" should more be considered as a eulogy.

I hope it is not quite as bad as that. The 68 and Pacer are still coming as are the new Maunsell coaches (such as the very useful BCK). They are not about to go out of business and are not even getting out of N Gauge completely (although the cancellations already announced will no doubt disappoint a lot of people including me).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

potts

Good grief you would think someone had passed away.

Chris Morris

No, just pointing out that Dapol have done a lot of good for the N gauge sector of the hobby. This remains true even if they don't get round to kicking off any more new models.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Ben A

Hello all,

On Horseley Fields we use Dapol Class 66 locos on our steel trains, along with their telescopic-hood steel carriers.

Other freights utilise their Cargowaggon vans, FEA-B and Megafret container flats and various ballast wagons.

Their Virgin Super Voyager, Pretendolino Mk3 rake, Class 156 and 153 DMUs and Class 67 locomotives are also well regarded and consistent performers.

Honourable mention should also be made of Dapol Easi-shunt couplers, which we have found to give almost 100% reliable operations under exhibition conditions.

Cheers

Ben A.

Carmont

I have to say, the BRCW Type 2s from Dapol are very very good. I have more than a handful and they are great runners, and to my eye much more than acceptable accuracy-wise.

Mustermark

So nice to see a positive thread. I have loads of Dapol rolling stock; many Westerns included. I really appreciate their contribution to the hobby over the last few years, and hope to see it continue when the economy settles down.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Chetcombe

On the plus side I could not have fully realized my WR/SR layout without the Dapol hydraulics, Cromptons, steamers and bubble car. The Westerns, 22s and (so far at least) the 33s have been stellar in both looks and reliability.

On the other hand several of my Hymeks have required a replacement chassis as has my HST. My 121 DMU only runs at full speed and I am 1 for 4 with my steamers - a working Hall (at least until I dropped it :(), a 9F that derails constantly despite trying everything I can muster, a failed Grange and a Britannia that has never run properly and I have now given up on.

Coaches and wagons I am happy with, although inconsistent coupler heights on the Mk 3s drive me to distraction.

So a real mixed bag. I accept Dapol have prompted other manufacturers to raise their standards and their latter offerings seem more reliable, but overall my experience trends negative.

Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Chetcombe on March 21, 2017, 04:01:50 AM
.......but overall my experience trends negative.
I think there's a another thread already for all the negative stuff  :P

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations