!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New B  (Read 345 times)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: New B
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 04:12:57 pm »
My knowledge of DCC is minimal but I understood 'DCC ready' was a DC loco which, when fitted with the chip of your choice, becomes 'DCC fitted'. Therefore a 'DCC ready' loco can and should be run in on DC to ensure the loco runs OK before fitting the chip. A 'DCC fitted' loco can and should be run in on DCC. Some 'DCC fitted' locos such as the Peco 22xx steam loco and the RevolutioN Trains Pendolino recognise analogue and digital control, although if DCC fitted and with sound, only limited sound will be heard on DC.
By all means correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, everything you understand is correct, but there can still be issues with some 'universal' controllers providing too much juice in certain circumstances and affecting the PCB that the chip (or blanking plug if not chip-fitted) is plugged into.

Just something to keep in mind...

Avoid the cheap Bachman DCC controllers - they have a bad reputation.

Why not start with a simple dc layout and DCC Ready loco(s) , ( try Kato Unitrack for reliability, and ease of reconfiguration), and then upgrade slowly?

Attend a few MR shows , join a local club , and see if it suits you?

NickR

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Garyf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 04:23:56 pm »
My knowledge of DCC is minimal but I understood 'DCC ready' was a DC loco which, when fitted with the chip of your choice, becomes 'DCC fitted'. Therefore a 'DCC ready' loco can and should be run in on DC to ensure the loco runs OK before fitting the chip. A 'DCC fitted' loco can and should be run in on DCC. Some 'DCC fitted' locos such as the Peco 22xx steam loco and the RevolutioN Trains Pendolino recognise analogue and digital control, although if DCC fitted and with sound, only limited sound will be heard on DC.
By all means correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, everything you understand is correct, but there can still be issues with some 'universal' controllers providing too much juice in certain circumstances and affecting the PCB that the chip (or blanking plug if not chip-fitted) is plugged into.

Just something to keep in mind...

Avoid the cheap Bachman DCC controllers - they have a bad reputation.

Why not start with a simple dc layout and DCC Ready loco(s) , ( try Kato Unitrack for reliability, and ease of reconfiguration), and then upgrade slowly?

Attend a few MR shows , join a local club , and see if it suits you?

NickR
That's pretty much what I am thinking, the local club has a show soon so I'll pay them a visit. I've spent most of today reading bits of the forum and looking at what's available commercially and come to the conclusion that a DC layout and some bits from block signalling should give me what I want.

Gary

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:31 pm »
hello and welcome and good luck with your new layout

tim

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 08:27:08 pm »
Welcome to our friendly forum Gary, great to have you on board.   Code 55 is definitely the way to go and DC or DCC it's your choice but I'm prejudiced and would choose DCC every time, it adds so much more enjoyment to the railway.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here