Buying and Selling

Started by Mirrlees, August 07, 2012, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirrlees

I have heard that the buying area is being closed down.
I have an issue with the Classified area.  How can you have a sale that is not an auction or a buy it now  :confusedsign:
If this is not possible then why not just call the Classified section Ebay  :veryangry:

Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

scotsoft

If you read through the FAQ you will find the answers.

However, if you want a BIN there is a category for BIN so you put it in that category.

I hope that answers your issue  :thumbsup:

Mirrlees

Went through them first and NOPE.
Tim Hitch

scotsoft

If you go into the Classified section you will see the first on the list is BIN Locomotives, there follows every second listing a BIN option for all the different categories.

Mirrlees

I do not want a BIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim Hitch

scotsoft

In that case I am obviously misunderstanding what it is you want.

You say "How can you have a sale that is not an auction or a buy it now"

How are you defining a sale please?

Mirrlees

Tim Hitch

Mustermark

Quote from: Mirrlees on August 07, 2012, 11:57:01 PM
I have heard that the buying area is being closed down.
I have an issue with the Classified area.  How can you have a sale that is not an auction or a buy it now  :confusedsign:
If this is not possible then why not just call the Classified section Ebay  :veryangry:

I guess you invite offers by PM?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Mirrlees

Tim Hitch

scotsoft

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you but I am waiting on an answer myself from the techie who does all the programming.

I would have thought if it was by negotiation you would want to do it by PM anyway so is your question where would you place the initial posting to invite offers?

Have I grasped it correctly this time?

Mustermark

From my understanding, you have hit it on the head there John.

scotsoft

Well I am waiting to find out if I am correct or not, I was about to sign off when I saw this post and decided to try and help but it appears I am being ignored now and I know he is still watching this thread.

So if I cannot get a confirmation whether I have grasped this issue correctly or not, the answer will have to wait till tomorrow as I am off to bed.

guest311

for my two pennyworth, surely if I want to sell something and I want £x then I list it as  buy-it-now, if I want to see how high it will go then I list as an auction,
yes?

seems simples to me if I've got it right.

Mustermark

I think that covers 90% of what people want when they sell, and is probably why eBay is so successful.

But I can see Tim's point, that if you want to put something out there for, say, £50, but you might take £40 if someone offered that, then it doesn't really fit with either (unless you put a reserve on it).  The BIN/auction dichotomy is fine for most things, but it does take a bit of the "Oh, Ok that'll do, I'll take that for cash" scenario out of the picture.  Which is what folks could achieve by PM with the old system.

For the record, I think the new system looks fab and as far as I'm concerned will do nicely.  But if you can indicate "PM me with an offer" then so much the better... though I suppose any BIN would be open to a PM anytime anyway, just not openly invited.

guest311

perhaps then list as BIN with a price of '£x ono' ?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations