Old British made Farish chassis with 9mm spoked wheels ?

Started by bscanlon, August 19, 2018, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscanlon

Hi

These wheels are on some Farish steam.  9mm diameter.   Not see through, they are metal backed.

From wheel face to back they are 2.2 - 2.3mm wide.

Have a black plastic spoked insert that fits into the wheel rim and also a 2.9mm bore in the metal back of the wheel.  This insulates the wheel from the axle. The spoked insert takes a 1.5mm axle.

The ones pictured were from a junk mech with 'Grafar' and 'Britain' on the black plate on the bottom of the chassis.

I'm wondering which particular Farish chassis and locomotives used this design of wheel?

I know there have been a number of 'generations' of older Farish locomotives like these.  I want to harvest some for scratchbuilding and don't want to buy a loco off the 'bay that has a different wheel design.

cheers, Ben

ntpntpntp

They have a very rounded front edge to the tyre, so makes me think of the early Farish/Grafar locos of the 70s.
9mm is quite large, so maybe the early Hall class loco?   I don't think the Pannier tank wheels were that large (and the J69 and Standard tank wheels were certainly smaller)

[edit] 9mm is also the diameter of the wheels from the GP Tank  (1978 onward) but the wheels I have in my bits box have better "sharper" looking tyre edges and they have squared off ends to the axles, so I still think yours are early Farish.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

bscanlon

Hi, I had an idea the mech was a tank locomotive (unless it was an 08) but not 100% sure as I do not have the shell. Wheelbase from front axle to rear axle is 23.5mm, if that helps.

ntpntpntp

Is it a plastic chassis with can motor, or the later metal chassis with open frame motor?

[edit] Actually, 23.8mm wheelbase is correct for the 08 and the J94 saddle tank. Interesting, that makes those wheels much later than I thought.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

ntpntpntp

Hmm... the more I look at your photo, the more I see the flanges aren't deep enough for an early model anyway.

Is that the true colour - are they blackened or bright metal?

bscanlon

The wheel is dull due to oxidation. It's not that dark in real life. 

Attached is a pic of the mechanism it is from.

ntpntpntp

OK so that's the short wheelbase mechanism as per the old design 08 chassis and the J94.   Just shows how far wrong I was to begin with!

So other locos like the GP Tank used the same 9mm wheels.  I'm not a Farish user any more so can't comment on the full range of models which used those same wheels.

bscanlon

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I know what to buy to get some more of these wheels. 

Dr Al

Farish 08 - yes.

Just be careful - there's a screw jammed in the motor there - needs fishing out before you try powering it up.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

bscanlon

Yeah I noticed!  Don't worry, it's not going anywhere.

Its wheels will be transplanted onto things that have a 2mm axle (using HO top hat bushings.) Long story ... but it's been a tough search finding metal-backed 9mm wheels for a 2mm axle.

IHC do some for HO AHM/Rivarossi coaches but I reckon they are .110" profile so pretty thick.

With the Farish ones, at least you only have to thin down the tyre to get them to the right profile.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations