"Forbidden" message when viewing topics

Started by DELETED, November 09, 2016, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

Hello,

I noticed it's not been mentioned so far but for about a week now I am continously getting "Forbidden" messages when trying to look at any forum posts.  99.99% of the time I'm not logged-in when browsing the forum and this is happening on two systems:  Home laptop -win 8.1 with latest firefox, at work on desktop with win 10 with latest firefox -both set-ups on completely separate ISP's and connections, not dependent on time of day either.  Cookies, history and caches etc. cleared as per usual quick fix.

Is anyone else getting this?....

Cheers,

Rich

daffy

I've had that once I think in the last two weeks, and I am getting other odd behaviour that is also both perplexing and irritating:
Twice now when posting on a thread - one I started myself - when I tried to 'Post' the screen returned with "Bad request.....". Backpaging took me back to the posting page with my text entry still there, but the 'Post' button was now inoperative.

By copying and pasting my text into a new reply page, after closing and reopening the Forum, I got the message posted, but I'm concerned there is something flakey.
I'm using an iPad and have zero trouble on any other website, and like you Rich I have done all the usual housekeeping.

This maybe unrelated to the Forbidden issue, but I thought I'd mention it in case the Techies think it is linked.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Stuart7358

Hi

I've had that forbidden message too about three times in the last seven days or so too.Never had it before that. I didn't really pay much attention of it until you mentioned it, like you I only log in occasionally. Going back seems to clear the problem. No pattern to it that I can see.

Stuart

Ian Bowden

I have had the message once. I normally keep automatically logged in. It hasn't happened since.

Newportnobby

Despite my 'Opera' system and the forum just not getting on at all, I have not encountered that message and I use the forum more than most :hmmm:

Bealman

I've never had it either, but I also stay logged on. We had problems a while back with 502 script errors, but I guess if more reports come in of members with a similar problem, our tech Paul will investigate.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

As NPN said I also use the Forum a lot I had one message forbidden and one instance similar to daffy where I started to write a post and when I went to press the post button I also got BAD REQUEST I put it down to me or my IPad which is now well worn and is over three years old so I'm due a new one.
This only happened once last week. I had forgotten about it .
Bob

Bealman

I was just posting a reply about Ged's recent video on my Galaxy Tab 3 when I got a message saying a network error occurred,  but I think that was probably a local thing between my WiFi and the device. Luckily I'd copied the post, and when I did a refresh, pasted it into the newpage and got it away fine.

daffy

I'm always logged in when I'm browsing or posting - only log out when I cache clean every few days - so my Forbidden notice was maybe just one of those Q.i. type "nobody knows" things.

As for Bad Requests, all is operating fine at the moment so I shall wait until it happens again (if it happens again) to copy the full error page to see exactly what it said. But for now, I'm happy. Thanks Only Me.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

DELETED

Quote from: Only Me on November 10, 2016, 08:23:54 AM
@RST Bit of irony here, Photobucket where you have posted your picture is "forbidden to me" at work so unless you can post the photo in the forum gallery I cant look at the error sorry !

..Ah, sorry -thought I was being smart by doing a screen dump so it was exactly so.  I remember in old works where websites used to get blocked but we don't have any of those IT blocks at my work now (IT guy loves it -do whatever you like with your PC but don't break it 8)).

The "forbidden message is happening all over but I have a suspicion it's pretty much on any thread containing images on here as the wording of it is almost the same as the message you get when you click on a picture where someone has uploaded to the gallery rather than weblinked to their own storage (e.g. photobucket, flikr, dropboxx all display fine -but forum images I'd say it's less than a 50% success rate).  Actually I find allot of the time the gallery pictures work for a day or so then on the third day default to "forbidden -you do not have permission to access" but that's another story :confused1:

If it helps, the message I "screenshotted" is...

"Forbidden (in bold times new roman)

You don't have permission to access /SMFN/index.php on this server."

It is very similar to 403 forbidden messages when I was internet searching today.  I'll keep clearing my cookies etc. and hope it goes away because it's happening just about every post I click on on either computer.  Staying logged in doesn't work -I use private browsing for any website requiring a password but it happens when not using private browsing also.

Could it be a firefox bug?  I notice it's dropped out flash player again this past 2 weeks and you have to re-activate it again (I know some folk don't like flash etc.).

Cheers,

Rich

Newportnobby

Couldn't even log on earlier tonight without getting the 'Forbidden 403' message.
Tried Opera, IE and then downloaded Firefox and all gave me the same message.
@Only Me

bbdave

I get the same I can't log in at all on my phone so had to borrow one to post this any ideas why this works and not on my android?

Dave

Bealman

Eeeek! About 20 mins ago, I had my first Forbidden message while I was replying to bbdave's layout post. I logged out, and then tried logging back in again, and couldn't even do that. Forbidden again!!

Then I tried my tablet, Forbidden.

Phone, Forbidden.

It's working again now, obviously. But it appears that something strange is going on!  :hmmm:

George

Tank

Many thanks Paul.  Hopefully that's sorted it out.   :thumbsup:

Railwaygun

alas

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /SMFN/index.php on this server.

on a Big Mac + firefox this am - saving an amended message

test - i modified this message - no problems
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34