Unread posts

Started by Dorsetmike, October 21, 2015, 09:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I always click "Show all unread posts"   Not a problem with one page or less, but when there are 2 or more pages, when moving from to the next page the system appears to skip a few posts.

Example; this morning after reading 4 posts to topics I'm following on page 1, I went to page 2 but did not find a couple of replies I would have expected so returned to page 1 to find that there were 4 posts including the replies I wanted to see now sitting at the end of page 1 which had presumably been on page 2, the 4 posts I had read on page 1 had been deleted and the 4 from page 2 "moved up"

Looks like it may be an idea to use the browser refresh on a page before moving to the next.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MJKERR

Perhaps you should try using the "Unread posts since last visit" instead

If you do not visit the "Unread posts", then the list continually gets longer

MikeDunn

I use "since last visit" and start at the back ...

Dorsetmike

QuoteIf you do not visit the "Unread posts", then the list continually gets longer

Not when you click "Mark all posts as read" before exiting the forum, that effectively makes "all" and "since last visit" the same thing

Also you seem to miss my point, the problem occurs when after having read say 5 posts from a page and then moving to the next page the system shunts 5 posts from the next page into the page you are leaving, so therefore you miss those 5 posts unless you go back to the previous page, or refresh your browser before moving to the next page.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dodger

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 21, 2015, 12:47:14 PM
QuoteIf you do not visit the "Unread posts", then the list continually gets longer

Not when you click "Mark all posts as read" before exiting the forum, that effectively makes "all" and "since last visit" the same thing

Also you seem to miss my point, the problem occurs when after having read say 5 posts from a page and then moving to the next page the system shunts 5 posts from the next page into the page you are leaving, so therefore you miss those 5 posts unless you go back to the previous page, or refresh your browser before moving to the next page.
I quite agree with you Mike. It happens whichever method you use as read posts are deleted when changing pages. It would be nice if read posts are only deleted when exiting the forum as occasionally I need to revisit a read post.

Caz

There are usually 20 posts per page.  If you read say 5 of them then they obviously become "read" and that automatically allows 5 news posts onto that page.

If you want to ensure that you don't accidentally miss any then do what I do and just hit F5 to refresh the page or hit "all unread posts" again, this will then update the page with all new unread posts including any you didn't get around to reading on the first page read.

If you just read a few posts on page 1 and then hit page two then the system automatically refreshes all the unread pages shuffling then around to fill as many pages as needed and the posts that were on page 2 of course now appear in the vacant spaces on page 1.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

martink

One option is to just read things backwards.  Start from the last page of posts, then work forwards.  However, this can still fail when a new post arrives before you have finished them all.

MinZaPint

Quote from: martink on October 21, 2015, 03:22:33 PM
One option is to just read things backwards.  Start from the last page of posts, then work forwards.

That works for me  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 21, 2015, 12:42:19 PM
I use "since last visit" and start at the back ...

Likewise. When the 2nd page is down to about 5 or 6 posts I then switch to the end of page 1 and let the older ones come onto that page as I read page 1

pape_timmo

With 690 odd pages of unread posts, I may be some time...

Oops...

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Calnefoxile

What I do is read a thread, then hit the 'Show all unread posts' which takes me back to page 1 again. Which then means I have to go back to the page I was on, but as there are very rarely more than a couple of pages of unread posts for me (just shows how often I'm on here  :-[  :-[ ) this isn't that much of an ordeal.

Cheers

Neal.

keithfre

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 21, 2015, 12:47:14 PM
Also you seem to miss my point, the problem occurs when after having read say 5 posts from a page and then moving to the next page the system shunts 5 posts from the next page into the page you are leaving
Try this, Mike: instead of left-clicking on the posts you want to read, right-click and Open in New Tab. That should leave the list intact until you move to the next page.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations