A Forum Blog for 'General Discussion'?

Started by Komata, February 13, 2014, 06:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

Not sure if this is the correct place, but ...

Admins/Mods:

Is it feasible to create an 'off topic' area for general-type discussion (excluding the usual areas of Religion, Politics, Sex and Derisory-type comments)?

The intent of such an 'area' would be that it could be where overly-long posts could be located (rather than 'clog-up' the normal thread / subjects), and where 'off-topic'*(non-railway)  matters could be discussed.

Don't know if it is practical, but submitted for consideration.

Thanks.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Sprintex

That's what General Discussion is for - "Talk about anything here! Other gauges, hobbies, the weather..." ;)

Paul

Bealman

There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about being 'off topic'.

I am often guilty of that.

As Sprintex says, the forum has a 'General Discussion' board.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Komata

Thanks folks for the replies

What inspired my question was the fact that it is possible to create a post (such as a 'reminiscence', for example) which can sometimes be of considerable size, and as such could unintentionally 'dominate' a thread. My reasoning was that if a separate 'blog'-type section was created, this could mean that anything 'largish' could be written-there and left to its own devices, without fear that it would dominate its 'surroundings' and 'crowd-out any smaller posts. (sorry, not explaining it too well, I'm afraid).

However, since the provision apparently already exists, the problem would seem to have solved itself.

Again, thank you.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

ParkeNd

The off-topic responses don't bother me since they generally add to the flavour - imagine 50 rigidly on-topic responses on soldering drop wires for instance!!

But very long responses I just skip over. If Arthur Wainwright could distill a view over several counties into 10 words then 500 words about anything railway or non-railway is better in a book than a forum.

Bealman

I agree completely with ParkEnd... a zillion posts about drop wires? Worst nightmare!

Basically, keep posts short and sweet and to the point.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Feel free to start a new topic in General Discussion but please make the title clear so that folks can decide whether to read or not, then they have the choice.
Not sure the length of the post has any bearing unless the content is uninteresting.
The late, lamented Pete Mc was well known for his 'War & Peace' posts :)
Wearing a Mod's hat, all I would ask is please don't post anything that breaches the Code of Conduct :no:

Tank

I have the ability to make a 'shout box' which can go on the front page (home button).  I'm not sure how members would feel about it?  It's good for instant chat.

It looks similar this (although the design looks different)...

scotsoft

Was there not a chat box before and no one used it?

Tank

Geoff

Geoff

scotsoft

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations