Poole built diesel

Started by Stenba1968, August 16, 2018, 03:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stenba1968

I have 2 farish Poole made diesel locos, I run on dc,  (dcc is to expensive and complicated for me) both have the same feature at either end of their chassis,  as in a round hole which looks like it should have a light bulb or led in it, they are in the right position for lamps and number boards on the loco bodies.
Did they ever have running lights as I can't find any info on the web.

Another conundrum is that I have heard that I can fit a board to my deltics dcc socket which has a capacitor which allows running lights to stay on for a while on a dc  layout, fact or myth?

Bealman

More info required! From your description of the hole in the nose, that sounds like a prototype deltic, but they were never made at Poole. Do you know the class? Most diesels are identical at each end.

As to your second query, I have never heard of such a device, but that's not to say it doesn't exist!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

koyli55002

The early Farish class 47 and 37 chassis did indeed have a single lamp holder at each end for a "headlight". This was white only, f course, much like some of the cheaper American type diesels.

carderrail

The early Poole Built Class 37s and 47s had lights - a bulb was located in the slot on top of the front ends of the chassis. The Loco bodies has clear plastic optics that transfered the light to the front of the loco. A diode was used to illuminate the lights in direction of travel (unless as I found they were wired back-to front!)

From memory it was only ever fitted to the BR Blue and BR Green Class 37s/47s, the later bodies do not have holes drilled in the fronts.

As for a capacity, even if using LEDs the capacitor would have to be fairly large to provide any more than a few seconds of power enought to keep an LED lit.

Regards

Tony

Bealman

Supercaps of 1 Farad or more are available, but no way would they fit.

Stenba1968

Basically then. What I could do is fit an led into the chassis and wire them + / - as direction requires. Question is, what spec led

Bealman

Why not fit an incandescent bulb, as in the original design? They are still obtainable.

I'm still interested as to what these models actually are though  :hmmm:

railsquid

FWIW my two early Poole-era class 47s, both with filament bulbs in the slot at the ends of each chassis:

(I actually only just realised the blue one has bulbs, I'd always assumed it didn't, but the contacts were slightly askew so they weren't working).

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Stenba1968 on August 16, 2018, 10:17:17 AM
Basically then. What I could do is fit an led into the chassis and wire them + / - as direction requires. Question is, what spec led
I would guess a 3mm LED would fit, plus you'd need a 1K resistor in series with each LED.

I remember my Farish 47 "Isembard Kingdom Brunel" had lights (and decent brass gears!), now I kind of wish I hadn't sold it on when I went over to continental N in the 80s.  I know who still has it though!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

railsquid

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 16, 2018, 02:32:27 PM
I remember my Farish 47 "Isembard Kingdom Brunel" had lights (and decent brass gears!), now I kind of wish I hadn't sold it on when I went over to continental N in the 80s.  I know who still has it though!

Well you're not having mine :P

My blue one has an identical chassis but white nylon (?) gears. Both run fine, if a little noisy.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations