Which 00 gauge Class 37?

Started by Jack, December 15, 2017, 08:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I'm not jumping gauges to the dark side, N gauge will always be my layout size. It's just that I've a liking for class 37s. :NGaugersRule:

I've always fancied a larger scale 37, possible with sound and I wondered, when it comes to detail, which is the better manufacture of those who produce 00 gauge models. Vi Trains, Bachmann, Hornby or Lima, or perhaps someone else that I be not heard of yet.

I know nothing regarding the larger scales hence my question.

Thanks in anticipation....
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Paul-H

Hi

I had one of the Bachmann sound fitted ones about 7 years ago, that was a nice looking model.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

bluedepot

probably the bachmann one from what i have seen

tim

p.s. you should be expelled from this forum now for asking about OO

njee20

Bachmann for sure. Or just get a Heljan O Gauge one.

Jack

Quote from: njee20 on December 16, 2017, 10:56:50 AM
Bachmann for sure. Or just get a Heljan O Gauge one.

:jawdropping:   http://www.hattons.co.uk/326446/Heljan_3744_Class_37_4_in_Railfreight_triple_grey_unnumbered_Price_is_estimated_we_will_n/StockDetail.aspx

0 gauge I think is out of my price league!

Bachmann seems the way I'm heading. I've seen one on KMRC site that is one of their limited edtions that I quite like that was based at St. Blazey shed, just down the road from me.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51693/32-384ZDS-Bachmann-Class-37-Diesel-Locomotive-number-37-672

Thank for your thoughts one and all  :thumbsup:

NeMo

Quote from: Jack on December 16, 2017, 05:06:54 PM
0 gauge I think is out of my price league!

It's cheaper than you think. Take a look at today's offer on the Dapol 08:

http://mailchi.mp/railsofsheffield/adventday16

£175!

That's the base model. DCC, add sound, and by gum these things are fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mM6wz1rI0

For sure that's not a 37, but O is definitely where I'm heading as my second scale. Making wagon kits is a real pleasure, let me tell you. There's something about 7mm scale that means things look and feel so much better. 4mm just isn't that much of an improvement over 2mm scale.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Jack

And I thought my mind was made up, thanks @NeMo:-\  :)

I have to admit I have a liking for Gronks, just no as much as 37s. Having watched that Youtube link a few times I'm now having serious second thoughts.

It was just the thought of paying more for an 0 gauge sound fitted 37 'toy' than my first car that was a bit off putting, hence why i was considering an 00 gauge 37, but you make some sound reasoning (no pun intended) about considering an 0 gauge 08.

Tonye

:hellosign: Beware of the Heljan O gauge 37, nice model and looks superb , but they have a flaw, SPLIT GEARS!!.
Tony .H

NeMo

Quote from: Jack on December 17, 2017, 08:02:24 AM
It was just the thought of paying more for an 0 gauge sound fitted 37 'toy' than my first car that was a bit off putting, hence why i was considering an 00 gauge 37, but you make some sound reasoning (no pun intended) about considering an 0 gauge 08.

What's nice about these two small Dapol locos (the 08 and the 'Terrier') is that they're ideally suited to a small shunting layout. You'd really only need to make up 3 or 4 wagon kits (around £30 from Parkside Dundas, including wheels, couplings and transfers). Ready to run kits are a bit more expensive, but again, Dapol have you covered here with wagons from around £40. They've got an upcoming HEA hopper for £42!

Imagine a few of those with a pre-TOPS numbered BR blue 08, and you'd have a cracking little coal siding set-up circa 1970. With the sound option, I could see a lot of fun to be had with the background detailing setting up the atmosphere, and you'd not need a massive amount of space.

That's why my mind goes from N to O without stopping at 00. N gives me long trains and big scenery. O lets me focus on the details without worrying that everything is going to be tiny. The fact there'll be fewer locos and wagons balances out the cost -- frankly, when we're already spending £20 for some small wagons in N, the fact Dapol do O wagons for under £40 is nothing short of a bargain. We whinge about Dapol sidelining N a bit nowadays, but they've massively exploded the accessibility of "the senior scale" to the point where it's genuinely good value.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

davidinyork

I'd agree with the advice above - the Bachmann ones are definitely the best OO gauge 37s available. They have done most of the variations over the years, so if you are looking for a particular type then they can often be found second-hand.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations