!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Having some problems  (Read 833 times)

Offline fudduk

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Having some problems
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:35:54 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to plan my first layout, using SCARM and I think I'm making a bit of a mess of it. 

Basically, I have a 5x3 baseboard and I'm trying to get as much interest in as possible.  I'm not a railway expert so I don't really know about eras and themes.  My intention really is just to make something aesthetically pleasing, even if it's not realistic or accurate to an era or locale. 

In my mind, I'd like a siding area at the bottom and a couple of loops, hopefully with a station somewhere along the other side and some interest in the middle.  Now I've started planning it, I'm wondering if trains will run well on it in terms of direction of points etc...  If anyone more experienced can advise, I'd be very grateful.  Thank you.

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
Re: Having some problems
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:04:37 pm »
My first observation is that a train starting on the outer loop connects to the inner loop so no train can run more than once round the outer loop

Offline Dsolds

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:48 pm »
I had similar issues with planning but I had a good look through the link below at other members track plans. That gave me some inspiration.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=563

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:03 am »
Some things to consider.............

5ft x 3ft is a good size for a roundy roundy but don't be tempted to fill the board with track.

Try not to have track too close to the baseboard edge and try to avoid long straights following the baseboard edge. Shallow curves always look better.

If running UK stock, remember we drive on the left so the outer oval of two travels clockwise.

I'd suggest you hide at least one of the two end 180 degree curves in a tunnel or similar.

Run an imaginary train round your plan to see where best to place points/crossings. If you end up with the train loco against the buffers in a siding then you need what is called a headshunt so the train reverses in rather than drives in.

When you site your station platform(s) remember the passengers will need to enter/leave the station so you'll need access road(s), footbridge, underpass etc

Hope this helps

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:30:49 pm »
When I was designing my layout I did a lot of online research and looking at pictures of model railway scenery. Looking at completed layouts helps you think beyond the track plan to the scenery,  buildings and roads etc.

If you google 'N Gauge layout ideas' you will find scores of plans that can be adapted to suit your needs.

Adding to Newport Nobby's excellent points I would suggest that you try to avoid set track points and tight first radius curves.

Offline fudduk

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:52:33 pm »
Thanks to all for your advice.  It really is appreciated.  Sillymoo: you are not the first person to tell me not to use set-track points but I'm not 100% sure what the difference is.  Do you meant that my points should be EP-718-15 using Kato track? They seem really long and it looks like it would be difficult to fit them in in some ways on a 5x3.  Maybe I'm wrong in that or maybe I've misunderstood?

Following the advice that's been given, I'm going to have a look at some more examples and go back to the drawing board.  I'd rather have a few goes and get it right before investing time and money in it and learn from people who know more than me. 

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:10 am »
Set-track points and first radius curves not only look far too tight and unrealistic, but are also physically too tight for some larger locos to traverse. Peco code 80 medium radius points match up with Peco set-track, but are larger radius. They are also available in Electrofrog (if you prefer), which are a little more complicated to use, but much better for slow running of short-wheelbase locos. If you move away from set-track, then Peco code 55 gives a better look and with points, crossings and slips all having the same frog angle, large and medium can be mixed together without forming odd angles.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 01:09:16 am »
Peco make set track points which have a tight radius, as you are using Kato track which I'm not familiar with, things will be different. I'm sure others will be able to advise specifically regarding Kato track.

The main thing is to try to avoid tight radius curves and matching points if possible as some locos do not run well on them.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:36 am »
If using Kato Unitrack beware the following. I have carried out extensive testing using the #4 points (20-220/1) and only 80% of my steam locos run through without derailing (diesels are 100% OK) and I still have large Dapol steamers to test. The #4 points would be the smallest I'd use and I believe the larger #6 points would compromise any track plan you might be thinking of.

edit:-
The Peco code 55 small electrofrog points are the same length as the Kato #4 ones should you decide on Peco track

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 11:28:39 am »
Whilst all the advice about avoiding tight radius points and curves is for good reason, this does need to be tempered by the fact the available space is only 5'x3' so a little compromise is inevitable if you want to include at least some operational interest. 

As has been said don't be tempted to cram in loads of track, and maybe try and stick to short branch line type trains rather than long locos and expresses. Much as you may love those, they just don't look as good on small layouts.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline fudduk

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 01:41:26 am »
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.  I have had another bash.  Feedback welcome.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 10:32:54 am »
Hardly a straight piece of track in sight. I like it! :)
I see you're using Kato track. can I ask which points please as enlarging the plan just blurs the references. What are the sidings for and where will you site a station please?

Offline fudduk

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:14 pm »
Hi NewportNobby,

The points are EP718-15.  As I'd said earlier, I'm not someone who claims to have any great knowledge of railways so, to be 100% honest, I had put the sidings in and was going to work out what they were for later (probably a bad idea, I know). 

One of them would be for a station but I'm not sure which one.  I couldn't find space for a road crossing so I'd guess it'd be on the left.  I'd wondered about making the one in the middle, which splits as a shed possibly.  I've also noticed that there are uncoupling sections of track but wasn't sure if a) I needed them or b) where they'd go.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 10:38:03 am »
Thanks for the info. The problem with using a siding as a station is there's nowhere to put a run round loop such that a loco can uncouple from the coaches, run round the train, and then couple up to pull it out again so really you'd be limited to a DMU/EMU or a push/pull train which just travel in both directions.

Offline colpatben

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 11:20:40 am »
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.  I have had another bash.  Feedback welcome.

Your 3rd Draft.

Now looks similar Manning Oaks at 6ft * 3 ft

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36716.msg433172#msg433172
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP