!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 16251 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
Steve,

RCTS Part 2A table (summary of A1 and A3) shows 2573 Harvester, built in October 1924, as having a GNR type tender with coal rails initially, changed to a corridor tender in April 1928, but reverting to a GNR type from July 1928.

Figure 86 in that volume shows her in May 1932 with that tender, near Darlington with the down Flying Scotsman. Figure 84 shows her near Inverkeithing on clearance trials in July 1928, with the corridor tender.

Regards,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the history of the tender swaps. Your source is the same as mine but I'll happily admit that I'd missed all that lovely information somehow...

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2017, 08:22:32 pm »
Steve,

It's that fiddly fold away sheet at the back (one of 2) and you need to hold the sheet flat and use a ruler to read all the detail along the line for each locomotive. Makes a nice change after fitting 12" to the foot brake hangers and brake blocks  (two was enough for today!) on the J27 tender and then cutting the grass at home.

I'm very fond of the RCTS set - very useful when I'm deciding on a particular locomotive and need to get the details established.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
Ahhh that explains it. If I'm using the book at the work bench there isn't enough room to unfold that bit and I'm always worried about damaging it! I'll put it out flat on a bigger table over the weekend and have a proper gander at it. Many thanks for this.

I'm fond of the RTCS series as well having managed to collect all the volumes over the last decade or so. Originally I had the whole set reserved and was buying them a few at a time but the the shop closed suddenly and I lost the opportunity to buy about half of them. Luckily I finally completed the set while on the NYMR when I found a part set that was pretty much everything I was still missing - I do wonder if that was my original reserved set but it would have travelled over two hundred miles...

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »

If anyone is interested, this one is likely to become Harvester in mid 1930's condition. I've have two pictures of this locomotive, the first is dated 1928 and she is shown paired with a corridor tender. However, it appears that she lost this at some point as the picture dated 1932 shows her with a GNR tender as per my donor model (or should that be victim?  >:D ).

Steve, Having seen your work on the Forum, certainly not the victim!  Beneficiary more like.

Steve,

Makes a nice change after fitting 12" to the foot brake hangers and brake blocks  (two was enough for today!) on the J27 tender.

Roy, Agreed (these are heavy components) and thank you very much for doing this.  I like the 'J27' and have travelled behind her a few times.

Best wishes, both.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2017, 02:17:23 pm »
Steve, Having seen your work on the Forum, certainly not the victim!  Beneficiary more like.

Agreed! I've been rummaging about the LNER forums for research purposes, and was reading some of Steve's earliest posts from about 10 years ago and - to quote one of my favourite movies - "You've come far, pilgrim".

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
Thank you John and Pete for your kind words and sorry about the delay in replying!

Not much going in with physical modelling but these two have just made the cut of time with Shapeways for (hopefully) printing before Christmas!

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed that one of these is NOT of an LNER prototype!  :-[ :-[

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2017, 09:14:58 pm »
Has that Paul Price been bribing you by any chance, Steve? ;)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:14 pm »

No bribery at all Mick, although Mr Price did promise me a beer and I'm still waiting....  :beers:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:50 am »
Forgot to mention that the below also got sent to Shapeways for printing yesterday...

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:10 pm »

No bribery at all Mick, although Mr Price did promise me a beer and I'm still waiting....  :beers:

Did I, I cant remember that I must have banged my head or something

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:56 pm »
Did I, I cant remember that I must have banged my head or something

Must have done...  ;)

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:59 pm »
I WANT BEER I WANT BEER  :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »
Thank you John and Pete for your kind words and sorry about the delay in replying!

Not much going in with physical modelling but these two have just made the cut of time with Shapeways for (hopefully) printing before Christmas!

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed that one of these is NOT of an LNER prototype!  :-[ :-[

Steve,

Is that one of the Hawthorn Leslie batch of A5s? If so, I'll be watching avidly - it has great appeal, because these locomotives were used around here and, most of all, because it's a Pacific Tank with inside cylinders, so I'm thinking not too difficult to adapt a chassis to fit.

Very Interested!

Regards,

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: December 14, 2017, 04:09:07 pm »
Is that one of the Hawthorn Leslie batch of A5s? If so, I'll be watching avidly - it has great appeal, because these locomotives were used around here and, most of all, because it's a Pacific Tank with inside cylinders, so I'm thinking not too difficult to adapt a chassis to fit.

Hi Roy,

Yes it is the Hawthorn Leslie version of the A5. No. 5007 was a frequent visitor around the southern end of the GNR so I had to design it! I'll make it available as a 'scratch aid' on Shapeways in due course.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: December 14, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »
Thanks to the very helpful people at Dapol, I've now received and fitted some spare valve gear to my Flying Scotsman project.

The loco was originally 2750 Papyrus which I purchased cheaply second hand in a very poor non-running condition. Modifications so far include:

- Moving the relevant gubbings from the left to right hand side of the loco and patch painting
- Removing the handrails to get at the superheater header covers on the smoke box
- Removing the superheater header covers
- Replacing the handrails (N-Brass handrail knobs and guitar wire) and patch painting
- Replacing the tender with a corridor type and de-streamlining it
- Replacement cab (I had a spare 4472 cab and was feeling too lazy to renumber Papyrus's)
- Replacement valve gear, drive shaft and tender drawbar

I've still got a little patch painting to do as well as lining out the cartazzi truck, bogie wheels and tender frames and renumbering the buffer beam but I'm very happy to see the locomotive finally run, three or four years after I purchased it! It'll always be a little inaccurate as the cab should have the lower cutouts and the reversing rod should be the straight type but I can live with these relatively minor points.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything