!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Any-upon-Ware  (Read 27216 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Any-upon-Ware
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2017, 10:36:02 pm »
Hi Derek,

As Chris (IP) says excellent news  :claphappy:.

Looking forward to the build and pics. I think once you've got the track on the board it'll be easier to move bits around and get the exact plan you want.

I'm not doubting your earlier written plan but (for me anyway) it's so much better seeing it in situ.

I'm getting there with the new scaled down version of Port Regleun so hopefully some sort of Channel crossing service could be achievable (with select pics) for Christmas.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #436 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:16 pm »
 :hellosign: Good Evening everyone, superb news to report.  :claphappy: Mr Postman delivered this really nice box yesterday

So day off today & this is where we are now

The track plan is spot on just missing a couple of pieces & station is complete
       regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #437 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
Looking good.
Thatís quick work  getting the track down.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #438 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:22 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks Martin, nothing is glued yet but I cant see this plan changing
       regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:09 pm »
:hellosign: Good Evening everyone, superb news to report.  :claphappy: Mr Postman delivered this really nice box yesterday

regards Derek.

That looks splendid, Derek.  It's good to see the plan coming together.  One of the great benefits of using Kato 'Unitrack' is that it is really easy to make any changes that appear desirable once you see the formation taking shape in real life.  If you are not using Kato controllers there is a very clever little DC Adaptor that fits onto the point operating switches.  I'll post you a picture of my lever frame set-up if this will help.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: December 07, 2017, 09:15:05 pm »
Excellent news, Derek. Very good to see the trackwork taking shape.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #441 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:06 pm »

regards Derek.

That looks splendid, Derek.  It's good to see the plan coming together.  One of the great benefits of using Kato 'Unitrack' is that it is really easy to make any changes that appear desirable once you see the formation taking shape in real life.  If you are not using Kato controllers there is a very clever little DC Adaptor that fits onto the point operating switches.  I'll post you a picture of my lever frame set-up if this will help.

All good wishes.

John
  :hellosign: Thanks John, I have a Gaugemaster controller but admit I do prefer the Kato. Any photos would be most helpful.
      regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #442 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks Chris, I am well pleased
     regards Derek

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #443 on: December 07, 2017, 10:22:11 pm »

regards Derek.

All good wishes.

John

:hellosign: Thanks John, I have a Gaugemaster controller but admit I do prefer the Kato. Any photos would be most helpful.
      regards Derek.

Derek

I have three Kato Power Packs for my US-outline layout.  One simply appeared to wear out and had to be replaced.  With Gaugemaster there is a lifetime guarantee.  The Gaugemaster controllers have 16v AC terminals.  Kato makes the '24-842 DC Converter' (£5.05 from Traintrax) which connects to these terminals.  Here is the arrangement on the Table-Top Railway Mk. III:-

[Lever frame in place.  Five levers operate nine points.  Two crossover-type formations and two loops with a route-setting arrangement.  Apologies for the camera shake!]

[The lever frame pulled out of its location.  '24-842 DC Converter' right in front of the camera.] 

['24-842 DC Converter' disconnected from the lever frame - it's really that easy!  My US-outline layout has 25 levers in the frame, powered by one of these connected to an ancient H&M transformer.]

If you use a Kato '22-015' Power Pack, the lever frame can simply clip onto the side, giving a very neat arrangement if that suits your favoured operating position.

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, please ask.  If I can't answer them, someone else likely will.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #444 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:51 pm »
Hi Derek,

Again  :claphappy:. Glad your happy with it all.

Unless you've done it already, I'd keep the point wires tied up while you're testing trains and use them manually as they become a right pain in the bolognese until you make a hole in the board for the spaghetti. Just a thought.

Also, you've probably said before, but what era (or eras) are you modelling? I presume '60s but are you having modeller's licence?

Sorry but I lose track (no pun).

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #445 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:11 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks John, wow that is neat, & as you say simple to set up maybe the gaugemaster controller will feature, thanks again
      regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:22 pm »
 :hellosign: Chris (Weave), thanks for the tip, the points wires are staying bundled for a little while  :thumbsup:
     I have a wide variety of trains from around the world from the 40s (I think) right up to latest EMUs & love em all so yes rule 1 generally but West Porthsea is most definitly 60s. (It makes sense to me)
       regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2017, 09:32:24 am »
Hi Derek,

Unless you've done it already, I'd keep the point wires tied up while you're testing trains and use them manually as they become a right pain in the bolognese until you make a hole in the board for the spaghetti. Just a thought.

That's really good advice.

When it comes to wiring, there are probably two options (assuming the wires will run below the baseboard).

If you wish to use just Kato cables to take full advantage of the 'plug and play' system, I found the best way to drill the holes was with one of these...

[Half-inch bit!]

The holes are hidden below the Kato integral ballast as is, hopefully, evident from the photograph.

Alternatively, one can cut the Kato cables and use a much smaller hole in the baseboard and then re-join the cables.  This also allows for the Kato cables to be extended to any length one wants and works out cheaper than buying several extension cables.  I used this method on my US-outline layout which is quite big.  The cable I used was a twin cable intended, I believe, for burglar alarms.

By the way, I now normally prefer to use the 'Power Feed Unijoiners' rather than the 62mm power feed track.  But you might notice a 62mm power feed track in the photograph - at the end of the headshunt.  This is because of a very large baulk of timber below the baseboard!  The cable runs in a little trough, covered by the black card, and then goes below the baseboard at a convenient location.  With Sundeala, a trough is easy to cut.  Harder with MDF or ply but still do-able.  If one is using a cork surface, then it's an absolute doddle.

All the best.

John

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »
A lovely box full! I'm not a Kato user but you can certainly lay track quickly with Kato. Looking forward now to seeing trains running.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #449 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:18 pm »
Hi Derek,

That's really good advice.

When it comes to wiring, there are probably two options (assuming the wires will run below the baseboard).

If you wish to use just Kato cables to take full advantage of the 'plug and play' system, I found the best way to drill the holes was with one of these...

[Half-inch bit!]

The holes are hidden below the Kato integral ballast as is, hopefully, evident from the photograph.

Alternatively, one can cut the Kato cables and use a much smaller hole in the baseboard and then re-join the cables.  This also allows for the Kato cables to be extended to any length one wants and works out cheaper than buying several extension cables.  I used this method on my US-outline layout which is quite big.  The cable I used was a twin cable intended, I believe, for burglar alarms.

By the way, I now normally prefer to use the 'Power Feed Unijoiners' rather than the 62mm power feed track.  But you might notice a 62mm power feed track in the photograph - at the end of the headshunt.  This is because of a very large baulk of timber below the baseboard!  The cable runs in a little trough, covered by the black card, and then goes below the baseboard at a convenient location.  With Sundeala, a trough is easy to cut.  Harder with MDF or ply but still do-able.  If one is using a cork surface, then it's an absolute doddle.

All the best.

John

Hello & many thanks again John, really appreciate the photo & advice. I am using the 62mm track connector for now while I look at all my options
       regards Derek

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything