"O" no, what have I done...

Started by GroupC, December 06, 2016, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

Argh, I've had several long months of being tempted by Dapol's O gauge Class 08 and after seeing one "in the flesh" at my local model shop I've just gone and ordered one. But I don't have any track or anything. What will become of me?

Is there such a thing as O-Loco-Holics Anonymous?

bluedepot

very nice what livery did you get?

I really like o gauge and there is a lot available now rtr but even a small shunting layout would be very expensive. wagons and coaches cost loads as well. I suppose the dapol 08 is relatively cheap though for o gauge.

what wagons will you buy to go with the 08?

Tim

GroupC

Hi Tim

You'll probably be pleased to hear that I got the unnumbered TOPS-era blue one which I'll give a suitable local identity. I'm thinking of a micro/very small shunting layout to run it on - partly because it'll be much more space- and cost-effective, and partly because I don't want to get sucked into buying things like Class 40's and so on, which could very easily happen. Well, it could if my bank balance supported £500+ per loco. Which it doesn't - the 08 must be one of the "best buys" ever.

I'm thinking about track plans etc at the moment, running perhaps blue spot fish vans (to support my Grimsby heritage), the ubiquitous mineral wagons, Grampus ones, and so on. At around £40 for each kit it's not cheap but I fancy the idea of building something big and chunky. And then weathering it all to look completely knackered.

Whatever I do, don't hold your breath for updates...! Have still made very little progress in N despite starting years ago.

Yet_Another

Well done that man!

I had pretty much the same idea, but sanity prevailed and I cancelled my preorder.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

JasonBz

I have one also, very nice it is too - Especially coupled upto the Lionheart 16T minerals sat on SMP Track with Peco points - Some rudimentary baseboard joinery to be completed in the near future and I shall have somewhere for it to shuffle a few wagons about :)

The Italicised items are where you will go from here :D

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: GroupC on December 06, 2016, 03:11:09 PM
Hi Tim

You'll probably be pleased to hear that I got the unnumbered TOPS-era blue one which I'll give a suitable local identity. I'm thinking of a micro/very small shunting layout to run it on - partly because it'll be much more space- and cost-effective, and partly because I don't want to get sucked into buying things like Class 40's and so on, which could very easily happen. Well, it could if my bank balance supported £500+ per loco. Which it doesn't - the 08 must be one of the "best buys" ever.

I'm thinking about track plans etc at the moment, running perhaps blue spot fish vans (to support my Grimsby heritage), the ubiquitous mineral wagons, Grampus ones, and so on. At around £40 for each kit it's not cheap but I fancy the idea of building something big and chunky. And then weathering it all to look completely knackered.

Whatever I do, don't hold your breath for updates...! Have still made very little progress in N despite starting years ago.

I guess the house improvements are on hold then... ;)
I am only Jealous as I tried to convince Mrs "H" that one of these towing a couple of open wagons laden with beer bottles would make a nice conversation piece when it pulled onto the patio....
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

silly moo

I got led astray by Dapol's Terrier last year. I've managed to get some track, two wagons and a brakevan. I must stop now  :(

GroupC

I think I've spent enough on house improvements this year Jerry as I've had my sash windows renovated and the whole house re-roofed, which was essential really. There's still lots to do inside and outside but I thought (i.e. convinced myself, or perhaps deluded myself) I deserved something for "me" instead of all my money going into my house! Then again, one down the road which is all finished, as mine very much isn't, was sold recently for £130,000 more than I paid for mine, and it had half the number of bedrooms, so it does repay the investment. And I haven't spent, and won't need to spend, anything like that to get mine done. I hope.

A beer train sounds good even though I don't drink beer. Now if it was a chocolate train however...

But I'd need more than a couple of wagons.

Perhaps the biggest advantage I have over a lot of NGF-ers is that I don't have a SWMBO, so I get to choose what I buy.

Scary!!!!!!!!!!!! My life is an exercise in self-restraint.

GroupC

Quote from: silly moo on December 06, 2016, 05:13:43 PM
I got led astray by Dapol's Terrier last year. I've managed to get some track, two wagons and a brakevan. I must stop now  :(

Let's see some photos please! I like the sound of your little haul.

d-a-n

Good work, they certainly looked very impressive at the Manchester show this weekend. There was a guy running one on what I assume was this track with one wheel on one line and the other on the other line - http://www.traintrax.co.uk/20014-concrete-slab-double-track-186mm-straight-2pcs-p-918.html - kind of like interlaced track. Hope I haven't given you any Ideas...

Buzzard

Quote from: JasonBz on December 06, 2016, 03:48:36 PM Lionheart 16T minerals
The Italicised items are where you will go from here
Could be difficult as a 2mm finescale modeller I know bought the last 20 or so from Tower Models, they were the last of a special run commissioned from Lionheart.

Not sure if this wagon will be available from Dapol now that they've taken on the Lionheart range.

Buzzard

Quote from: GroupC on December 06, 2016, 11:39:04 AMIs there such a thing as O-Loco-Holics Anonymous?
If there is most of the modellers in my club should be signed up, or if not should be.  I've resisted the temptation as I've got quite enough n gauge projects on the go at the moment.

A die-hard 2mm finescale modeller I know has bought about 2 grands-worth of O gauge stock in the last year.  Just a few wagons here, a Black 5 there etc.  Wish he'd sort out his 2mm stuff rather than upsizing.

O gauge modelling appears to be like a snowball, small and easy at first but huge and cumbersome once it's rolled down the mountain.

Take care GroupC because once the bug has bitten.........

Cookiedude13

The bug has definitely got me. Pre-ordered an 08 all those years ago when it was announced just to run with a few wagons on a small layout. By the time it's actually arrived it's come with a friend and joins a 20, 33, a dozen wagons and a 37 from Heljans next batch.

That said it's definitely a side venture. My heart still lies with N.

silly moo

The bug does bite, I started with the loco which I decided I would put in a display case, then someone gave me some track. Then I decided that the loco needed something to pull, that's when I bought the wagons and brakevan.

The cost and space of 0 gauge will slow me down considerably.

But then again I started in N with one loco, one length of track and two coaches!

JasonBz

Quote from: Buzzard on December 06, 2016, 06:20:51 PM
Quote from: JasonBz on December 06, 2016, 03:48:36 PM Lionheart 16T minerals
The Italicised items are where you will go from here
Could be difficult as a 2mm finescale modeller I know bought the last 20 or so from Tower Models, they were the last of a special run commissioned from Lionheart.

Not sure if this wagon will be available from Dapol now that they've taken on the Lionheart range.

Maybe I should have said the lovely to build Parkside kits then?

Expense wise it is all the same for a given square footage of area to play with...
You obviously cant collect a bit of everything in O, but the selection process of what to have makes it more finessed to your tastes....so it gets better !

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations