Microsloth again

Started by Dorsetmike, March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Has anybody else had problems in the last few days? They asked me to change my password, however I was unable to complete that as theyh wanted an alternate phone &/or email for verification.

I don't need nor want a mobile phone, a/. can't justify the cost b/. no use for one; I don't want a second emai address, I've only ever had one at a time, initially AOL, then NTL world when AOL transferred their cable users many years ago. I would not want one of the free ones like hotmail, gmail or yahoo, they seem to attract the majority of hacking. I can't even access my MS account to cancel it!

The following is the response I got from MS when I tried to explain why

QuoteHello,

Welcome back to Microsoft account Support. I know it's inconvenient having to be constantly ask to provide alternate email and phone number. I totally understand where you are coming from. But we cannot disable this feature as this is system designed. Microsoft is implementing a security feature that will ask for a code when you try to access your account, billing, security information page and some Microsoft services or apps. This feature was designed to make sure that all your security proofs (alternate email, mobile number / Identity verification apps) are all updated. This also provides an extra layer of security to your account. The code can be sent to an alternate email address or a mobile phone number registered into your account. You will then use this code to access that particular site you wish to access.
However the steps we are taking are designed to ensure your account is as secure as possible. These steps are necessary for account security, and are covered in the terms of use located at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/copyright/default.aspx
The security of all our users is of prime importance to Microsoft, and because of that we cannot allow accounts that do not comply with these measures to be hosted on our system.

Let us know should you need further assistance. Don't hesitate to contact us back. Have a blessed day!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

PeteW

Mike, this looks rather odd. How did this start, and how did you contact 'Microsoft'? That closing "Have a blessed day" rings alarm bells - doesn't sound like Microsoft to me.

PaulCheffus

Hi

Alarm bells would ring with me too. Microsoft have never asked me to change my password and even if they did I wouldn't until I was forced to.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

ntpntpntp

When you say "they asked me to change my password", who are "they"  and in what context was this request?   When did it come up?   Is about the password you use to log into your pc, for access to your microsoft live stuff, or what?

I know Winders 10 seems to want you to have a Live account but I made sure we all had traditional local accounts when I set up our family PCs on Win 10.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

keithfre

Quote from: Dorsetmike on March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM
I would not want one of the free ones like hotmail, gmail or yahoo, they seem to attract the majority of hacking.
I've had a gmail account as a fallback for years and to my recollection have never even received any spam on it - probably because hardly anyone else has a record of it and I don't use it on the interweb.

njee20

Super duper scamtastic I'd say! Everything about that feels so wrong. They wouldn't reply in that tone, let alone the salutation. Terrible grammar too. All the hallmarks.

keithfre

Dorsetmike

The password for MS account, first I knew about it was when I tried to log on to Skype
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

Hmmm, and by what mechanism did you contact them? Was there a pop up asking you to contact them or anything?

Your Skype password is unique though, it's not a master "Microsoft" password. In fact there really isn't such a thing.

I will eat my hat if that's a genuine Microsoft help email.

Have you run a virus check? Microsoft's inbuilt one is better than most free (or paid) offerings, just ensure definitions are up to date.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2017, 09:55:27 PM
Your Skype password is unique though, it's not a master "Microsoft" password. In fact there really isn't such a thing.

Not necessarily true. Skype is now built into Hotmail, my Skype is linked to my Microsoft account which does act as a master account for all sorts of MS stuff.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Hmmm, and by what mechanism did you contact them? Was there a pop up asking you to contact them or anything?

I will eat my hat if that's a genuine Microsoft help email.

Have you run a virus check? Microsoft's inbuilt one is better than most free (or paid) offerings, just ensure definitions are up to date.
Good advice. It might also be worth running the free version of Malwarebytes
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Just a thought Dorsetmike. Have you tried logging in to your Microsoft account directly through their login page. If you can without being asked to change your password then your Skype problem probably is a scam.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

themadhippy

QuoteMicrosoft is implementing a security feature that will ask for a code when you try to access your account, billing, security information page and some Microsoft services or apps.
I had this a year or so back with my hotmail account,i just set up another   hotmail account ,with a random user name and password  and deleted the email contents once the main account had been verified.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

daffy

Mike, if this isn't a scam I'll eat my tail feathers.

As others have said, it has all the hallmarks of nefarious activity by unsavoury people out to do no good.

Somehow they have got you in a loop that gives the appearance that you are contacting Microsoft, when in fact you are just recontacting them. It's a classic scammers trick and strongly suggests your computer may have been subject to an attack.

No reputable company will ever contact you in this way and ask you to change a password or reveal personal details.

Get the computer virus checked as suggested earlier, and make no further contact with whoever is trying to coerce you in this way.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Quote from: ntpntpntp on March 22, 2017, 09:59:37 PM

Not necessarily true. Skype is now built into Hotmail, my Skype is linked to my Microsoft account which does act as a master account for all sorts of MS stuff.

Interesting, I stand corrected. My Lync ("Skype for business") account is included with everything, but Skype itself has remained totally standalone.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations