Stanier coach numbers.

Started by trkilliman, May 13, 2018, 08:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

I am in the process of making a number of coaches built during the LMS era, with some continuing to be built in the early B.R. days. Commonly referred to as Stanier coaches. They will be mainly finished in Carmine and cream and I would like some numbers for them. Some had an "M" prefix.

I haven't kept the shop inserts that came with the NGS Journals, but have a hunch that Modelmaster did a sheet of these coach numbers. They may have been introduced after Farish brought out their Stanier coaches.

Does anyone still have a copy of the old shop list and could confirm if they were indeed produced by Modelmaster?

I keep looking at the Modelmaster website in the hope that more items will be listed and I may find these coach numbers, but with no luck. For some weeks it has remained unchanged with 122 N gauge items listed.

I was lucky to find two unopend packs of M/master LMS/B.R. coach lining on the BHE stand at the recent Thornbury show. I wonder if this will re-appear from M/master?

Anyway, thank you in advance guys.

Steve.

PLD

Quote from: trkilliman on May 13, 2018, 08:13:37 PM
I am in the process of making a number of coaches built during the LMS era, with some continuing to be built in the early B.R. days. Commonly referred to as Stanier coaches. They will be mainly finished in Carmine and cream and I would like some numbers for them. Some had an "M" prefix.
At Nationalisation, all LMS designed coaches, whether built before or after 1 January 1948 had an 'M' Prefix added to their LMS number designating their company of Origin. They also had a Suffix indicating their region of operation. for all Staniers this was either 'M' for London-Midland Region or 'SC' for Scottish Region (a few oddments, mostly diners were later transferred to the North Eastern region and got a 'NE' suffix, but Farish don't make any of them!)

Quote from: trkilliman on May 13, 2018, 08:13:37 PM
have a hunch that Modelmaster did a sheet of these coach numbers.
They certainly do (or did - I can't see them listed on the web site now...) They have been going longer than the Farish Staniers though - I recall using them on the preceding Mike Howarth kits.

trkilliman

Thank you for the info PLD.

The NGS said they had large numbers of M/M decals and I assume these were handed back to M/M. I think I will give M/M a call to try and locate some of these coach numbers.

Steven B

Quote from: PLD on May 13, 2018, 08:40:57 PM
At Nationalisation, all LMS designed coaches, whether built before or after 1 January 1948 had an 'M' Prefix added to their LMS number designating their company of Origin. They also had a Suffix indicating their region of operation. for all Staniers this was either 'M' for London-Midland Region or 'SC' for Scottish Region (a few oddments, mostly diners were later transferred to the North Eastern region and got a 'NE' suffix, but Farish don't make any of them!)

I thought the prefix showed the owning region with the suffix being used to indicate the pre-BR company. Hence you'd see Mk1s with Mxxxx or Wxxxx numbers whilst pre-BR coaches would be WxxxxW for example.

Steven B.

PLD

Quote from: Steven B on May 14, 2018, 09:14:18 AM
Quote from: PLD on May 13, 2018, 08:40:57 PM

I thought the prefix showed the owning region with the suffix being used to indicate the pre-BR company. Hence you'd see Mk1s with Mxxxx or Wxxxx numbers whilst pre-BR coaches would be WxxxxW for example.

Steven B.
:oopssign: d'oh!! Yes sorry... For prefix read suffix and vice versa...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations