!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71922 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1680 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:04 pm »
They were actually travelling at a scale speed of about 60 mph which, for an unfitted branch goods and a branch passenger with a B set, is like light speed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline pape_timmo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1681 on: November 21, 2017, 10:30:25 pm »
I think on the third clip, the driver was braking for the station, checked his schedule card and realised he wasnít booked to call at Marton, so opened the regulator again...

Cheers, Timmo

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1682 on: November 22, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »
Today was a much more encouraging day.  First thing, I ran 9744 round to the UP loops, 6417 round to the DOWN loops and back again and then 9744 back to the DOWN loops.  9744 was still reluctant to start from rest.  I thought I would have another go at cleaning the branch passenger track in the DOWN loops.  To my surprise, the card became as dirty as when I cleaned it yesterday.  After that, we went off to the gym and so it was late morning before I returned to the Train Shed.

I cleaned the track again with the same result.  After four attempts, the card still appeared as dirty after cleaning.  I donít think this can be real.  It may simply be that I am picking up a tiny amount of nickel silver off the surface of the rails.  I had another go at cleaning the wheels of 9744.  Again, they were dirty, but a second cleaning seemed much better.  I also cleaned the wheels of the B set, but they were surprisingly clean.

But now I am back to a slightly better position than before the high-speed running.  In fact, 6417 is now running better than it has done for months.  9744 is less good, but it does run very smoothly now.  You will notice a slight judder in the middle of this short video because I had to stop it and start it again to give 9744 a slight twist on the track so that it would start again.

It is as if I need to bring the flanges into contact with the insides of the rails to get the signal through to the loco.  Once it starts, it runs beautifully, as you can see.

I think I have done as much on the branch as I can for now and I will start on full timetable runs again.  I also need to start on terraforming the scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1683 on: November 22, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
Despite a couple of loco's playing up (you need to take a look at some of my fleet) its a brilliant looking layout

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1684 on: November 23, 2017, 05:47:49 pm »
First thing, everything went well.  I ran the first six sub-cycles and there were no real problems.  9744 required a nudge before it started from the DOWN loops and then another in the station on its first UP run and one more in the station on its second DOWN run.  6417 ran perfectly and all the other locos ran well, apart from 80119 having a cough under the London Road bridge on its DOWN run.  64960 slightly overran the goods platform and was reluctant to start in reverse from the headshunt, but everything else worked perfectly.  The only effect I noticed was that trains seem to coast for a slightly longer distance after all the track cleaning, although I didnít clean the mainlines this time.

After our day out in Hull, which was not particularly inspiring, but had to be done, I spent a little more time in the Train Shed.  I manage to finish the last four sub-cycles of the first main cycle and everything worked excellently, apart from the occasional nudge required by 9744.  I did finish up by running 9744 round the B set, rather then just lifting it off and putting it at the other end.

Over the next few days, I will continue to work my way through the operational timetable.  But I feel that I should concentrate on the scenic side of things again.  To that end, I tried the fiddly task of making some quoins for the corners of buildings.  Here, you can see the printed sheet at the top, the quoins cut and folded beneath and, at the bottom, one of the quoins cut to length and nibbled away on one side.  The nibbling was done by hand with a craft knife and a 6'' steel rule.  Itís a bit crude and needs to be improved, but this was just a first experimental attempt.

When I had finished both sides, I stuck it onto one of the Metcalfe buildings.  I donít think it is too successful and I donít think I will repeat it on any of the others, but it is intended for scratch building.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to get on with fitting some of the facia boards and start on the terraforming.  I need to buy some shaper sheet for the tunnel entrances and other key parts of the terrain.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #1685 on: November 23, 2017, 06:02:20 pm »
Whether in real life builders would have built quoins on houses such as these, I think what you have done sets off the end terrace nicely. It also makes it a slightly "non-Metcalf" kit.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1686 on: November 23, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »
Looking good, fancy doing the terrace houses on my new project ??

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1687 on: November 23, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
I don't  know how prototypical they are on that style of house but I think they look very effective. They just look right to me and as Mito says, take some of the Metcalfe-ness away.

Offline pape_timmo

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1688 on: November 24, 2017, 11:59:23 am »
I have to agree with the views above, they look really good.

Cheers, Timmo

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1689 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:46 pm »
If it works here: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-quoin-177497 then just do it.  I think it works, and though i dont have many Metcalfe buildings, i'll be adding this feature as soon as i get my cutter set up once again.  Looks good.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1690 on: November 24, 2017, 04:41:48 pm »
If it works here: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-quoin-177497 then just do it.  I think it works, and though i dont have many Metcalfe buildings, i'll be adding this feature as soon as i get my cutter set up once again.  Looks good.....
Do you have a special cutter that saves having to use a craft knife to cut out the quoins?
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline pape_timmo

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1691 on: November 24, 2017, 06:47:32 pm »
I wonder if some kind of press or die might be available in Hobbycraft or similar that can make cutting out easier. Theyíre used for decoupage type card making and embossing type applications.

Cheers, Timmo

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1692 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:41 pm »
I had a very busy day today, but I did manage to get down into the Train Shed first thing and run the first four sub-cycles of the next full cycle of the operational timetable.  9744 required a nudge to get it going from the DOWN loops, but then everything went well until 9744 required another nudge from Platform 4.  I am really pleased with the way things seem to be running now.  I measured up the next piece of facia, ready to cut a hole to accommodate the head of the bolt connecting the legs to the baseboard frame.

After that, it was all hands to the grindstone (excuse the mixed metaphore).  I was expecting a laptop to be delivered (not for me, but for U3A) so I needed to be in the house, at least until it came.  So I spent the rest of the morning attending to the U3A accounts to prepare cheques and payment notices to pay for the rooms that they hire for their meetings.  Eventually the laptop arrived, but that wasnít the end of the matter.  We were also expecting another man about the kitchen, to come and make the final survey for the fitters.  He came in the early afternoon and I then spent a happy (not at all happy :no: ) few hours trying to get the laptop up and running.  The first problem was that I wanted to install Office 365, but I only had a Personal version, so I had to upgrade to Home.  Now, when you go through all the rigmarole, it seems you have to pay the full price for the new version, but I found a post that said they would extend the renewal date.  Anyway I went ahead and indeed, I have an extra year of subscription and the price is identical to the one I had before.

But that wasnít the end of it.  I had terrible trouble with the laptop touchpad.  Unfortunately, I donít have a spare USB mouse, so I had to persevere with everything changing when I didnít want it to, selecting unwanted selections and not selecting wanted selections.  Another bugbear was the fact that it was set up for Microsoft Edge as the default browser.  In the end, I managed to install Firefox, which at least gave me a fighting chance.  However, I did manage to get it all done and installed Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Adobe Reader, but not until well after dark.

I needed some more wood for the log burner and remembered that I hadnít pulled the blinds on the Train Shed, so I used that as an excuse to go outside and run a couple of more sub-cycles, all without incident, apart from the initial nudge required to get 9744 going.

I will need a laptop for the Train Shed eventually, but I think Iíll either get one with a much more amenable touch pad or, more likely, buy an additional USB mouse.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1693 on: November 24, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »
Do you have a special cutter that saves having to use a craft knife to cut out the quoins?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, http://www.zogtrains.com/zing_cutter.html That particular model is no longer available but the replacement seems like it will do the same job and there are many others available from other manufacturers.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1694 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:33 pm »
First thing this morning, I finished off the second full cycle with the last four sub-cycles.  The temperature went down to under 11C last night and when I got there it was only about 12C, so I put the heater on for a bit.  But the running was still very good.  9744 needed a nudge now and again to get started, but sometimes it was fine.  The session involved two runs for 6417 (one DOWN and one UP).  It behaved beautifully.  3846 had a problem starting from the DOWN loops, but the front pony was derailed, so it was straining to go, but going nowhere.  I put the pony back on the track and all was well.  Then it was our usual walk to the butchers followed by more rose pruning.  We have 30 roses altogether and some of them were probably hybrid tea roses many years ago, but now are more like hybrid TREE roses now.  I have been pruning them back during the three years we have been here and this year I am trying to get them right down to what they should be.

Later, I went back to the Train Shed and began work on the facias (or kick boards , as I originally called them).  I fixed the first one in place a week or so ago, but I needed to make a 25mm hole in the next one to accommodate the bolt head in the baseboard frame, which attached the legs, before I could fit the second piece.

I needed to bring down my Workmate (which has been going strong since 1988) and a 25mm flat bit, plus a careful bit of measuring to get the centre in the right place.  Hereís the result with the next piece in place.

Then I had to start at the other end, using the same procedure to accommodate the bolt on the opposite leg.  Of course, the measurements were different, but not too different.  When I had finished the entire run plus the side runs it looked like this.

My trusty workmate is in the centre of the picture, complete with the offcut from the last piece to be fitted to the side run, which needed some attention from the Surform before it could be used to complete the other side (behind the camera).

After that, I had a little time to think about the quoins that I had experimented with a day or so ago.  This time, instead of cutting out the spare bits, I tried folding them back.

This is the effect from the front.

I will need to work hard to perfect the technique, either that or invest in one of the fairly expensive cutter/plotters.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything