Hornby magazine

Started by Chris Morris, May 25, 2016, 09:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

Just been reading Hornby magazine June issue. Except for one review of a CCT there is no mention of N gauge even existing! Won't buy it again.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Komata

But it's the growing scale don't y' know... (at least, so we are told :) )
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Bealman

In all fairness to the publication, their 2016 Yearbook does feature an excellent N gauge project layout, West Riding Power, with full construction details.

Review here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31933.msg365063#msg365063
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silly moo

I like Hornby magazine and although I think that it should have at least one N gauge layout per issue, if it doesn't I can still get inspiration and ideas from layouts in other scales.

Although I model mainly in N, I have a small 00 layout and one 0 gauge loco. I actually prefer going to shows that feature layouts of all shapes and sizes, to me variety is the spice of life.

:NGaugersRule:

Jack

Quote from: Chris m on May 25, 2016, 09:32:01 PM
Just been reading Hornby magazine June issue. Except for one review of a CCT there is no mention of N gauge even existing! Won't buy it again.

I guess it depends upon why you buy a particular magazine.

I only bought Hornby Magazine for the first time last month (May) because of an article relating to DCC. I've always been put off by the name "Hornby" and 00 scale would be all that they talked about, but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of N gauge related material there was within.

Yes June only mentioned the CCT in the review, but did you see last month (May) which highlighted several N gauge models?. To say that the CCT review was the only mention of N Gauge would be wrong. The articular on wheel cleaning products mentions N gauge availability, while the articular on fitting the ADM Indexing turntable kit mentions the N gauge kit, (both articles in the June issue). Likewise with the DCC articles in the May issue, they will cross over all scales.

Magazines provide inspiration, as silly moo says, articles like "Loads of Ballast" (June issue), or "Milk Traffic" (a brilliant article in the May issue) will cross over to any and all gauges.

The real challenge comes in making over sized scale stuff in the correct scale....    :ngauge:

PS. Apologies if this sounds like a rant, its not meant to be, it's just my clumsy way of how I saw the same magazine.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

port perran

Hornby magazine is the only one I subscribe to and I too enjoy it.
I agree that the June issue is VERY sparse N gauge wise but usually it is pretty good at representing our scale.

I like the style of Hornby and I too find inspiration and ideas from other layouts despite the scale.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chris Morris

Quote from: Jack on May 26, 2016, 11:19:19 AM

The articular on wheel cleaning products mentions N gauge availability, while the articular on fitting the ADM Indexing turntable kit mentions the N gauge kit, (both articles in the June issue).
It's great to hear differing views so thanks for the post.

The problem with the wheel cleaning item is that they did not test the N gauge products. My woodland scenics cleaner does not work for quite a number of my N gauge locos including such common things as the dapol pannier. I've abandoned it in favour of a cradle I made myself.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations