Replacing decals on bachfarish.

Started by IkBrunel, January 03, 2018, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkBrunel

I want to remove the old the current decals in a bachfarish pannier tank and replace them with BR details. What is the best way to remove the old decals without marking the green coloured body and who makes the best transfers to replace them with? I would prefer some that could withstand a bit of use and are not too delicate.
Many thanks
David.

NeMo

Others may have their own methods, but I use a cocktail stick, sometimes dipped in IPA if required, to abrade the old transfers. Then a coat of gloss varnish using an airbrush. This is essential -- transfers just don't look good on matt surfaces because matt surfaces are rough. Gloss fills the gaps. Then the transfer (I like Precision decals, but expressly ask for waterslide, which I find easier to use). Microset is very useful when applying them. Let dry, then satin or matt varnish to restore the same finish as the original loco. Job done.

Or not! Usually takes a couple of tries to get it good enough!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Les1952

I generally use a Faber-Castell erasing pencil, rubbed gently in a circular pattern, and with the tip sharpened at frequent intervals.

Almost any method that doesn't leave visible scratches on the surface will wear the top coat of the paint slightly.  However you do need to varnish over the new transfers to keep them from going walkabout as soon as the air gets moist, so that varnish will hide any slightly glossy areas.

Hope this helps.
Les

BTW the pencils are available from any art shop.

ten0G

Quote from: IkBrunel on January 03, 2018, 06:07:53 PM
I want to remove the old the current decals in a bachfarish pannier tank and replace them with BR details. What is the best way to remove the old decals without marking the green coloured body and who makes the best transfers to replace them with? I would prefer some that could withstand a bit of use and are not too delicate.
Many thanks
David.

IkB,

A word of warning if I may, are the decals you wish to remove GW or BR ones? 

The difference between GW mid-chrome green and BR Brunswick green is quite apparent on my Dapol 57xx compared with the later Dapol BR loco I have. 

I reconciled the difference by leaving the "BRITISH RAILWAYS" lettering on the pannier tanks as I'm sure not all pre-totem locos were repainted immediately, especially in the remoter part of West Wales. 

I haven't seen a BachFar GW green loco to compare it with their BR green, but if your loco is GW green, you may find your options very limited unless you are prepared to do a repaint. 

HTH, Tennoji.

IkBrunel

Quote from: ten0G on January 04, 2018, 05:02:52 PM
Quote from: IkBrunel on January 03, 2018, 06:07:53 PM
Many thanks
David.

IkB,

A word of warning if I may, are the decals you wish to remove GW or BR ones? 

The difference between GW mid-chrome green and BR Brunswick green is quite apparent on my Dapol 57xx compared with the later Dapol BR loco I have. 

I reconciled the difference by leaving the "BRITISH RAILWAYS" lettering on the pannier tanks as I'm sure not all pre-totem locos were repainted immediately, especially in the remoter part of West Wales. 

I haven't seen a BachFar GW green loco to compare it with their BR green, but if your loco is GW green, you may find your options very limited unless you are prepared to do a repaint. 

HTH, Tennoji.
I am wanting to remove the GWR decal and replace with Br. I'm not worried about the green but it's just bugging me that everything else I have has BR on and this has GWR. I can just about live with the colour of the lettering is right. Haha.
Are you saying that some pannier tanks may have ran with the old gwr lettering on before being repainted?

ten0G

Quote from: IkBrunel on January 04, 2018, 05:20:40 PM
Are you saying that some pannier tanks may have ran with the old gwr lettering on before being repainted?

Some locos had "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on them instead of "GREAT WESTERN," I believe in GW-style lettering, also no smokebox numberplate with the number still shown on the front and rear buffer-beams. 

Regards,

Tennoji. 

Shropshire Lad

Slight bit of.thread drift sorry. If you aren't planning to replace the removed decals what would you use to match the area to your models finish? I'm thinking satin varnish but wondered what other people have done.
Cheers Colin

geoffc

Not all locos were repainted and rebadged immediately on the formation of British Railways. I recall in the early fifties seeing  pannier tanks still lettered G.W.R. Dont forget BR and the country was strapped for cash after WW2 and changing the badging on locos was a low priority, some carried G.W.R untill 1956.  When repainted after nationalisation they would have been black with firstly BRITISH RAILWAYS in several styles then the cycling lion badge. In 1957 plain green was introduced followed by lined green to some locos and the ferret and dartboard badge. A good source of reference is "Collett and Hawksworth Locos" by Brian Haresnape. As always work from a photo of the real thing as your number may not have been a green loco.

Geoff

Les1952

Indeed there were published pics of panniers in the Swindon dump in the early SIXTIES still lettered GWR.  Panniers were well down the pecking order when it came to getting attention, despite the Western Region's desire to build as many new pannier tanks as the could despite not really needing them.

It is sobering to think that at least three 16xx never saw the inside of a works again after building, being scrapped as they became due for their first overhaul.  There must have been some 57xx in the same category and more than a few 94xx, but I have not the works lists for either of these two classes...

Les

NeMo

Quote from: geoffc on January 05, 2018, 10:02:31 AM
As always work from a photo of the real thing as your number may not have been a green loco.

I don't think this point can be stressed too much. Thank you for making it.

Flip side, there's nothing to stop @IkBrunel going completely freelance with his GWR pannier. For example, making it a preserved one. Perhaps even a depot special -- e.g., add some electrification flashes, and it'a BR-owned machine spruced up for a depot open day! Such things were quite common, and to some degree still are, e.g., BR-blue liveried AC electric locos operating on the network, albeit with updated warning symbols, extra lights, radio antennas, and so on.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ten0G

I hope I've solved my conflict with the Dapol 57xx. 

I recalled reading a letter in a mid or late seventies model magazine (probably Model Railway News), about a B-set rake still in GWR livery in the late fifties in the Honeybourne area. 

I bought a pair of Dapol coaches in the last GWR livery and I think the train makes a fine sight. 

Tennoji.

IkBrunel

Quote from: ten0G on January 05, 2018, 05:33:44 PM
I hope I've solved my conflict with the Dapol 57xx. 

I recalled reading a letter in a mid or late seventies model magazine (probably Model Railway News), about a B-set rake still in GWR livery in the late fifties in the Honeybourne area. 

I bought a pair of Dapol coaches in the last GWR livery and I think the train makes a fine sight. 

Tennoji.
This make me feel a lot better. If Br still ran them in Gwr livery then I will keep it ass it is and use that as an excuse. Ha ha. I always feel uncomfortable about running  the wrong trains and it takes the fun out of it for me. Silly I know!

IkBrunel

I don't suppose anybody has any picture of one pulling br stock in the Br era.
Also which dapol carriages did you buy to go with your dapol 57xx

Les1952

Why not weather it?   Most were filthy even in GWR days.

Stock- a pair of B-set carriages (Dapol) in BR red (not lined maroon if you can get them)- or even three as there were as many "loose" B-set brakes as there were formed into pairs.  There are some lovely pictures of three coach sets (B-set plus matching "loose" brake) on the Looe branch in some of the recent mags.

All the very best
Les

ten0G

Quote from: IkBrunel on January 05, 2018, 06:04:33 PM
Also which dapol carriages did you buy to go with your dapol 57xx

I chose Dapol item 2P-003-000 in chocolate & cream (2-coach pack).  Whether that is correct for the last GWR livery is still a bit uncertain, and whether they would be appropriate for a 64xx I can't say. 

I don't think that Dapol have released B-sets in crimson yet, or unlined maroon. 

HTH, Tennoji.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations