Forum viewing width and photos - a minor query

Started by daffy, March 16, 2017, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Having cleared out all the cookies and history from my iPad, I opened the Forum from an email notification. Of course it took me to the non-full site as I was no longer signed in. Normally signing in is something I have always done as a first action when revisiting the Forum after a clear out. In fact I have never viewed the Forum threads in detail without signing in.

However, this morning I looked at the thread I had linked to first and noticed that the posts filled the full width of my iPad screen, and the full width of any posted photographs was visible.

I immediately thought, this is nice; no need to have to scroll sideways to see the rest of the photo, or click on it to bring it up as a separate window to get the full width. This is something I have to do if signed in, and it is mildly inconvenient.

So I signed in to see what restricts the viewing width, and besides the advertising on the right - which is a necessary part of keeping the Forum going - I looked at the blank side margins of my view, which are in total about an inch wide. I also looked at the white space on the screen.

Would it be at all possible to widen the 'full' site to eliminate the margins, and maybe reduce some of the white space by some minor adjustments so that photos are seen full width at first viewing? At the moment it strikes me that it is far easier to view photos without signing in, or indeed by signing out, particularly if a thread contains a lot of photos in many posts.

But maybe this lack of width is a peculiarity of using an iPad (note that there is no change of view width in Landscape or Portrait orientation ) or the 'full' Forum design prevents any such tinkering.

As the thread title shows, this is just a minor query, not a complaint, and if things have to stay just as they are that's fine.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Just noted:

Signing out is not enough to show full width. I have to clear out all cookies and data again to get that view, something I obviously would not do just to view the photos.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

I've just looked through this, Mike, and I'm sorry, but you have lost me.

Hopefully our tech will be able to make sense of it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Ah! Thanks @Only Me . :thumbsup:

I had a sneaking suspicion that would be the case.

No worries. I'll go back to sleep now. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

DELETED

As someone who looks at the site via windows and android on a good few different devices -I can't say I share your experience unfortunately.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations