!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New chip maker - caution suggested  (Read 7592 times)

Offline MikeDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
New chip maker - caution suggested
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:37:37 am »
Just been reading on the Sprog newsgroup about a new (?) chip provider -  Railway_Maker in West Drayton; I've not heard of them before.  Seems they're selling chips with laisdcc firmware and their own programming on eBay @ about £9 (sorry, I don't have a link).

Now, while they may not be providing N-sized chips yet (no size info was offered), from reading about the "documentation" and how the chip behaved ("However, having reset the speed table, the chip blew immediately I placed it on the main") I would suggest anyone buying these proceeds with caution !!!

Maybe it was just a dodgy chip - or maybe they all are at under a tenner ...  :scowl:

Mike

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:51:35 am by Only Me »

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
Re: New chip maker - caution suggested
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:55 pm »
PS I like the SKY Remote for their system control... One would presume this kit is very new :D

What happens if you have Virgin Media  :doh:

Offline Dr.Rob

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:37:08 pm »
Just a few things plucked from their terms and conditions
Warranty Information
All goods we sell are new, factory fresh and tested by their manufacturers. Only very rarely does an item not function at first use. If this happens, we will do our very best to replace it as long as the below conditions for return are met. Please check your order as soon as you receive it. Any goods to be replaced must be returned within 7 days. There are no exceptions to this.
Except that this is covered by the distant selling regulations from Which:
Your right to cancel an order:
The Distance Selling Regulations state that your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods.
This is the minimum consumers must be given and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to return your items.
As this seven-day working period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, by law the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.

I have been using an item for the past few months and it has stopped working. Can I have a replacement?

This is a bad example was it used once or twice in those months?
Sales of goods act “If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or as described when it sold them.”

My order has been shipped but has not arrived - what has happened to it?
First … Quite often, this is what has happened. Regrettfully (sic), if your package is still missing, we cannot be held responsible if it is not insured.
Unfortunately for the seller this isn’t how the real world works, distant selling regulations dictate that:
“The Distance Selling Regulations say that goods must be delivered within the time frame you agree with the seller. If no time frame is agreed, the seller has 30 days from the day after they receive your order to deliver your goods.”
Regular second class is actually comes with £20 insurance anyway, but that is the sellers concern.

Finally, for purchases over £100 it is always worth using a VISA or VISA debit as it may be possible to issue a charge back.

Regards
Rob

Offline sprogman

• N Gauge Society Number: 17786
  • 2mm Association Number: 4557
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
It's so wrong on a number of counts. The Distance Selling Regulations are in addition to other legal rights that you have. The DSR give you an absolute right to change your mind and return goods for any reason within 7 days (miniumum, as amended by the vendor) of receipt with a full refund including outward postage costs. The vendor can specify that you are responsible for return postage for DSR returns.

Most of the returns clause can be ignored as the DSR are in addition to other legal rights with regard to faulty goods, so the requirement to return within a specific time period is nonsense.

Restocking fees are not allowed.

Requiring you to request a return number for a DSR return is amost certainly unenforceable. All you need do is send an e-mail, fax or letter cancelling the order.

It seems thay have read the Ts&Cs of their suppliers and confused business-business transactions (where DSR do not apply) with business-consumer transactions.

Andrew

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:40 pm »
Reckon I'll stick to the McCains ones :-X

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 03:41:05 pm »
Hi

Some of their documentation (CV settings) looks like it has been copied directly from the TCS manual for the NEU651.

Cheers

Paul

Offline 14Steve14

• Railwayscenics
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 04:04:36 pm »
I don't post often on sites like these, but there is some incorrect information being written about the DSR. These regulations are now out of date and have been superseded by the Consumer Contract Regulations, which came into force on the 13th June 2014.

You now have 14 days to cancel a transaction, but as a consumer you also have an obligation to return the unwanted items at your costs if the sellers term and conditions state that return postage will not be refunded. If there is nothing like that then you should be refunded the return postage.

The best bit, and the bit worth remembering is that if a website does not have T&Cs or has nothing about cancellations you still have 14 days plus 365 days to cancel an order, as long as the product you bought can be refunded and has not had any more use that that for testing and evaluation purposes.

There is a very good article on the Which site here http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations which gives good advice and information.

I hope this clarifies things for some people and forget all about the DSRs as they are old hat now.
Railwayscenics

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »
Right one of us needs to take the plunge here.... So i have purchased two of the above.  Once they arrive I shall fully test and write a review....if they are any good I will send it to Andy at Model Rail for an article....Reasoning for buying two is i want to see if they have any form of short protection built in.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:06:52 pm by Only Me »

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 01:44:35 am »
Here is the Ad for LaisDCC? Chips

£10 for 6 pin decoder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Decoder-2-function-6-pin-OO-HO-N-scale-Laisdcc-New-UK-Stock-/151592850906?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:1120

Made in China and direct selling at US$12 inc postage. :)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DCC-LOCO-DECODER-WITH-6PIN-NEM651-FOR-MODEL-TRAIN/1199970_32223130635.html
Saw similar movement in RC electronic equipment in 2000s where equivalents to major players were a quarter to a tenth in price and sometimes better in quality.  There was also some really poor stuff.

This will be interesting if the manufacturer continues improvements and size decreases.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:29 am »
Yea but a two to three week wait... If they are any good i'll buy them direct next time :) thanks for the link
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:40:38 am by Only Me »

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:40 am »
Not sure this is the same manufacturer, but about 8 months ago I was offered as a distributor ship , 6,8 and 21 pin decoders to sell into Europe.

They were also going to produce sound decoders.

I told them that if they weren't fully NMRA compliant and certified I wasn't interested. They seemed a bit blasé about my comments, however I wasn't prepared to take that manufacturers decoders on without that certification in place as it could open a whole can of worms regarding reliability, compatibility etc.

Please remember that NEM and NMRA supported is not compliant and certified.

The ones offered me also had a heat shrink plastic cover which, due to N gauges restricted space, I suggested they remove on production models.

Caviat emptor I think, but it is a good price.
HTH
Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:05 am »
Hi all, the chips arrived very quickly and both work solidly, dare I say that the one I put into my new class 37 makes it run better than with the TCS chip it had in it previously, the motor is super quiet when running now...

HOWEVER

WE OF THE N GAUGE CLAN WILL HAVE ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM!!!! :D

They are so bloody big you cant get them into Dapol units and I couldnt put the body back on the 37 without removing one of the cab ends!! Oh well you live and learn :)

Dunce signing off!!  :dunce:

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:11:09 am »
They do fit in 108's and 101's though... So maybe will use them in the dummy cars!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here