Cars are getting bigger

Started by TrevL, April 24, 2018, 07:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Skyline2uk

Re the remote moving thing; Tesla have a similar feature (as demonstrated during the most recent series of The Grand Tour by one J Clarkson).

Of course this is all a moot point, self-driving cars are coming and it's inevitable.

I just hope that, like the horse before, sporty cars are retained as "playthings".

Skyline2uk

daffy

Quote from: njee20 on April 25, 2018, 07:54:07 AM
The fact the current Golf R does 0.60 in 4.5 seconds is madness, that was supercar speed not long ago. And they're still not massive, just a bit bigger than 40 years ago!

I've driven my step-son's 'R' and it's just a bit quick! Stepping out of it and back into my similarly sized and shaped Golf diesel was rather a come down, but I consoled myself with the fact that here in Lincolnshire it is rare to be able to drive over 50mph most of the time, and my trusty steed has one big advantage for me - it's superb fuel consumption.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

On a separate note, I've saved a packet on my car insurance by installing a 'Trunk Monkey'....

yeah. I know. Strange trilogy ???

daffy

:laughabovepost:

I suppose if you own one of those big SUVs you get a 'Trunk gorilla' as standard?  :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Buzzard

Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 24, 2018, 08:11:38 PMFinally, there is a sort of arms-race going on. Those "SUV" things (Freelander, X5, M-Class etc etc) bought by families cause others to do so, thinking they need more physical metal to protect them from being hit by, well, other SUVs!

This is a common problem in my area which is solved by always being behind an SUV as they charge around in top gear at a zillion miles an hour but have no idea how to reverse.

If you're unfortunate enough to meet an "out of area" SUV in a lane and it's nearest to a passing place the driver has to get the manual out to help to select reverse, then they back into the bank, forward a bit, back again but into the other bank and so on.  Sometimes they just look pleadingly at you hoping that you'll take pity on them (which is sometimes a LOT quicker).

Malc

I must admit to driving a SUV. When a driver shot a red light and ploughed into my Hybrid Auris, I was loaned a Honda SUV. Having suffered with a bad back for years, I found it a pleasure to get in and out of the SUV as no bending was required. Hence, when I changed my car, I bought a RAV 4. I still have my bad back, but getting in and out of the car doesn't elicit any cries of pain.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

LongHairedDavid

I have a Skoda Yeti for the same reason. Arthritis means that I cannot get into an "ordinary" car any more but placing my bottom on the seat and swivelling in works for me. I got one of the last Yetis because the deal included all the extras but next time it will be a Karoq. Mind you, I am concerned about getting my wheelchair hoist in the back of that - time will tell.
David
FC - Pennvale Sands - N Gauge
Ex - Main Man on the Sunset & North Eastern RR.
http://pennvaleblog.co.uk

The Q

Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 24, 2018, 08:11:38 PM

Finally, there is a sort of arms-race going on. Those "SUV" things (Freelander, X5, M-Class etc etc) bought by families cause others to do so, thinking they need more physical metal to protect them from being hit by, well, other SUVs!

Skyline2uk

My Vehicle fails all crash tests, but according to statistics is one of the safest vehicles to have a crash in.

why?
A, The chassis is directly conneceted to the bumpers and made of similar gauge galvanised steel,
B There is a sticker available for Landrovers..... Remember your car is MY crumple zone....

Portpatrick

I'll stick to my (second) Mk 7 Golf for now.  Not yet encountered seriour Suv issues on country lanes.  Just the sheer idiocy of satnavs.  But that is for another thread.

themadhippy

Cars have had to get bigger due to the fact humans have got larger. Years ago a mini with the seats down and windows open was more than enough room for a young courting couple,if you was lucky enough to borrow your  dads cortina it was like  having a mobile king sized bed,now with an increase in obesity the  average teenager  requires a much larger passion wagon.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

davidinyork

Quote from: themadhippy on April 25, 2018, 03:16:36 PM
Cars have had to get bigger due to the fact humans have got larger.
How come this doesn't apply to trains, then?

Portpatrick

On trains you just get to know your fellow customers more closely.

cycletrak9

Years ago a mini with the seats down and windows open was more than enough room for a young courting couple

David Beckham's son was named Brooklyn after the place where he was conceived. You don't by any chance have a son called "Cooper S" ?

PLD

Quote from: cycletrak9 on April 25, 2018, 06:47:49 PM
Years ago a mini with the seats down and windows open was more than enough room for a young courting couple

David Beckham's son was named Brooklyn after the place where he was conceived. You don't by any chance have a son called "Cooper S" ?
Should I put that question to my colleague nick-named "skippy"??  >:D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations