Mr and Mrs Skyline and the Rocky Mountaineer

Started by Skyline2uk, May 28, 2017, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mito

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 28, 2017, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: Mito on May 28, 2017, 06:04:33 PM
Lovely photos and videos. Congratulations. I hope you realise  that you are now totally controlled! I've been for 47 years and enjoying it. :thumbsup:

Totally analogue control of course! Not yet gone digital  ;)

Oh one, oh one, oh one, oh dear! Analogue is much better. ;)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Malc

Some great photos Adam. We did the trip from Banff to Vancouver some years ago. We went gold leaf on the mountaineer as well. Well worth the extra cost. Plus we spent 72 hours on the Canadian from Toronto to Jasper. A great holiday which we still fondly remember as you will I'm sure.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Congratulations on your wedding, Adam. Seems this is the year for them, one of my own daughters was married in February.  :thumbsup:

Mrs Bealman retired at Easter, and the Rocky Mountaineer is top of the list of travel plans. Your pictures have made sure that it stays there!

Thanks for posting!   :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Adam, all  the best to you, Mrs Skyline and your coming lives together.

And, thank you very much for your photos. They remind me of why I chose to model the Canadian Pacific Railway in southern British Columbia. To me, the most spectacular scenery in the region is the canyons of the Fraser and Thompson Rivers which appear in your photos. Can you imagine the building of the railway through them more than 100 years ago?

Webbo

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Webbo on May 29, 2017, 02:08:17 AM
Adam, all  the best to you, Mrs Skyline and your coming lives together.

And, thank you very much for your photos. They remind me of why I chose to model the Canadian Pacific Railway in southern British Columbia. To me, the most spectacular scenery in the region is the canyons of the Fraser and Thompson Rivers which appear in your photos. Can you imagine the building of the railway through them more than 100 years ago?

Webbo

The hosts on the train told stories and gave a history of the railway as we went along, but the remote nature of the locations boggles my mind. How on Earth that route / routes were built without modern equipment is beyond me.

Skyline2uk

Steamie+

Congratulations Adam and too Mrs Skyline,    :claphappy:  i hope you have many happy years together. Those photo's are mind blowing and the loco's are awesome, i am in 2 minds to get myself an N Gauge one, i could use it has a visitor to my layout, but hey Adam Rule 1 has the late jonclox always said, is going to be used on my layout anyway so it won't matter.

Again congrats to you and the missis and enjoy your lives together.

All the Best.

Rod aka Steamie +   

Steamie+

By the way Adam, i was looking at one of these yesterday.

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/uploaded_photos/Kato-n-Scale-176-8904-Canadian-Pacific-8705.JPG   8)

And this,

http://www.traintrax.co.uk/#image  8)

Although i don't think EMD F7A is or was used on the Canadian lines, i stand corrected if it was, they are both great looking loco's i think and cheaper then the British diesels, from GF and Dapol.  Happy Modelling Adam.   :thumbsup:

Webbo

Steamie

The loco in your first link is a model of an ES44AC of 4400 HP and manufactured by GE. It and the similar looking and older AC4400 are the main units used to haul freight along the Canadian Pacific mainline in British Columbia in the present day. The two locos in Adam's 6th photo are almost certainly AC4400s. Kato modelled the AC4400 also, but Fox Valley Models also makes the ES44AC.

Canadian Pacific didn't use F7s but they did run FP7s which were essentially F7s extended by 4' to accommodate a steam generator unit for passenger service. Models of these are made by Intermountain.

Webbo

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Webbo on May 29, 2017, 07:58:13 AM
Steamie

The loco in your first link is a model of an ES44AC of 4400 HP and manufactured by GE. It and the similar looking and older AC4400 are the main units used to haul freight along the Canadian Pacific mainline in British Columbia in the present day. The two locos in Adam's 6th photo are almost certainly AC4400s. Kato modelled the AC4400 also, but Fox Valley Models also makes the ES44AC.

Canadian Pacific didn't use F7s but they did run FP7s which were essentially F7s extended by 4' to accommodate a steam generator unit for passenger service. Models of these are made by Intermountain.

Webbo

Thanks for the info Webbo. I was very tempted by an n gauge loco in Candadian Pacific red, as you say those locos in my 6th picture were the inspiration.

I am not sure what the n gauge model was, but it was an Atlas model I believe.

Skyline2uk

Bealman

I'm heading over to Canberra soon to have a look at Webbo's lovely Canadian layout. Watch this forum!  :beers:

Webbo

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 29, 2017, 08:04:31 AM

Thanks for the info Webbo. I was very tempted by an n gauge loco in Candadian Pacific red, as you say those locos in my 6th picture were the inspiration.

I am not sure what the n gauge model was, but it was an Atlas model I believe.

Skyline2uk

Hi Adam

Atlas makes GP35 and GP38 locos (4 axle) in Canadian Pacific red, but not the AC4400 or ES44AC which are both 6 axle and more modern. The Rocky Mountaineer is pulled by 4 axle GP40s.

And, I'd like to warn George to not get his expectations up for his visit with me.

Webbo

Mirrlees

As this strays slightly off topic Tim & I must first offer congrats to Adam & Alexandra on their nuptials. May all your troubles be small ones as they say & little Skyliners be strictly N Gauge enthusiasts.
On the subject of modelling Canadian in N Gauge we can offer something a bit closer to the west of England than Canberra (much as I would love to go to Canberra!). The West Wilts Model Railway Circle is presently building a 20ft N Gauge layout based on the Thompson River valley in British Columbia complete with Rocky Mountaineer,  & CN & CP freights. So if Adam, & everyone else is tempted by Adam's excellent photos please come & visit. We are based at The Clubroom,  Acreshort Lane, Steeple Ashton,  Trowbridge  BA14 6HD & are holding an open day 1.30pm to 6.00pm on Sunday 4th June 2017.
Our club night is Wednesday eveningcommencing 7.30pm,
The layout is work in progress with the wiring of the 22 storage tracks, and with the scenery which is further along with both the river & bridges in situ.   
The Open Day is in association with Gardens day at Steeple Ashton so other halves interested with matters horticultural will have lots to interest them around the village.
Tea & bikkies are provided. :greatpicturessign:
Posted by Tim & Stuart on Tim's PC.
Thanks for the loan of the topic!
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

Mito

I have two books that give the history of the building of railways in British Columbia.  Both are by Robert D. Turner, the first, West of the Great Divide, the second,  Steam on the Kettle Valley. They are both very interesting reads.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Bealman

Quote from: Mirrlees on May 29, 2017, 01:40:17 PM
As this strays slightly off topic Tim & I must first offer congrats to Adam & Alexandra on their nuptials. May all your troubles be small ones as they say & little Skyliners be strictly N Gauge enthusiasts.
On the subject of modelling Canadian in N Gauge we can offer something a bit closer to the west of England than Canberra (much as I would love to go to Canberra!). The West Wilts Model Railway Circle is presently building a 20ft N Gauge layout based on the Thompson River valley in British Columbia complete with Rocky Mountaineer,  & CN & CP freights. So if Adam, & everyone else is tempted by Adam's excellent photos please come & visit. We are based at The Clubroom,  Acreshort Lane, Steeple Ashton,  Trowbridge  BA14 6HD & are holding an open day 1.30pm to 6.00pm on Sunday 4th June 2017.
Our club night is Wednesday eveningcommencing 7.30pm,
The layout is work in progress with the wiring of the 22 storage tracks, and with the scenery which is further along with both the river & bridges in situ.   
The Open Day is in association with Gardens day at Steeple Ashton so other halves interested with matters horticultural will have lots to interest them around the village.
Tea & bikkies are provided. :greatpicturessign:
Posted by Tim & Stuart on Tim's PC.
Thanks for the loan of the topic!
The layout and open day sound fantastic, however being this coming weekend,  it's a bit short notice for me  :D ;)

Seriously, hope it all goes well,  and some piccies would be nice for us Antipodeans.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations