Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardatme

As with most people on here Space and Rented flatlet.
I do not want to drill holes in the wall to fit a swing up board nor do I have the free space to fit one. I could suspend one from the exposed wooden ceiling joists, but again the restriction of space would make it hard to get round the layout.
While the increased range of models is a temptation. I'm going for n gauge
To Many Interests Not Enough Time
............I just beaver away............

railsquid

Space... I live in Japan and while the space issue is not as bad as it sounds (I saw some statistics recently that the average new build size in the UK is smaller than in Japan) unless you're out in the countryside, having a garden shed or even a loft is pretty much out of the question. It's also the dominant gauge in Japan and there's a lot of good quality stuff available - my previous impression of N-gauge (this is from like 25 years ago mind) is that it looked crude compared to OO/HO. However I'm blown away by the fact that I can just lay out some Kato track on a flat surface without securing it in any way and run these beautiful little trains round and round, even over multiple points, without the track shifting or them derailing. They're also pretty good value for money.

Mirrlees

I was originally modelling in 00, the same as my Father.  I had an industrial accident in 2002 and has my injury worsened over the years I eventually realised that I wouldn't be living a house where I could do 4mm, so just over 7 years ago I switched to N and I've never looked back.

I really like the fact that I can have scale length trains without needing a hanger!
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

nomad

My interest in model railways began with 00 like i guess with many others of you. My switch to n gauge was born out of the combination of two factors....

1. Being fascinated with various exhibition based n gauge layouts appearing in the Model Press, (Castle Cary & Acton Mainline being some of the early ones) and how much they looked like sections of real railway due to the achievable scale distances and scale length trains.

2. The big idea that i've had in my head for twenty years will only ever be workable using n gauge.

Mr PJ

At the age of 6 I got an "OO" (sorry for the bad language on forum...) trainset from my grandparents after much begging for a train-set, though I was disappointed I didn't get a diesel.
Eventually this expanded, but I think I went to an exhibition, or saw in a shop display an "n" gauge layout, I remember it had a small branch terminal and oval of track (probably double track) and a Met Cam DMU amongst other things. The small scale fascinated me as a child, and I wondered how they fitted the motors into the trains in such small models.

I eventually built a layout about 20 years ago, about 6 x 4, but got frustrated with the poor detail of some models and in particular the problems with couplings, the inability to easily couple and uncouple and wagons coming adrift, so gave up modelling, although I did want to have a small N gauge layout still.

Then the advent of DCC sound re-ignited my interest in modelling and I started to buy "OO" scale stuff again, with plans for a Scottish region model based on the Aberdeen to Inverness route. I agree that "OO" models can seem toy like and my attention was drawn to some of the fantastic N gauge models that were coming out like the Dapol 26. Compare that with my old Minitrix 27! A different world really.

Hence I decided to start building a small N gauge layout (turned out to be about 5 x 3) with my old track and point motors etc.

To cut a long story short, I had a dabble with DCC sound in N, and also the new Dapol magnetic couplings. Suddenly - no need for "OO" as I can build a more realistic scenic layout with sweeping curves in 2mm scale, and still have loco's and stock that can do everything that their 4mm counterparts can do, albeit with a bit of effort - although it is satisfying to have something very different. And I guess that fitting all this gubbins into such small loco's was born out of my fascination with "how do they make such small trains work?" as a child.

All they "toys" (OO loco's) were either sold off, or given to my nephew to go on an "OO" model I have built for him...

Paul

shandy

Had a "OO" gauge train set as a child, but looking back I think it really belonged to my father and uncle :worried:

Started in n-gauge about 25 years ago just after we bought our first house, I went for n mainly because of space limitations and the desire to have a layout in the landscape rather than just the railway. Having said that the first layout was just 4' x 3'.

We're in house #4 now and I have requisitioned the smallest bedroom which has a continuous run double track mainline and a branch off it that goes around 3 of the 4 walls. I stuck with n because the models are getting better and better and still like the fact that I can build a lot into a small space - I'd have had to requisition the living room or gone into the loft to build the equivalent layout in OO.

What originally started as a GWR 1930's theme/collection has now grown to include LMS and LNER steamers, then I made the mistake of buying DP1 a couple of years back and that has led to a BR green diesel fleet... Oh well it's only money.

I dabble a bit in O gauge - and 7mm narrow too, mainly to build the locos but I've got nothing to run them on, Mrs H will not entertain a layout in the lounge or the loss of another bedroom. Fortunately, a good mate of mine provides "running rights" on his 7mm narrow gauge layout and he's about to extend it with some mixed gauge and standard 7mm track which will give me an excuse to build my 7mm Connoisseur J79 which is sat in my kit stash

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/J79%20Class%20LNER.html

acko22

I had a small amount of OO gauge items from when I was younger, and was tempted when I bought my house and had the room for OO to go that way, but well I got lucky on an N gauge layout and it had a lot of plus points for me.

I could achieve more running wise in N gauge with the space available, make it more technical with regards the running which makes it more fun for me and finally OO while this doesn't cover the complete spectrum there seems to be a leaning towards the toy approach on some models that would be the era I am looking at which isn't the case in N gauge.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Trainfish

You're thinking Star Trek/Wars again aren't you Agrippa?
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Agrippa

N Gauge warp drive Mr Sulu and set course for planet Dapol !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Agrippa on January 04, 2015, 11:29:42 AM

Planet Dapol, of course, exists in a time space continuum which renders useless any information regarding timelines and causes inhabitants to age prematurely whilst waiting for products/services to be completed.

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on January 04, 2015, 11:52:32 AM

Planet Dapol, of course, exists in a time space continuum which renders useless any information regarding timelines and causes inhabitants to age prematurely whilst waiting for products/services to be completed.
Perhaps Planet Dapol use warp drives from an unreliable supplier with poor quality control then?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: austinbob on January 04, 2015, 11:55:47 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 04, 2015, 11:52:32 AM

Perhaps Planet Dapol use warp drives from an unreliable supplier with poor quality control then?

Rumours of a warped drive have been strenuously denied by a world spokesperson.

ASFC

I had a 'OO' Clockwork Thomas set as a young child-but lost interest in it for lego..... :uneasy:

When I started going to my secondary school my interest was rekindled (coupled with sudden easy access to the internet!) and at one point was hooked on N Gauge-but as this was the Early days of the Bachmann shift of Farish to China there wasn't enough available to keep me going and 'OO' (electric this time) was purchased.

About 2 years later I had lost interest due to lack of space and I traded the lot in at the local model shop for a new BachFar RES 47 Trainset. The rest as they say is history. :ngauge:

cornish yorkie

First saw Japanese N Gauge a few years ago and love the detail and how good the long trains look. Purchased allsorts of N and just need a layout now to do them justice.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations