!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kilsby Drift  (Read 846 times)

Offline Gavin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20062
    • Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
Kilsby Drift
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Kilsby Drift

Having succumbed to the temptation of a new Pendelino  from Revolution and with their imminent arrival I started to think about a layout to run them on.  I already had some class 350's in LMS green and grey livery so the layout would need to be  both WCML or other Pendelino route and somewhere the 350's  frequented.

I already have a modern layout (Crawley Yard)  http://grcrailways.co.uk/crawley-yard/ so already have a fleet of 66's and a range of mineral wagons so could I reuse these?    The Crawley Yard layout is modular and fits into the WSNG system but the new layout would need to be different.  It would need to be longer but for exhibitions it needs to have something to watch beyond the trains running round. Could I include some kind of industry or a station or both.

Whilst I'm not actually sure how long a 11 Car Pendelino is going to be I can estimate each coach at around 7 Inches and the power cars around 5 for a total around 84 Inches 7 Feet or 2.1M.  An  8 foot layout wasn’t going to cut it and a station would need to be massive if trains were going to stop.   The layout needs to fit in the car so I think if I kept the height down I could get 4 boards In the car - around 16 Feet of layout and with loops at each end that’s 12 foot scenic, reducing the pendelino down to 8 or 9 cars would be 6 feet so at least a space at each end

So that’s my basic criteria defined,  I'm going to use the same Gaugemaster Prodigy set up and JMRI as the current layouts but maybe with two operator positions similar to layouts such as Banbury

• WCML with Catenary - Running full length Pendelinos
   • Exhibition focused -  Main Line Running
   • Independent fiddle yards to allow fast flow of trains onto scenic section
   • DCC Control,  JMRI Route setting on Laptop PC's  (one each end)

One of the great things about building modern based layouts is Google Earth,  Having looked at the Pendelino routes and starting in London I started to work northwards looking for potential locations. Watford was interesting but far too complicated.   Just north of Northampton I came across the Dirft Railport and the genesis of the layout was conceived.    Not aggregates but containers and not just a couple but hundreds.   Would it all fit ?

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
Re: Kilsby Drift
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »
First draft of  a potential trackplan attached,   Going to be tight in 12 feet even with lots of compression but managed to get a sweeping curve included for the main line with some long exchange sidings and 4 roads for the Railport section I'm going to model.  I'm not sure about the Fiddleyard and if the design isn't to complicated and if having 3 long roads for each line wouldn't be better. The headshunt is also an issue and I think would require a break of a smaller number of container wagons to be propelled around by what I think is a class 08 shunter .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:53:14 pm by Gavin, Reason: Changed Attachment to PDF »

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:25:04 pm »
Um, that plan isn't really helpful. 10MB of many A4 sheets is not easily readable on a computer.  :no:  ;)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:57 pm »
presume your going to invoke rule 1 from the start ,most of the fast wcml traffic  turns left just after roade ,or right just after rugby.The line from roade to rugby that passes drift normally only carries slower local traffic.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 07:53:47 pm »

• WCML with Catenary - Running full length Pendelinos

Hurrah!  Not much n-gauge catenary about; most people just put the masts up and leave it at that.   :(

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:56:19 pm »
Revised the drawing as I hadn't appreciated the way that Any Rail formats PDF's.   

Didn't know about the line only being for slow traffic.  May have to continue the search or consider a failure on the other line acceptable :-(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:16:07 am by Gavin »

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:37:17 am »
Interesting article this month in one of the magazines about the overhead power wires used in different parts of the network and how these have developed over the last 80 years or so.   When I initially envisaged the layout I was thinking of something quite heavy duty with regularly spaced structured overhead frames.  Looking at the pictures around Kilsby the uprights are fairly lightweight and the same for the overhead wires.  This may be a challenge in N Gauge and maybe another reason to look for an alternate location with something a little more durable and buildable.   

One of the key things to do over the summer will have to be some primary research, having mainly lived south of London I have no photos and apart from rare glimpses of some overhead when on holidays. Going to need a few pictures and probably a couple of site visits to nail this.  If anyone has any pictures around Dirft I could use that would be very useful - thanks - A fair few pictures on line Flickr and Britishrailways.tv but need my own to post.

I've never studied this subject.  I have seen a few layouts with this done some with wires and some with just the frames so I'll be looking at this in detail over the next shows I attend.   Jon,  I'll go back and look at how you did it on Deansmoor as I remember that being very effective although not seen this now for a year or so.

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:45:58 am »

Link to one of Deansmoor photos from Jon and Neil.  I think the catenary is the same or similar at Kilsby so It certainly looks doable. Just need to carry on the reading now and find out how you did it :-)

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:48:32 am »
Link to N  Brass Loco's  website,  A range of different options here to consider

http://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/ncat.html

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 09:38:11 am »
Burshaw North Western is a fine example of a layout without the 'knitting' but with the masts......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gy_0uRPH7w

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:59:00 am »
Only just spotted this!

Yes, plenty of examples of both, with some done very well and some less so (IMO). Plenty of decent layouts without the knitting - Horseley Fields, Drem, AndyRA's "West Coast southern section" on here.

Personally for me I think layouts look better with the wires - I totally get the thing about 'scale viewing distances', and how you can't see the wires etc, but my eye expects to see them! Kinlet Wharf, Deansmoor above, definitely for the better. I can think of one or two I've seen where the execution hasn't been as good, but names elude me, and it would be unfair when they're probably still better than I'd manage!

Re: the location, DIRFT itself is obviously more expansive - so whilst Pendolinos don't usually operate past DIRFT, I think using it as the basis for an intermodal terminal rather than a faithful reproduction is reasonable - plenty of logistics hubs in the West Midlands after all. Or yes, consider engineering works on the route between Roade and Rugby.

Offline Gavin

• Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:27:23 am »
Snaffled a post from the competiton,   Ben if you read this I hope you don’t mind :-)

“Hi there,

When we in the NGS Northants and Cambs area group decided to depict OHLE I had a good look at both real catenary and other models I admired.

My conclusions were that:

1)  When we look at real catenary, we usually do it from quite close and below - for example on station platforms - so it is silhouetted against the sky and catches the eye.  We rarely if ever see our models this way.  We normally view our models from above, and from at least 50 scale metres.  When you look at catenary this way - say from the top of a car park - the wires tend to disappear.

2)  I am not convinced that in N anything approaching scale wire is realistically achievable.  I have certainly never seen it.  Even OHLE layouts I admire with catenary has it either noticeable over scale, or not straight.  Probably the best I have seen is on Alan Whitehouse's  "mini Manchester-Sheffield-Wath" in 2mm and that is done with elasticated fishing wire I believe; but because it is all under tension the contact wire is pinched toward the support wire, rather than being level.

3)  Even "stretchy" catenary makes track access and baseboard joins problematic.  For an exhibition layout that needed to be portable and regularly cleaned this was an issue.

For these reasons we went for masts but no wires.  We used Dapol masts with portals from N Brass and Statesman.  There are plenty of photos of the layout in our thread.  Of course as others have said, in the end only you can decide what are the priorities for your layout. “

More food for thought

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:38:07 pm by Gavin »

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:05 pm »
The catenary wires aren't meant to be totally straight.  If they were, they would wear a groove in the pantograph contact.  However, kinks in the wire between pylons would look very odd. 

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »
Without wish to a) totally divert the topic and b) be 'that person', the catenary wire is just the uppermost wire on most conventional OHLE systems, which follows an arc between masts. The contact wire should indeed be straight - I think Ben's quoted post is eluding to the catenary wire being under tension such that the contact wire is pulled up toward it, which it shouldn't be.

There should be stagger on the wires such that the contact (and catenary) wires 'zig-zag' left to right as you say, to spread the wear on the pantograph head. No reason this shouldn't be modelled. There should never be 'kinks', it's wire under tension, inherently it can't kink.

For anyone interested in the technicalities of OHLE Clive Mortimore has some great schematics linked to from here.

Online Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »
presume your going to invoke rule 1 from the start ,most of the fast wcml traffic  turns left just after roade ,or right just after rugby.The line from roade to rugby that passes drift normally only carries slower local traffic.

A quick glance on google images using something like 'Dirft Pendolino' will prove some photographic evidence to confirm that they do pass the Dirft site (admittedly not an everyday sight, but regularly enough to be more than plausible).

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here