!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scottish plan steam to diesel - Now SW Scotland plan  (Read 3714 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Re: Scottish plan steam to diesel - Now SW Scotland plan
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2018, 03:38:41 pm »
Thinking of scenery wise the bridge in Kirkcudbright will be great to model, and will try and model the church as well, which was opposite the station. Tongland Power Station will be a challenge but think it can be done. Finding plans for it would help, but if not a best guess will work. I have plans for both stations which makes things easier.
So next step is to work out what to do with my current 4x2 flat boards I currently have (8 of them). they were made the normal way with 2x1 timber and 9mm ply. If anyone has any ideas, that would be a great help.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »

So next step is to work out what to do with my current 4x2 flat boards I currently have (8 of them). they were made the normal way with 2x1 timber and 9mm ply. If anyone has any ideas, that would be a great help.

Sounds a bit brutal but I'd wait until you have settled on a track plan then remove the flat tops and, using a jig saw, cut the 9mm ply to match the track plan and mount it on battens. Then you can have scenic stuff above and below track level. For joining boards together I'd suggest you look at using these folks as their service is excellent...........

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/menu_fittings.htm

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2018, 05:58:43 pm »

Sounds a bit brutal but I'd wait until you have settled on a track plan then remove the flat tops and, using a jig saw, cut the 9mm ply to match the track plan and mount it on battens. Then you can have scenic stuff above and below track level. For joining boards together I'd suggest you look at using these folks as their service is excellent...........

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/menu_fittings.htm

Well plan is almost there hence the question. Do you know of any topics or layouts that use the baseboard method you have mentioned?

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2018, 11:37:28 pm »
Our Northallerton layout used the method @newportnobby describes. Link in sig.

Its a stay at home layout isnt it? So I would join the board together permanently in the way that best fits the plan. You can always add other sections if you need to.

cheers
kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the July 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller
and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2018, 10:03:01 am »
The middle board of my small layout is constructed in that way as I wanted a road running under the railway..............

resulting in this.........

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2018, 11:35:37 am »
The middle board of my small layout is constructed in that way as I wanted a road running under the railway..............

resulting in this.........

That's a lovely picture, Mick.  A really impressive scene.

Many thanks for posting it.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:05 pm »

Silly question time. Seems to be made similar to a normal board with 2 long lengths and ends making a rectangle, then cross members are wide side down and provide support for track. Then board at back provides height at rear of layout. Is that correct?

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2018, 03:17:09 pm »
I'm really impressed Mick, I thought you'd lost your mojo and then up pops this lovely scene.   :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:39 pm »

Silly question time. Seems to be made similar to a normal board with 2 long lengths and ends making a rectangle, then cross members are wide side down and provide support for track. Then board at back provides height at rear of layout. Is that correct?

It is correct, indeed. The cross member being at that angle just supports the hardboard road. I would suggest you take your flat surface as 'ground zero' and place timber battens on your cross members to support your rails, whereas mine is still 'ground zero' but the road is lowered beneath it.

I'm really impressed Mick, I thought you'd lost your mojo and then up pops this lovely scene.   :thumbsup:

Thanks, Caz, but that pic is at least 2 years old and has been posted before on my 'Bletchford' layout thread.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:13 pm »
Thanks. Someone has suggested a L Girder design as well, similar to yours. Between the two, I am sure I can build something.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2018, 07:56:07 am »
Here is apicture of our Northallerton layout under construction. You can see that the board sections are built with sandwich construction girders. This gave us the opportunity to use the open spaces of the girders as supports, by inserting pieces of timber into the girders. Notably, the legs work that way too. The girders are made from 6mm ply and spacers between the ply will be a nominal inch in thickness.
Not that any of this matters since you have your boards. As @newportnobby says, use your existing boards flat tops as ground zeron and build upwards. Try to avoid using teh board surface as your trackbed as you wont essily be able to create embankments etc.
Hope this helps.

Northallerton is making its next appearance in the July 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller
and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:03 pm »
Hi all

After a little bit of help. If I were to make Tarff a passing station, where would I be best putting the points? And if I made it a double line, where and how would you connect the lines?
Any help much appreciated.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2018, 09:09:26 pm »
This is a pretty rubbish diagram but if you doubled the line I'd make the connecting crossovers part of the bends like so.....

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £62.00
Above Goal: £7.00
Site Currency: GBP
113% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything