!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Folding layouts - anyone built something like this?  (Read 150 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Folding layouts - anyone built something like this?
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
I have been set a new challenge, due to space in our hallway, to build a layout that folds flat against a wall and into a storage box, so it looks all neat and tidy and that box is standing on the floor. The layout is 6 foot by 4 foot. I am allowed to screw it to the wall so can build the box around any supports, workings etc.  I am inspired by this design - see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tereomp-Xgo

(The concept is right but my layout will fold long side parallel with the floor).

Before I get into it, has anyone on the forum built anything like this and can give me some tips?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:36:05 pm by DarrwestLU6 »

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Folding layouts - anyone built something like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:50:08 pm »
When I was a lad, my dad built me a layout that was hinged against the wall. It was offset by about 4”. A couple of pulleys and some clothes line enabled me to raise and lower it.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Folding layouts - anyone built something like this?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:04:53 am »
It does mean that all your scenery needs to be very strongly secured, and you have to take all locos and stock off the layout of course.

When I was a lad in the 70s I had a 6x4 where the whole thing winched up to the ceiling in my bedroom and out of the way.  I think I've still got the pulleys somewhere!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything