The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow

New Farish Thompson coaches - GBP38 at Hattons. So about 50% more than current tooling. What the...

Jimbo

Quote from: longbow on January 09, 2017, 08:06:42 AM
New Farish Thompson coaches - GBP38 at Hattons. So about 50% more than current tooling. What the...

Jeez!!  :worried:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Newportnobby

I reckon Hattons have taken a wild flier at this. Rails don't list the Thompsons and the Farish website says TBA. Assuming the 'normal 15%' reduction allowable it would make full retail £44.70.
Mind you, looking at the prices of some of their bogie wagons.................................... :hmmm:

Bob Tidbury

Those prices are going through the roof as a pensioner there is no way I could afford a rake of coaches at those prices and as for Locos it will take all my families Christmas and Birthday money and some more to buy one loco so I will have to keep my old stock running and rely on Union Mills to bring out some more GWR Locos at sensible value for money prices and then realy need one of the new offerings and beg even more money to buy it .
Would it really improve the quality and reduce prices if things were made in the UK , now that the Chineese are asking for more money.
Bob

Mito

I too am a pensioner. I shall make do with what I have and enjoy them. Those that have disposable income for this hobby, fine but I really do think that the manufactures are doing themselves no favours with their pricing. Perhaps it's time to think about a change in my hobby?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

dannyboy

Quote from: newportnobby on January 08, 2017, 02:32:02 PM
@austinbob
Having read your wonderful (and oh so understandable) post how on earth could you not have shoehorned in 'running it up the flagpole' somehow ;)

I saw on an email this morning one of the most ridiculous examples of 'modern' speech. One of the lads who works with me received the email from a lady in the main offices, regarding some new starters and she was on about signing them into the system and concluded with "and I will touch base with you later".   ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Quote from: dannyboy on January 09, 2017, 09:20:25 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on January 08, 2017, 02:32:02 PM
@austinbob
Having read your wonderful (and oh so understandable) post how on earth could you not have shoehorned in 'running it up the flagpole' somehow ;)

I saw on an email this morning one of the most ridiculous examples of 'modern' speech. One of the lads who works with me received the email from a lady in the main offices, regarding some new starters and she was on about signing them into the system and concluded with "and I will touch base with you later".   ???

Are you sure she was referring to the starters? ;) :o :goggleeyes:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Sprintex

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 09, 2017, 06:50:56 PM
Would it really improve the quality and reduce prices if things were made in the UK , now that the Chinese are asking for more money.

Don't know regarding model trains Bob, but the company I work for has just finished shifting all its production in-house and told the Chinese manufacturing company to get lost. May not be cheaper just yet, but apparently the increase in quality and the better control over it is worth the minimal extra it's costing :thumbsup:

Paul

keithfre

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 09, 2017, 06:50:56 PM
Would it really improve the quality and reduce prices if things were made in the UK , now that the Chineese are asking for more money.
Trouble is, Bob, Bachmann is a Chinese company, so for them it'd be outsourcing.

steve836

Quote from: daffy on January 08, 2017, 03:27:23 PM
@austinbob
Brilliant, just brilliant. :thumbsup: Made me laugh out loud, which as my wife will testify, is a rare thing.

Now, if only the light at the end of the tunnel would come back on...... ;)

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some so-and so with a torch bringing more work
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

daveg

Re 2017 prices; all I would say is thank goodness I have more than enough rolling stock to run on my current and even an expanded layout.

Starting from scratch right now will be a particularly expensive time but I remember a Minitrix Britannia was an arm and a leg 35/40 years ago when I had my first layout.

Do hope that the current round of price increases doesn't put off too many folk from joining us in a great hobby.

Dave G

Bob Tidbury

To be honest the detail of N Gauge stock has improved dramatically since I bought my first brand new  loco a Farish pannier tank it cost £3-7s-6d at full RRP. But the durability has gone down .will the modern stock still be running in twenty or thirty years time I doubt it ,I have had quite a few modern stock fail after only a short period of running,the worst offender was a Q1 which managed one and a half laps running in on low speed before giving up, several diesels with lights failing the worst was a Chiltern class 67 which was replaced three times and then even the forth one ended up with lights at one end only.So I think some of us have a right to be angry after paying out a lot of hard earned cash.
But good luck to those who DONT HAVE PROBLEMS I wish I was one of them.
Bob

Steamie+

I have no real experience on models failing, but i do agree the price of the models are really expensive and far out of reach of most of us,but i people carry on paying the prices that they are asking the companies will still charge to much for them. Our hobby needs both ( Customer and Maker ) to carry on with it and make it even better, but unless something is done to change it i.e. get back to making most if not all of it in the UK will we ever see them cheaper.    :thumbsup:

Bikeracer

I'm absolutely fed up with the music that is played over what seems to be nearly all the dialoge in TV programs,especially when one note only is repeatedly played on a clonky piano.
I don't mind the music so much,it's the way it's played over the dialogue and not in the background.

Even the news headlines have to have music played over the newsreader.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

daffy

I totally agree with you Allan. :thumbsup:  so called 'mood music' certainly does its job, as it makes me VERY moody! :veryangry:

I feel program makers and broadcasters do a particular great disservice to those with hearing difficulties, as well as to those with good hearing like me.

I turn off if it's too intrusive.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations