The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

When they eventually knock on the door or phone, which they will inevitably will, I shall be saying a polite "No Thank You" and see what happens, as you stated Herzel there's no legal obligation to have one,  ;)
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Dorsetmike

Might have a problem here, large block of retirement flats, all meters are in two rooms one each end of the building, House manager has the key to said rooms.Methinks a big rewiring job would be needed
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Jimbo

Quote from: Only Me on February 16, 2017, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: Jimbo on February 16, 2017, 02:28:39 PM
When they eventually knock on the door or phone, which they will inevitably will, I shall be saying a polite "No Thank You" and see what happens, as you stated Herzel there's no legal obligation to have one,  ;)

If your meter is over five years old they have the right to insist, on the grounds that your meter is old and requires replacement for health and safety reasons.... BUT you can ask them to make it a Dumb meter after they've fitted it and that they can do nothing about!....

Our meters are definitely more than 5 Years old, if they insist on replacing them for safety reasons then i'll be making sure the replacements are just 'normal' meters, I presume when you say 'Dumb' meter it'll still be a so called smart meter but not emitting any signals? If so it still won't be happening as far as I am concerned  :no:
'Keep it country!'

Jimbo

Quote from: Dorsetmike on February 16, 2017, 02:37:08 PM
Might have a problem here, large block of retirement flats, all meters are in two rooms one each end of the building, House manager has the key to said rooms.Methinks a big rewiring job would be needed

So you'll be getting radiation in stereo!!  :(
'Keep it country!'

themadhippy

Elf n stacey is just an excuse,in fact the older 2 coil dial meters are a lot safer than any of the new digital models,and i do love how they claim to save you energy,no there not, theres not a little arm in there thats going to pop out and turn off the bog light that youve left on again.
QuoteMight have a problem here, large block of retirement flats, all meters are in two rooms one each end of the building, House manager has the key to said rooms.Methinks a big rewiring job would be needed
No need,the meter will   superimpose the data  onto  your mains feed from your  meter to your flat and the remote monitor plugs into a convinent socket.
Actually if you've got to power the remote monitor ,thats going to take power so the companys make another few pence and youll be using more power,not saving any.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

Maybe I'm missing something here. I've had a smart meter for several years and the installation was free and painless with the engineer arriving exactly as promised.
I haven't had my computer hacked, personal details stolen, bank accounts raided or little gnomes and fairies creeping through my letter box to poison my cornflakes.
The information it provides, whilst not mind blowingly wonderful or essential, has proved useful in locating when and what is consuming power and when the grand children have left things switched on unecessarily.
Just my 2 pennies worth. Oh and switch those lights off...
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

red_death

Quote from: austinbob on February 16, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here. I've had a smart meter for several years and the installation was free and painless with the engineer arriving exactly as promised.
I haven't had my computer hacked, personal details stolen, bank accounts raided or little gnomes and fairies creeping through my letter box to poisen my cornflakes.
The information it provides, whilst not mind blowingly wonderful or essential, has proved useful in locating when and what is consuming power and when the grand children have left things switched on unecessarily.

And that is exactly the point of them - thank you for posting such common sense in the midst of ever-wilder conspiracy theories and scaremongering!

Cheers, Mike

red_death

Quote from: Herzel on February 16, 2017, 05:34:13 PM
Say what you like - it's an intrusion. An unnecessary one. Conspiracy theories or not it's about making more profit. I'm ready to bet that even those who've surrendered to direct debit will still find their "account" in credit the whole time, not billed on what they've used. And, like it or not, it does allows the monitoring of your property.

More profit - how do you work that one out? Despite the cack-handed implementation and poor design (of some of the meters) it was driven by a desire to help people reduce their energy consumption and the electricity suppliers fought very heavily against it (on the grounds of cost to them).

Monitoring of your property - how? It is hardly open access for all to the monitoring system.

daffy

Quote from: Herzel on February 16, 2017, 05:34:13 PM

Does no one remember the video hire shop scam?

Nope. :)

Never needed to have one fitted. :laugh2:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

I've not yet been contacted about smart meters, but I do have a concern about them. Nothing to do with hacks, spooks, or Reds under the bed, but I just remember when they were first fitted that some folks reckoned they were sending incorrect readings to the suppliers - that is, too high.

Does anybody know the truth (not the rumour) about this, or was it all just teething problems?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

red_death

Quote from: Herzel on February 16, 2017, 05:55:35 PM
More profit - they won't have to send meter-readers around, not to forget the firms that are making these meters and developing, maintaining the software (you'll soon be paying for them if you aren't already).

The old rotor meters with dials lasted FAR more than 5 years and I don't believe the current digital ones are built with a nominal life of 5 years! Someone's on the make. It's arbitrary change to serve business owners not users.

Except most of that just isn't correct.  The electricity suppliers lobbied hard against smart meters - why would they have done that if they were going to make a profit out of it? I happen to know because I did some of the work when they were first being discussed with Govt.

The concession was that they were allowed to charge a small amount of the costs of smart meter provision and installation to the user, but that was far less than the cost to them.

If you are a smart provider then OK you get a one off benefit but that isn't the electricity companies. The reality is that if you are going to make the change to smart meters then it is easier to arrange to do it over a relatively short time period than to let it happen organically over the lifespan of dial meters (which I agre with you is far more than 5 years but that isn't particularly relevant).

More to the point the idea (as I've already said) was about educating people and helping them reduce energy usage -> which means less money for electricity suppliers (not more).

So it was far from an arbitrary change, nor does it really serve the main business owner (electricity companies) at all well.

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on February 16, 2017, 05:54:14 PM
I've not yet been contacted about smart meters, but I do have a concern about them. Nothing to do with hacks, spooks, or Reds under the bed, but I just remember when they were first fitted that some folks reckoned they were sending incorrect readings to the suppliers - that is, too high.

Does anybody know the truth (not the rumour) about this, or was it all just teething problems?
From what I've read they are no less accurate than dumb meters. Certainly my consumption has not changed since my smart meter was installed. Indeed, I can monitor my usage on an hourly basis making it very easy to spot problems.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Yawn....
I think this little topic has run its course. I'm off to pastures new (and better).
:sleep: :thumbsdown:

Bob Austin

Gary Burcombe

I listen to Martin Lewis, Money saving expert an awful lot.  In his opinion they are not "smart" enough to save the consumer money.  And a fact is that the government didn't legislate the meters and they are not compatable between the energy suppliers, thus, although you are free to switch, they might get awkward about the meters.

thebrighton

Have to agree with a few of the earlier posts. I've had a smart meter for over a year now. The engineer turned up on time at my convenience, took about 20 minutes to fit it and I've never had a problem. The indoor monitor didn't last long though as if I need to use electricity I will despite what the monitor says I've used. I just unplugged it.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations