Bealman

Hope you were wearing brown trousers!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JonHarbour

Still planning a layout...

Bealman

Graham

Whilst working I regularly drove or was driven in Sydney and found the drivers to be very courteous after those down here.

Bealman

Well, as I say, I've had couple of incidents in my hometown recently.... although I did almost get skittled in Melbourne this time last year  ;)

Ian Bowden

Quote from: austinbob on January 31, 2017, 03:11:33 PM
Was just taking wife to Frimley Park hospital for Xray on two lane carriage way when car on left just pulls straight into my lane and side swipes the side of my car. Scratches and dents from rear wing, along doors, to front wing.
Other car did not stop - didn't even slow down!!  :censored:
No one hurt fortunately.

Reported to police and insurance but, unless the police catch the other :censored: or someone phones in to police as a witness I'm gonna be stung for £150 excess plus all the hassle of getting the car fixed.

:veryangry: :veryangry:
I fitted a dashboard camera. Not yet needed to use it but would have helped in some of my previous bumps, especially the one where the driver scraped the dirt off to show me the supposed new scratch I had made.

Newportnobby

Having been a Sales Manager (yup - all mouth & motorway) for a large percentage of my working life, and having driven over ½ a million miles at least (I know this as I had 4 company cars on each of which I put over 100,000 miles plus all my private driving), I find UK motorways are the safest place to be as (a) obviously everyone is (normally) travelling in the same direction and (b) they are occupied by professional drivers such as sales people and lorry drivers. It takes some experience to actually know the necessities a lorry driver needs but the main one is to maintain speed so I always drive with one eye on a lorry and what position it's in, knowing in my own mind when it will need to pull out and, yes, it can happen quite quickly but I'm prepared for it.
What gets my goat are the holidaymakers who don't normally drive on motorways but come their break they set off with an overloaded, underpowered vehicle and make themselves a motorway mobile chicane because they have no clue as to how to drive on such roads. They're a danger to themselves and everyone else around them :veryangry:

Yet_Another

NPN, the nature of drivers is changing. The last two years of daily commute from North Wales to Manchester has completely ruined the driving experience for me. I fully agree that what you describe used to be the case, but now, even in rush hour, when you'd expect everyone to know what they're doing, there are more and more absolute nutters trying to kill you in their high speed impatience.
(btw my current car is now in its second half million miles)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

austinbob

Quote from: Ian Bowden on February 01, 2017, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: austinbob on January 31, 2017, 03:11:33 PM
Was just taking wife to Frimley Park hospital for Xray on two lane carriage way when car on left just pulls straight into my lane and side swipes the side of my car. Scratches and dents from rear wing, along doors, to front wing.
Other car did not stop - didn't even slow down!!  :censored:
No one hurt fortunately.

Reported to police and insurance but, unless the police catch the other :censored: or someone phones in to police as a witness I'm gonna be stung for £150 excess plus all the hassle of getting the car fixed.

:veryangry: :veryangry:
I fitted a dashboard camera. Not yet needed to use it but would have helped in some of my previous bumps, especially the one where the driver scraped the dirt off to show me the supposed new scratch I had made.
I had thought of getting a dashboard camera after my car has been repaired, but this accident is the first one I've been involved in for 12 years or more. So, Murphy's law says if I buy a camera I won't have another accident. Still maybe that's a plan anyway!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

Quote from: newportnobby on February 01, 2017, 10:25:37 AM
Having been a Sales Manager (yup - all mouth & motorway) for a large percentage of my working life, and having driven over ½ a million miles at least (I know this as I had 4 company cars on each of which I put over 100,000 miles plus all my private driving), I find UK motorways are the safest place to be as (a) obviously everyone is (normally) travelling in the same direction and (b) they are occupied by professional drivers such as sales people and lorry drivers. It takes some experience to actually know the necessities a lorry driver needs but the main one is to maintain speed so I always drive with one eye on a lorry and what position it's in, knowing in my own mind when it will need to pull out and, yes, it can happen quite quickly but I'm prepared for it.
What gets my goat are the holidaymakers who don't normally drive on motorways but come their break they set off with an overloaded, underpowered vehicle and make themselves a motorway mobile chicane because they have no clue as to how to drive on such roads. They're a danger to themselves and everyone else around them :veryangry:
G'day,  Mick!

As you are aware, I would definitely fall into the tourist category!  ;D

Your lifetime driving the motorways of Britain is formidable and certainly impresses me.

That is my point..... from my perspective here in Australia, driving the English motorways scares the  :poop: out of me!

:beers:

George

daffy

Re dashboard cameras:

Having worked in a Motor Claims department of a large insurer for some years I would encourage everyone to fit cameras, both forward and rear facing.

They could prove invaluable in accidents, and with the volume of traffic, the loons in their cars who believe they own the road, the idiots who just don't know how to drive, those who are uninsured and unlicensed, the 'professional' accident claim perpetrators, and all other possible causes of incidents and accidents, are they not now all but essential?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

@Yet_Another
I won't disagree with you regarding rush hour, Tony. Despite being retired I still hurtle (as much as my Ford Siesta lets me) down the M6, frequently the M61 and very often the M60/62 and see plenty of good driving as much as bad but rush hour is just something to be avoided if possible if a pristine car and one's sanity is to be preserved. Sadly my Mum's many holiday flights means I get tipped onto the M60 at peak times :doh:
I'm quite sure we could pack a separate thread on driving antics ;D

Yet_Another

Quote from: newportnobby on February 01, 2017, 11:31:45 AM
I'm quite sure we could pack a separate thread on driving antics ;D
Oh yes!  :)

But I'm not sure if it would relieve or exacerbate the blood pressure  :confused1:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Jerry Howlett

I now live and DRIVE in ITALY !!!

Need I say more.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 01, 2017, 02:27:30 PM

I now live and DRIVE in ITALY !!!

Need I say more.

Jerry

Having driven a Fiat Punto in Tuscany a few years ago I believe only headlights, horn and accelerator are necessities. :worried:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations