The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Was just taking wife to Frimley Park hospital for Xray on two lane carriage way when car on left just pulls straight into my lane and side swipes the side of my car. Scratches and dents from rear wing, along doors, to front wing.
Other car did not stop - didn't even slow down!!  :censored:
No one hurt fortunately.

Reported to police and insurance but, unless the police catch the other :censored: or someone phones in to police as a witness I'm gonna be stung for £150 excess plus all the hassle of getting the car fixed.

:veryangry: :veryangry:

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Jon898

Quote from: austinbob on January 31, 2017, 03:11:33 PM
Was just taking wife to Frimley Park hospital for Xray on two lane carriage way when car on left just pulls straight into my lane and side swipes the side of my car. Scratches and dents from rear wing, along doors, to front wing.
Other car did not stop - didn't even slow down!!  :censored:
No one hurt fortunately.

Reported to police and insurance but, unless the police catch the other :censored: or someone phones in to police as a witness I'm gonna be stung for £150 excess plus all the hassle of getting the car fixed.

:veryangry: :veryangry:

That really sucks.  It seems some people are completely oblivious to what's going on around them when they drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqIeM3blPck

Jon

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Yet_Another

Quote from: Jon898 on January 31, 2017, 03:52:45 PM
It seems some people are completely oblivious to what's going on around them when they drive
Actually, best to assume that everybody else is trying to kill you. I have various terms for them. Monkeys are to ones who have no concept of the future, thus are unable to evaluate the consequences of their actions, and YAUFs, well, the first part is 'yet another useless': I'll leave what the F stands for to your imagination.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

I rode motorcycles for over 12 years and am sure I only survived by treating everyone else as an idiot on the roads. Sadly, in Bob's case, even this attitude would not have prevented it and, even more sadly, I fear he'll have to cough up himself to get everything fixed. :(

Sprintex

It's also what I was taught when learning to drive HGVs (yes I know a good many HGV drivers appear to forget this soon after getting their licence!).

My instructor told me to always expect the idiots around you to do exactly what you DON'T think they'd be stupid enough to do - you won't be disappointed OR surprised when they do just that ;)

Paul

Mito

I've had two minor accidents in over 50 years of driving, but more importantly I've avoided dozens more by "reading" the actions of the idiots who were hell bent on having one.  If you type "fail" into the search bar on Youtube, there are dozens of videos of quite spectacular  accidents especially in Russia. Most could have been avoided with a bit of care and forethought.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

daffy

I found being a motorcyclist for some years before I downgraded to cars ;) taught me more about survival than anything else ever could.

The day a very large 12 wheel truck came out of a building site right in front of me taught me that it is very easy to die on the roads. I hit it. Hard. It ran over my bike and flattened it. It missed me cos I hit it and bounced off.

Nowadays I consider that I'm a very good driver. Not perfect, but I'm trying.  I just have to remember I am in a minority and act accordingly.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

On my last few visits to the UK and driving hire cars, I found most drivers to be refreshingly good compared to here in NSW. I really am of the opinion that we have some of the worst drivers in the world.

What scared me the most about driving in the UK was the speed on the motorways and huge trucks pulling out to overtake suddenly.

JonHarbour

I'd disagree that NSW has some of the worst drivers in the world... I've driven in the Middle East (UAE, Saudi, Jordan, Syria and Oman) and been a passenger in vehicles in India.  :o :goggleeyes: :jawdropping:

India was the scariest - so many random things that you don't see elsewhere happening at once! Saudi is up there too - I nearly had a head-on at night with a truck that thought it a great idea to decorate the front of the truck with red lights!
Still planning a layout...

Bealman

Quote from: JonHarbour on February 01, 2017, 12:42:49 AM
I'd disagree that NSW has some of the worst drivers in the world... I've driven in the Middle East (UAE, Saudi, Jordan, Syria and Oman) and been a passenger in vehicles in India.  :o :goggleeyes: :jawdropping:

India was the scariest - so many random things that you don't see elsewhere happening at once! Saudi is up there too - I nearly had a head-on at night with a truck that thought it a great idea to decorate the front of the truck with red lights!
Red lights on the front? Awesome in a scary sort of way!

Point taken, but I've had some close calls with some idiots here in the Gong just this week.

JonHarbour

Made worse by the truck being so  :poop: filthy that the headlights were grubby brown glows. I was on a single carriageway road, the truck in front of me moved to the right a bit to help me pass (remember it's left hand drive in the Middle East) and as I moved out to take a gander I could only see  red lights.... Took me about 2/3 of the way past the semi-trailer I was overtaking to realise that the red lights were getting closer to me a lot quicker than they should be if the lorry was travelling in the same direction as me!

Bealman

Eeeek! What action did you take?

JonHarbour

slammed on the brakes and ducked quickly back in behind the lorry I had been overtaking!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations