The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: Bikeracer on January 12, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
I'm absolutely fed up with the music that is played over what seems to be nearly all the dialoge in TV programs

My problem is that, whilst not going deaf as such, I have difficulty hearing some frequencies. Of course, human speech is in those frequencies whilst TV music isn't. We have a, (happy), battle in our house whereby SWMBO wants the TV volume down and I want it up! I used to go to hospital every year for tests and on the last occasion the Doctor says, "We could get you a hearing aid", to which I replied, "Would that not just amplify all frequencies?" and he said, "Yes". I eventually convinced him that that was not a solution  :doh: I have not been since!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Quote from: dannyboy on January 12, 2017, 10:49:33 PM
Quote from: Bikeracer on January 12, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
I'm absolutely fed up with the music that is played over what seems to be nearly all the dialoge in TV programs

My problem is that, whilst not going deaf as such, I have difficulty hearing some frequencies. Of course, human speech is in those frequencies whilst TV music isn't. We have a, (happy), battle in our house whereby SWMBO wants the TV volume down and I want it up! I used to go to hospital every year for tests and on the last occasion the Doctor says, "We could get you a hearing aid", to which I replied, "Would that not just amplify all frequencies?" and he said, "Yes". I eventually convinced him that that was not a solution  :doh: I have not been since!

Just ensure you don't end up like my late father-in-law: after determining that all hearing aids were useless, in his opinion (though spending thousands to prove it), he found the solution to listening to his favourite TV programs, while helping the folks in the next street to listen to them as well!
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

stevewalker

Surely, modern, digital hearing aids can be programmed to only amplify particular frequency ranges, exactly as needed - the NHS can be reluctant to pay for decent ones though.

dannyboy

daffy - that is not a problem when I am in the house on my own as my nearest neighbour is about 1 mile away  :thumbsup:

stevewalker - that is a problem as I live in Ireland and if you don't have what is called a 'Medical Card', (which I don't as I earn too much  :'(), or you have private health insurance, (which I don't as I do not earn enough to be able to afford it  :'(), you pay for your own medical bills  :'(.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

daffy

Just been for a walk through the village where I live here on the windswept Tundra of Lincolnshire.

What the  :censored: is it with these people morons who persist in throwing their rubbish out of car windows to sully this green and pleasant land? :veryangry:

In the few hundred yards beween my village boundary and a shared village hall with the next village I picked up three cans, one bottle, one cigarette packet, one sandwich wrapper and a paper cup or two. I had to ignore other items as my hands were full. :veryangry:

I walked that route less than a week ago and cleared almost the same amount of rubbish from the verges.

When I was a lad - here goes the old fool, prattling on again about the 'good old days' - there were prominent campaigns to 'Keep Britain Tidy!' that had a positive effect, but no one seems to care now and there are no reminders.

Bit like the 'Wear something bright at night!' campaign that came to mind yesterday when I nearly didn't see the idiot in black darting across the road in front of me. But that's another rant. :veryangry:

Good old days? In some respects, too right! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: daffy on January 13, 2017, 03:48:36 PM
Just been for a walk through the village where I live here on the windswept Tundra of Lincolnshire.

What the  :censored: is it with these people morons who persist in throwing their rubbish out of car windows to sully this green and pleasant land? :veryangry:

In the few hundred yards beween my village boundary and a shared village hall with the next village I picked up three cans, one bottle, one cigarette packet, one sandwich wrapper and a paper cup or two. I had to ignore other items. Is my hands were full. :veryangry:

I walked that route less than a week ago and cleared almost the same amount of rubbish from the verges.

When I was a lad - here goes the old fool, prattling in again about the 'good old days' - there were prominent campaigns to 'Keep Britain Tidy!' that had a positive effect, but no one seems to care now and there are no reminders.

Bit like the 'Wear something bright at night!' campaign that came to mind yesterday when I nearly didn't see the idiot in black darting across the road in front of me. But that's another rant. :veryangry:

Good old days? In some respects, too right! :thumbsup:

Good on you for picking up some litter.

Littering is the most moronic lazy act and it winds me up also.

Skyline2uk

themadhippy

QuoteDoes anyone else agree with my opinion  a sound engineer just doesn't exist any more
nope they certainly exist ,its part of my job description,but them  again i do live music,very rarely do they let me in a tv studio,twice in the last 5 years i think.Anyway most modern telly should have a setting that "flattens "out the volume.
QuoteWhat the  :censored: is it with these people morons who persist in throwing their rubbish out of car windows to sully this green and pleasant land?
this should make you happy then,even if they are  quietly changing the laws on proof of guilt
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/litter-lout-drivers-face-60-9586294
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

daffy

Thanks for the link @themadhippy:thumbsup: Littering Has long been an offence - I remember the commonplace '£5 penalty' notices of my distant youth - but sadly like so many laws that are casually broken these days, the manpower/finance to police them (in all meanings of the word) is not there .

It will be interesting to see just how many are fined, how many actually pay up, and what effect it has on the mentality of the apparently terminally afflicted litter-louts.

Full legislation here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/part/3/crossheading/offence-of-dropping-litter

Sadly as is typified by cinema auditoria when the film ends, and when the fans leave festival sites, casually leaving things for someone else to pick up - a good definition of littering IMHO - is endemic. See these photos post-Reading Festival as a typical example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3769095/Don-t-worry-clear-Thousands-leave-tents-Reading-Festival.html

Of course, finding someone who ever admits to littering in any form is very unlikely. Seems litterers are always 'someone else'.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Just been watching the  :censored: idiots on the east coast getting themselves + pets soaked by 'playing' in the seas breaking over the sea walls. Quite frankly I don't give a damn if they get swept out to sea (apart from their pets) but they just don't seem to realise they put in danger the very people they rely on to rescue them :veryangry: :veryangry:

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on January 13, 2017, 08:16:20 PM
Just been watching the  :censored: idiots on the east coast getting themselves + pets soaked by 'playing' in the seas breaking over the sea walls. Quite frankly I don't give a damn if they get swept out to sea (apart from their pets) but they just don't seem to realise they put in danger the very people they rely on to rescue them :veryangry: :veryangry:
Happens several times each year down here sometimes with an unhappy ending.
Its usually visitors down here who have no idea how dangerous our seas can be.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Ian Bowden

Quote from: themadhippy on January 13, 2017, 04:17:55 PM
QuoteDoes anyone else agree with my opinion  a sound engineer just doesn't exist any more
nope they certainly exist ,its part of my job description,but them  again i do live music,very rarely do they let me in a tv studio,twice in the last 5 years i think.Anyway most modern telly should have a setting that "flattens "out the volume.
QuoteWhat the  :censored: is it with these people morons who persist in throwing their rubbish out of car windows to sully this green and pleasant land?
this should make you happy then,even if they are  quietly changing the laws on proof of guilt
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/litter-lout-drivers-face-60-9586294
With reggard to litter. Outside the theatre I work in there is a bench where people sit and eat their sandwiches leaving the wrappers and empty bottles strewn about. I don't blame them for that, as the council in its wisdom has removed the waste bin that has been there for many years to save the cost of someone emptying it. Instead we have to clear it up to keep the area looking nice for customers. Complaints only result in being passed from one department to another while my blood pressure tablets are being stressed.

daffy

I am sorry Ian, but I just can't reconcile myself to

Quotepeople sit and eat their sandwiches leaving the wrappers and empty bottles strewn about. I don't blame them for that.
@Ian Bowden  (my italics)

It is the people who do this who are entirely to blame. Personal responsibility for any waste we create is surely a prime requirement for membership of a properly civilised society. Just because the powers that be do not provide receptacles for that waste does not mean we can abdicate that responsibility.

okay, rant over, and so to bed!

Edit: apologies to the Mods if this sounds in any way political, which is not my intent. I just hate littering.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Sprintex

Totally agree, if there's no bin handy then take your rubbish with you until you find one!

Paul

GeeBee

Quote from: Sprintex on January 13, 2017, 11:05:08 PM
Totally agree, if there's no bin handy then take your rubbish with you until you find one!

Paul

Or take it home where it can be disposed of properly
8)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations