Electric cars - the future?

Started by daffy, June 17, 2018, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

The proposal is a share power cable (an electronic tow rope) that allows you to follow their van to a charging point.

A lot of this is being figured out at the moment so expect some industry announcements in the next year or so on solving a lot of these problems.

themadhippy

Electric cars in the uk  are only moving the pollution problem from the town centers to the countryside were the power stations are located,point this out to the green lobby and they mumble something under there breath and move away rather quickly, add in the fact that during last winter the power grid was almost at 100% capacity with threats of power cuts for large consumers and thats without a few 1000 cars being charged.
Countrys like norway have a huge advantage on the green stakes as almost all of there generation is hydro,iceland uses geothermal ,making hydrogen cells almost free,but here in the uk were still burning stuff to produce electricity.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

woodbury22uk

Quote from: themadhippy on June 19, 2018, 12:48:48 PM

Countrys like norway have a huge advantage on the green stakes as almost all of there generation is hydro,iceland uses geothermal ,making hydrogen cells almost free,but here in the uk were still burning stuff to produce electricity.

I had understood that the boost to our electricity supplies is supposed to come from the increasing volume of hot air generated in parliament, the media and on-line discussion sites talking about green alternatives.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

njee20

You have to start somewhere. Last year we had our first day without power generated from coal, and earlier this year we went 3 days on gas, nuclear and renewables, so I'm not sure it's fair to say it's simply shifting the problem to the countryside.

The electricity mix definitely needs to change to realise the full benefits, and you're absolutely right that we're not ideally suited for some of the sources enjoyed by other countries, but that's also not a reason to stop developing the technology IMO.

javlinfaw7

Over 50% of our electricity now comes from renewables or nuclear of this 10% of the total is biofuel so emissions should be down.Living in a city with possibly the worst vehicle emissions in Scotland anything moving petrol/diesel powered cars out would be helpful. Maybe in the long run for hgv this would work.
https://www.eta.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/HGV.jpg

Bob Tidbury

I live in High Wycombe which is all hills so how do cars like  the Prius cope with steep hills do they still have to go into diesel mode or can the electric motors manage to transport four heavy people up them ?
Most of the private hire cars in Wycombe are Prius but as I don't use them I haven't had the chance to ask the drivers.
Perhaps some one can answer here.
Bob Tidbury

njee20

Electric motors have huge amounts of torque - so should perform better on hills than a petrol or even a diesel car, all other things being equal. It's why there are some crazy 0-60 times coming from Tesla et al.

Aren't nearly all hybrids backed by a petrol, rather than diesel engine? I assume this is because small petrol engines are still quite useful, whilst a 1 litre naturally aspirated diesel engine would be truly horrific!

Railwaygun

how will ECs be taxed? if petrol/diesel  sales come down significantly , the Revenue will want to tax chargers/ECs/electricity used to regain the revenue!!

the cars need a £5000 subsidy now ( and are £10k more expensive than a petrol version (approx.)) so transport will become a very expensive pastime! 
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Railwaygun on June 20, 2018, 11:51:39 PM
how will ECs be taxed? if petrol/diesel  sales come down significantly , the Revenue will want to tax chargers/ECs/electricity used to regain the revenue!!

the cars need a £5000 subsidy now ( and are £10k more expensive than a petrol version (approx.)) so transport will become a very expensive pastime!

Oh that's a can of worms.  There are already rumblings about cars being charged through cheap energy white meters.   I think long term all energy will taxed in a converging way as we go to all electricity, and I am thinking about gas running out and a move away from heating oils in the long run.

As for the cost for new cars, they will drop to be the same as current equivalent models, but you probably wont own the battery you will lease the use of charged batteries and replace them under subscription.   There will also be a significant battery materials recycling industry created as well.

The Q

Quote from: njee20 on June 19, 2018, 04:35:58 PM
Electric motors have huge amounts of torque - so should perform better on hills than a petrol or even a diesel car, all other things being equal. It's why there are some crazy 0-60 times coming from Tesla et al.

I'd agree with this, also if the electric motor is direct to the drive system as they don't necessesarily need to go through a gearbox there are large savings from not losing power in the box.
So on my motor boat I only Need a 10kW electric motor which is direct drive.
Whereas the old 35HP Diesel which needed a gearbox for forward and reverse and therefore losses (admittedly boat gear boxes of that vintage were not as efficient as a modern Car gear box..)
1HP = 743 W so if the diesel had no losses to the prop that would have been equivalent of 26kW

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations