Facebook - to join or not to join, that is the queztion

Started by austinbob, March 18, 2018, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: emjaybee on March 19, 2018, 04:13:17 PM
Quote from: red_death on March 19, 2018, 12:10:08 PM
Very few things in life are must haves, so the question should really be is FB useful? To which the answer is clearly yes otherwise it wouldn't be used so widely.

Used so widely? As is Class A & B drugs, tobacco, alcohol...

...and similar to these, Facebook would also appear to addictive and a hard one to break.

:D
As I'm not a teenager with my eyes permanently glued to and my fingers permantly stroking a smartphone - I suspect Facebook would have minimal addictive affect on an old codger like me... ;) :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Quote from: austinbob on March 19, 2018, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: njee20 on March 19, 2018, 03:19:18 PM
The NGF is a private Facebook group, which means that no one who's not a member should receive any notification of things you're posting. Indeed they can't see it at all unless they become a member.
That would suit me just fine. So is it true that any group you have to have separate membership/sign up would also be private. Xcuse my ignorance on this...
:beers:

You have public groups - anyone can join, see and add to the content, if you contribute anything to that group (including 'Liking' an image/post) then that may be shared with anyone in your friends list.

You have private groups where membership is vetted. If you contribute anything to that group the other members of the group may well see it on their 'timeline' (a vaguely chronological list of things Facebook thinks you may want to see), but no one else outside the group can or will see any content.

The NGF page and the N'Porium classified pages are the latter. The classifieds are particularly good IMO - vastly more active than here and what Facebook is good for.

austinbob

Thanks njee - Might just have to give this a try soon.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

kirky

I have a FB account. It rarely gets used to post anything, but rather that I can see what has been posted by people or organisations I need information from, such as my kids' school. This is annoying, because there are better ways to communicate with parents.
I cant bear the unintuitive interface, it just makes me cringe.
IMO its also worth remembering what FB is - essentially its a bloke with loud halo shouting adverts at you that you might be vaguely interested in. Its a tool to sell you stuff you dont need.
I only have two friends FB friends.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

austinbob

First of all thanks for all your help and advice.
Well - set up Facebook account and had a play around. First thing I noticed was I had around 400 potential 'friends' 395 of whom I  had never heard of. Friends of friends of friends I  suppose.
Tried the NGF group. Not impressed. Much prefer the web forum. User interface not very intuitive.
Bottom line is Facebook is not for me. Account now scheduled for deletion.
Back to me old ways now and returned to my comfort zone.
:goodbye:

Bob Austin

Tank

What a great shame Bob, I'm very surprised.  I think you should give it more time.  It's a completely different platform to this site, so let it sink in.  Lots of lovely layouts and models on the NGF group that don't get posted on here (as well as the other way around too!).

austinbob

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2018, 07:18:47 AM
What a great shame Bob, I'm very surprised.  I think you should give it more time.  It's a completely different platform to this site, so let it sink in.  Lots of lovely layouts and models on the NGF group that don't get posted on here (as well as the other way around too!).
You may well be right but there's too much other baggage that gets in the way for me. So for now I'm happy to stick with what I already use.
Dinosaur now signing off  ;)

Bob Austin

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on March 20, 2018, 08:34:18 AM
You're staying here though?
You bet I am. I'm addicted to this forum as much as me favourite tipple. Hicc!!
:laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

Skyline2uk

As somebody who joined Facebook when it was in its infancy (as in the days when it was just a handful of University networks, which is handy as it appears to make my profile harder to find), I have seen it change a lot.

I use it (far too much, more on which below) for three reasons:

1) Keeping in touch with Friends and some family. It is useful (so long as privacy senttings are carefully managed) for arranging get togethers.

2) N gauge Facebook groups and buying/selling. Former (as @Tank says) often has many photos and I add more there as it saves Forum space. Latter is offen way better then Evilbay.

3) Idle time wasting. This is where I think my problem is, habit forming. Now actively trying to reduce time just dawdling.

Just my couple of coppers worth.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Yes, I agree with Tank. You spent longer on this thread deliberating than you did trying it! It isn't another forum, don't expect it to be, but IMO there's a lot of good content on there.

broadsword

A while back I opened a dummy FB account in the name of
Cedric Spragg or similar, gave my self a completely  insane
profile of education and careers and fave pop groups etc.
Someone from the school I mentioned (which I didn't attend)
asked me if I knew so and so and Jimmy and Bill etc .
They didn't know I'd been a fighter pilot!

After a few weeks it became a bore.........

daffy

BREAKING NEWS!

Account set-up and threat of subsequent deletion by @austinbob has unexpected results for Zuckerberg's empire!

Sky News reports today that "Facebook has seen $37bn (£26bn) wiped off its value".

:o
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on March 20, 2018, 10:30:51 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

Account set-up and threat of subsequent deletion by @austinbob has unexpected results for Zuckerberg's empire!

Sky News reports today that "Facebook has seen $37bn (£26bn) wiped off its value".

:o
Not my fault - honest guv.
:laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations