Your Dodgey N Gauge Builds!

Started by guest2, November 19, 2017, 12:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hi all,

I think it would be great to have a thread to laugh at some of our own models that we've built.  I know I've built some clangers over the years.   ;D  PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE YOUR OWN MODELS!!!!  I don't want other people's photo's on here, as this will cause upset.

Here is something I built about 15 years ago.  Someone advertised selling two Class 20's on eBay which they had started to convert in a Class 58.  Basically, I bought the bodies and a Class 91 chassis and the fun began.  To make it worse I painted it into my favourite livery....and the conversion was done.  A Class 58 in NSE livery.   :no: :smiley-laughing:

railsquid

That is wrong on so many levels  :beers:

The closest I can offer is an 'Orribly Oversized Lima 0-4-0 steam locomotive which during my teenage years repainted into Railfreight livery, fortunately the offending item has long since been lost.

joe cassidy

No fishing for compliments please. Only genuine "I'm ashamed of that" projects allowed.

Best regards,

Joe

zwilnik

Way back when I first started in N I thought I'd scratchbuild a GWR Shunter's wagon on a Peco chassis. Only problem was, all the pics I had of the prototype were only from the side. So spot the mistake that caused me to have to take it all apart and start again :)

NeMo

Quote from: Tank on November 19, 2017, 12:07:20 PM
Here is something I built about 15 years ago.  Someone advertised selling two Class 20's on eBay which they had started to convert in a Class 58.  Basically, I bought the bodies and a Class 91 chassis and the fun began.  To make it worse I painted it into my favourite livery....and the conversion was done.  A Class 58 in NSE livery.   :no: :smiley-laughing:

Genius, as ever, Tank... but I do want to know your thought process here! What would Chris Green have used a Class 58 for on Network Southeast?! Really heavy commuter trains? Coal for Lots Road power station?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Jack

Quote from: newportnobby on November 19, 2017, 12:45:59 PM
Oh dear. That's every one of my layouts so far in life :-[

I totally empathize! When I saw the new thread title your thought were my first thoughts  :'(
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Vanders

My class 22, built from a Worsley Works not-quite-a-kit long before Dapol had a RtR version available. Nominally it's great, but my mistake was not paying enough attention to the two different types of nose ends available on the etch. So ended up with a 22 with two different styles of nose end. I ended up fitting the boxes to the "wrong" end anyway and just hoped nobody would notice ;D

Papyrus

This is the first N-gauge kit I built, must be 30+ years ago now, God preserve us.  :(  It was a Gem kit, I think, of an L&Y Aspinall 0-6-0ST, and as you can see it was built in the factory where they also produced Citroen 2CVs.  ;D

I subsequently found out the kit was rated as 'difficult' due to the chassis mods required, so perhaps it wasn't the one to try first. It made a good solid lump of a model and it can pull huge trains. Perhaps one day I might take it apart and see if I can improve it a bit.

Cheers,

Chris

PS Love the idea of this thread!

Bealman

Actually, if that loco still runs OK, I don't think it's too bad! As you say, you could do it up a bit.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steven B

Some of my earlier attempts:

A Dogfish ballast hopper built from the Peco grain wagon kit. Suffice to say the body ended up in the bin, the chassis re-used and several Dapol models bought....

Next, a BHE Mk1 BG kit built to represent a Signal engineers vehicle (as per the current Farish Satlink Western model).

Steven B

MalcolmInN

I think it would be great to have a thread to laugh at some of our own models that we've built.  I know I've built some clangers over the years.
two Class 20's
to convert in a Class 58. 
a Class 91 chassis and the fun began. 
A Class 58 in NSE livery.   :no: :smiley-laughing
Yep a good idea that could also be quite educational !
May I elaborate ? :-
I have no idea what you are talking about "Class" thingies never existed :) !
To appreciate the magnitude of your faux-pas requires some basic knowledge on the part of the recipient soooo :) I beg forgiveness :- since I have had no contact with the railways of the UK since about 1964
( my last journey on a UK  railway was steam-hauled {as was the norm} London back to Carlisle after a job interview, which bore fruit and then I had a car , , , , ! Yea ! I know, guilty as charged !! )

So why was it so wrong on so many levels ?

yours, tunbridge-wells dinosaurs institute.   ;D ;D :smiley-laughing:

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: MalcolmAL on November 21, 2017, 02:08:55 AM
...So why was it so wrong on so many levels ?

yours, tunbridge-wells dinosaurs institute.   ;D ;D :smiley-laughing:
Yeah, I'm with him  :laughabovepost: , the dinosaur guy.  I wondered about that too but I also wondered if I might be the only one who didn't know!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Dsolds

Well, I guess I'm about to show myself up as a real Newbie  :-[ :-[ :-[

But.........

I would never have known about the technical wrongs of the above, save a bit of dodgy painting, which as it goes, is still better than my own painting skills  :-[ :-[ :-[

Anyway, that's one reason I joined up here, to learn. Previous OO experience was based around "Playing Trains" with my son whereas now I want to get into proper modelling and do more of my own detail work. So far this looks to have been a good decision.  :claphappy: :claphappy:

Dom.

Branchie

Hi all,

I think it would be great to have a thread to laugh at some of our own models that we've built.  I know I've built some clangers over the years.   ;D  PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE YOUR OWN MODELS!!!!  I don't want other people's photo's on here, as this will cause upset.

How much do you want for it?!?  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations