1st gen dmus

Started by bluedepot, August 14, 2014, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

I have no plans to buy a 108 as they hardly ever ran on the WR. Now a 117 would be much more useful to me. I do have a 101 as they did turn up on the WR from time to time but it is an imperfect compromise as they did not really head west until after the end of steam and they were not exactly common in the west country.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

tadpole

Two rails good. Three better.

johnlambert

Another vote for the class 117.  I seem to remember DJM Dave saying that a unit has been digitally scanned by someone (not him) and could well be announced as a RTR model in the near future.  I'd certainly buy a few (couple of green ones, blue, blue/grey and possibly Regional Railways).

Of course it can seem a long time between models being announced and them turning up on the shelves...

I'd also like a Swindon Cross-Country DMU (class 120?) as my second choice since they turned up quite often in the area I'm modelling.  And I'd buy a DEMU because it reminds me of the trains I saw out of my bedroom window when I was growing up.

BernardTPM

The 120 is another long underframe DMU like the 117, probably similar enough in N (footsteps apart) not to notice the detail differences, so having a 117 would make building a 120 a lot easier than it is now. The Gloucester Cross-Country units (119) even have the similar cabs to the 117.
Making them from the currently available RTR short DMUs isn't very practical.

d-a-n

Quote from: SD35 on August 14, 2014, 11:40:08 PM
We're pretty well covered with the widespread use of 101s and 108s.

Agreed - loads of other DMUs look like them from a front on perspective. I know there are differences and windows etc look different but meh, they all look the same to me.

A class 205 would be brilliant as it was such a long lived prototype and you could get a lot of liveries out of it - one exists in 4mm already too which would mean Bachmann could turn the shrink ray on the plans... I could run it and imagine it was a class 414 as they have a very similar 'face'
The class 120 also looks like a good pick as this has a different 'face' to the 117 (which just looks like a 108 to me.)

bluedepot

Pretty much all the main diesel locos are covered now and even baby deltic and class 17 announced so maybe we will see a few more dmu types rtr in the future. shouldn't expect anything for next 5 years or so though unless its just a Bachmann shrunken 105 or thumper (if that's right that they make them in OO)

Tim

Flying Pig

Quote from: BernardTPM on August 15, 2014, 05:23:39 PM
The 120 is another long underframe DMU like the 117, probably similar enough in N (footsteps apart) not to notice the detail differences, so having a 117 would make building a 120 a lot easier than it is now. The Gloucester Cross-Country units (119) even have the similar cabs to the 117.
Making them from the currently available RTR short DMUs isn't very practical.

The Class 121 is a long-frame type too, so a motored+dummy pair of Dapol bubble cars is a possible starting point, if not particularly economical.  You'd need to source an underframe for the trailer of course, or substitute a Metro-Cammell trailer as was not uncommon in later years.  Worsley list the sides.
Simon

scottishlocos

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on August 14, 2014, 10:49:58 PM
I reckon the class 117 would be ideal; long-lived, wide-spread and carried a variety of liveries.

That would be a good model to see produced; along with a Thumper (either the 205 or 207)...

All

Put me down for the 117 I used to commute on then in the late 90's early 2000's great fun! Only ever failed once in same time frame was on a few Class 150 and 158 failures.

Dave

Plainline.

Got to be a 100 or 105 for me!

mr bachmann

keep those numbers comming guys we'll soon end up with a 142  :D

dr deltic

104 for me but the 117 had a long life and the last few sets wound up in Scotland from 1993 onwards.

They came back south for storage in 2000 from Perth, and the newly formed Freightliner Heavy Haul supplied the power.

port perran

Another 117 vote here.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Seeing as how all my Ian Allan combines etc are early to mid 1960's, I haven't got a clue what class numbers they are as they're not mentioned :dunce: :'(

bluedepot

at this rate we'll be able to crowd source a class 117 soon... lol   just another 985 'pledges' lol

tim

andymoore

I would like to see a nice green 205, I'd be tempted to buy two actually....

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations