How to get exhibition invitations - Not being a memeber of a Club

Started by paulprice, February 28, 2015, 09:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Can anyone help with a little advise??

I did attempt to be a member at a local Model club, but with work commitments being crazy at the time, I became unable to regularly attend meetings and soon became depressed and gave up, as what ever free time I got from work was always at the wrong times.

Anyway as a result I started building Foster Street, which had its exhibition debut in November of last year, since then I have caught the exhibition bug, the problem is how does a chap go about getting his layout invited to shows?

Dorsetmike

Google for model railway shows within the area you can cover, go to the the websites and email the exhibition organiser offering your layout, provide details of space required - include space to operate from, state the period and area modelled, include your costs, maybe van hire, accommodation needed for X number of operators etc.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

paulprice

bridgiesimon

I also produced an information sheet with details and some images including a link to my RMWeb layout threads which I carry with me. When visiting exhibitions, I would hand one in at the front desk to be passed to the exhibition manager. These are well worth having should you get an invite to a show as I found I get interest at most shows I exhibit at and having a handout with my details on makes it easy. A few images on a sheet with contact details is a reminder for an exhibition manager rather than just an email address hastily written down on a scrap of paper.

I hope you succeed amnd get on the exhibition circuit, it is great fun and very recommended despite the stress of your first show. An extra hint should you get an invite is to make a tick sheet with all the stuff you require at the show listed so you ca go through it as you pack to ensure you do not forget anything.

Best wishes
Simon

Sprintex

It could also help to have a website as anyone trawling the net for potential layouts could find it that way? If you're not up to building a site there's plenty of "tailor-it-yourself" packages out there that you can just pick from  options and add photos :thumbsup:

Even a few good videos on Youtube would be one way of getting it seen :)

Paul

red_death

Your best bet is to get invites at a show - many exhibition managers will want to see it running.  I realise that means the first step can be difficult as how do you get the first few invites so that your layout gets seen!

The idea of approaching local show managers is a good one - by being local you will save them accommodation and transport costs. The UKmodelshops website is useful for finding shows.

Ollie is right that a simple sheet with the layout details, your contact details and a photo or two will be well worth producing.

Paul's idea of a dedicated website is probably not necessary, but what is necessary is somewhere that as an exhibition manager I can go and look at pictures of your layout (and preferably a track plan) - I googled "foster street model railway" and the first hit was your blog on RMweb which is great.

After that it is partly down to what the exhibition manager is looking for (in terms of scale, period/region balance) and the quality of your modelling.  In terms of what I look for more than anything it is consistency of stock, buildings, scenery etc - if one part is excellent and the rest is straight out of the box I'm less likely to invite a layout than if everything is to a consistent standard (even if not to the highest standards).

It can be a horrible part of being an exhibition manager as you have to be so judgemental on people's hard work. Sometimes no matter how good the layout is it just won't attract the attention of a particular exhibition manager - don't stress about it and just be happy when you do get invites!

HTH

Mike
(an exhibition manager)

PLD

Mike's advice above is all good. All I can add is a couple of obervations...

Firstly, the reason a large proportion of exhibition invitations are recieved at other exhibitions is that it gives the Exhibition Manager the oportunity to see the layout in operation and the whole 'package' (presentation, lighting, etc) which can't be shown in photos before inviting it. A layout may look great in photos but it's no good if it is unreliable or poorly operated. If you are sending details to Exhibiton Managers, invite them to visit and see the layout in action before they offer an invitation. Even if they don't invite it there and then, most will be willing to offer advice on how to overcome any shortcomings they spot...

Secondly, start 'local' and build up to the bigger shows. The managers of the larger shows recieve unsolicited details of litterally dozens of layouts. You will more likely get the interest and attention of the smaller shows, looging for something new and different.

paulprice

Chaps thanks for the good advice, it has certainly given something to think about, I suppose I better get busy with some serious modelling then

Newportnobby

Perhaps you could get some cheapy flash drives to put photos/vids/track plan/dimensions etc on and send them to Exhibition Managers.

Komata

Might I also suggest that, (and totally depending-upon how small your layout is), it is possible to get an 'immediate' invite if one takes the layout along 'in person'.

Let me explain: The President of the local MR club was building a mining tramway based-upon a battery (reduction-works crushing plant) that I knew reasonably well.  Knowing of this interest,and to show him what could be done in 'N', I took along my 'Kitchen Drawer' (literally!!) Kaiser's Reef (Hauraki) Gold Mining Co. (N.L) layout, on an exhibition day being held in our local town hall.  I had no idea if he would there, the visit being purely one 'on the off-chance'.  He wasn't, so I wandered -around with all the rest of the viewing public, the layout dangling from one hand.  A VISITING exhibitor saw it, liked it, had a quick conversation with me, followed by an equally-rapid one with the Club Secretary.  Ten minutes later, using a club provided trestle table and controller,  I was exhibiting the 'Kaiser's alongside  the visitor!!  Evidently public response was sufficiently enthusiastic to warrant an invite to take Kaiser's to several subsequent 'shows (and eventually, the National Convention).

I agree that it is a somewhat 'unconventional' way to break-into the exhibition 'circuit' but would suggest it as a possible 'entry point'.  Layout size  of course would be the crucial factor.

I don't know if my post will be of any help at all, but submitted against the possibility that it might be of some use (if only to raise a smile).   
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PLD

Quote from: Komata on March 01, 2015, 12:06:45 AM
Might I also suggest that, (and totally depending-upon how small your layout is), it is possible to get an 'immediate' invite if one takes the layout along 'in person'.

Try that in the UK, you will get laughed out of town and you name will be circulated around all the other clubs as "Crank to watch out for and avoid"

Komata

PLD

What a fascinating reply: would you care to elaborate as to why this would be so?

Thanks.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

acko22

Komata,

You could say its just not British!!! Just turning up hoping to show your layout isn't the done thing Call it exhibition protocol if you like.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

paulprice

Its just nor Cricket, oh dear perhaps I should not mention the cricket

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations