!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trethillick  (Read 3314 times)

Offline bellringer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4438
    • Awards
Re: Trethillick
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 09:02:37 am »
This is going to be a great layout. As others have said, the river looks great, but I am particularly impressed with your very neat control panel with all it's section switches.

I don't have DCC either, and have similar panels - though nowhere near as neat as yours!

Dunno about you, but I find it quite satisfying pushing buttons to change points and flicking a switch to energise a loco parked on an isolated section.

Sorta like a signalman, unprototypical as it may be.

Following with great interest.  :thumbsup:

It is possible that I have 'over-engineered' the sections, however I did want flexibility. The layout is designed to be run on 2 separate controllers, with the possibility of a 3rd controller dedicated solely to the harbour - if I ever get to exhibiting it, the fiddle yard operator can have something else to do when not busy.
The main reason for this though was simply, as you said, the pleasure of flicking switches and pushing buttons.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
Yep, agree. As I was building my layout, I would put in a siding, then as an afterthought cut the rail near the end of the siding so I could isolate a loco there and have another remove stock.

Primitive perhaps, but personally satisfying!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:20 pm »
Trethillick certainly looks a highly impressive layout; the sort of North Cornwall layout I only wish I had the space for. Trethillick cannot be that small a town though if the local services are 3-coach Maunsell sets (instead of 2-coach Maunsell 2P sets of a BSK+BCK, standard in North Cornwall) and the Waterloo trains are 6-coach Mk1 sets (in the summer peak season, at weekends, in North Cornwall, 6 coaches were standard for such trains but formed of a 5-coach Bulleid 5H set formed of a BSK(Semi)+SK+CK+SK+BSK(Semi) plus a loose CK (Bulleid). But, clearly you have the space for them. Before the end of the Waterloo trains, BR Standard (MK1) coaches did start to appear in the sets.

I'm really looking forward to the next updates. The bridges look excellent.

I've studied the video you provided the link to and it looks relatively easy but highly effective. Your water areas look excellent. Many thanks for this inspiration. I've also watched the same Swedish guy's waterfall video as I will have a couple of very small waterfalls.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 10:17:57 am »
Very nice work!

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 07:29:05 am »
A prototype for your rake of BR SR Green BR Standard coaches would be one of the BR SR 4S BR Standard (BSK+SK+CK+BSK) sets which had a RB+SO inserted inbetween the CK and SK. However, you'd have to substitute a model BR Standard RMB for the RB.

Offline kelstonlad

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:03 am »
I've spent a lot of time researching ways to make water (I'm planning on a long stretch of river with some weirs), and I haven't found anything that looks as good as this.

Thanks!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 10:53:19 am »
I've spent a lot of time researching ways to make water (I'm planning on a long stretch of river with some weirs), and I haven't found anything that looks as good as this.

Thanks!

Seconded! I'm very glad that I put off finishing the water at Cant Cove for so long!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:58 am »
Will we see the Atlantic Coast Express on this? Once, when a mere 19 years old (1990) I did the whole route from Waterloo to Padstow. As the last 100 miles was freight only to Meldon Quarry then trackless beyond that (if you don't include the Launceston Steam Railway) it involved a very heavy Bergen and a lot of walking! Stunning part of the country and I will follow this thread with as much interest as everyone else. It really is beginning to look vey good.  :claphappy:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything