serious PC problem

Started by scotsoft, August 01, 2015, 07:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Only Me on August 02, 2015, 06:12:34 PMI love an armchair pc repairer but it does sometimes add confusion to a task ;)
Tsk tsk, whatever do you mean sir ?
I'm sorry if we trod on your professional toes whilst we tried to help John, by way of conversation and humble suggestions, in his hour(s) of need before you joined us.

Carry on ol' chap >>

Bealman

Let's stay focused and see if we can solve scotsoft's problem, guys  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Very sorry to hear of your problems. I have recently had exactly the same problem. Boot the computer up (desktop sytem) and after around 10 mins it just freezes. I could not even carry out the usual Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reset, so had to turn the computer off via the switch at the rear.

Anyway, I am lucky to know a guy who runs a computer shop local to me. Popped it down to him last week, and after running a thorough diagnostic check of the whole system, it turns out to be the hard drive that has gone a knacker. Luckily, everything that was saved to the hard drive has been saved (very lucky, as I don't keep back up's) :dunce: I shall from now on though! :goggleeyes:

My system is getting on for 6 years old. You really don't expect these things to happen do you?

Good luck, and hope you can get it sorted very soon.

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

scotsoft

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 02, 2015, 05:02:20 PM

Ok, so the BIOS is already set to look at the CD for bootable OS. But I still dont follow your logic.
The original post says "I have an original Windows 7 CD"
it doesnt say THE original, if you want to analyse everything that has gone earlier !

The BIOS is already set to look for a cd first.

The Windows cd rom is THE original cd rom.

Quote from: Only Me on August 02, 2015, 06:12:34 PM
My other advice is to push the power button and keep pressing the F8 key until the advanced menu appears... If you can get here and then select boot to safe mode without networking and that starts make a note of the device file it stops booting at.... I suspect mup.sys ;)

I can bring up the advanced menu by pressing the F8 key and have tried selecting most of the options open to me with no joy.  The file you mention mup.sys is not appearing.

I am still looking for a solution and will keep looking as cash is in very short supply due to my vacuum cleaner has packed in and needs replacing, the electric shower has packed in and needs replacing  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

cheers John.

MikeDunn

Just in case the heads are crashed ... I'd be tempted to lift up the base an inch & drop it down ...  But I'd also see about getting a new disk first & rebuilding  ::)  Disks are cheap ...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations