Tablets anyone ?

Started by MalcolmInN, July 30, 2015, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Quote from: Bealman on August 03, 2015, 10:46:46 AM
I'm along way away but is it a tablet or a phone?

Yours, curious  ;D :thumbsup:
The Hudl2 is an 8.3" Android tablet.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MikeDunn

Quote from: Greybeema on August 03, 2015, 11:14:12 AM
not as cheap/capable as the iPad but a whole lot cheaper to replace...
Eh  ???  You can't have it both ways - either it's not as cheap or it's cheaper  :P

I find my Fire is a nice little tablet; SWMBO's 10.1 Note is better, but mine was free  :P  As & when I get around to rigging up the layout in development for DCC via my Sprog, the Fire will get used for the purpose I sourced it for ..  Did a test the other week (was heartily sick of the OU project I'm doing  :() & got both JMRI running on my RasPi and the iThrottle on the Fire  :thumbsup:

Oldman

Slightly different here, Have an Acer Aspire Switch 11 which can be used as a laptop or tablet . Win 8.1,  32 Gb ssd primary drive but also 500 Gb Hard Drive, reversible touch screen so can be used as a tablet as well.
Was not cheap but paid for with  a successful PPI claim.  :D
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Bealman

Right now here where I live it's winter and I spend a lot of time by the Fire  :D ;D :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MalcolmInN

Fire = ~£130 so yes cheaper than the iThingies but 8Gb (or 16?) ssd, ( no microSD to expand ??? ) and not windoze wot we is all used to unless one is a linux type :)
Linx7 = ~£80 or less, £32Gb ssd, expandable by microSD to more than 32Gb ( spec says 32 but some peeps report support up to at least 128Gb)
( my current music collection over that and growing , , , !! )

So as per my first post, if anyone wants to play try out/test tablets and their eyesight/dexterity then the Linx7 is a capable cheap starter :)
( no I dont have shares in them  :laugh: {yet}  :bounce: )

PS just bought a 32Gb microSD to play with, gosh aint they small ! Amazing ! £12 in my local Tesco, dunno if that is cheap but it was quick and easy ;)

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 03, 2015, 01:41:40 PM
Fire = ~£130 so yes cheaper than the iThingies  and not windoze wot we is all used to
but neither is the I<insertYouDeviceHere>.  However, as many people have Android phones the Fire interface is familiar, as is the operation, to many people.

It's all a matter of what floats yer boat.  Personally, I dislike the Win 8-lookalike Win Phone OS that you seem to like ...  I much prefer Android.  And so it seems do the majority of purchasers; the Windows tablets don't have a particularly large market share (a touch over 5% ?).
QuoteAndroid and iOS are the top two OSes for tablets, with 67.3 percent and 27.6 percent share, respectively, of the 229.7 million units shipped in 2014. Windows had just a 5.1 percent market share
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25480015

I consider tablets to be not a lot more than a mobile browser/emailer/eBook reader with game facility ...  Let's be honest - who actually uses the Office-type apps via a touch-screen keyboard ?  Useful for reference etc - but not for proper usage (writing documents, spreadsheets etc) ...

PS just bought a 32Gb microSD to play with, gosh aint they small ! Amazing ! £12 in my local Tesco, dunno if that is cheap but it was quick and easy ;)
Sorry Malc - not particularly cheap, no.  Amazon has them from £4.30 ... or £8.89 if you want free delivery.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 03, 2015, 03:09:12 PM
It's all a matter of what floats yer boat.

Phone OS that you seem to like ...

And so it seems do the majority of purchasers; the Windows tablets don't have a particularly large market share (a touch over 5% ?).

who actually uses the Office-type apps via a touch-screen keyboard ?

or £8.89 if you want free delivery.
Very interesting points of view Mike, thanks for your thoughts and I mostly agree :) (gasps of astonishment from those in the back row :) )
especially the boat floating !

Horror of horrors,,,,  I have found a big big problem,
too small to write the contents on the label of the microSD, argh!!! what am I to do ?
I'll have to give them single digits or letters and keep a little black book :(
Is there a spy in the house, anyone into microdots !!

However, or but,, isnt there always one ;)
For the porpoises of discussion (not even disputation ) :--
I dont remember saying I liked Windows ? I actually like Linux but I do need to use Windows a lot ( that is a whole nuther topic !! ) but I did say in my first post "Then take a look at Linx 7 and Linx 8 that have your ol' fav. Windows 8.1, " note the "your" :) and interpolate some tongues in cheeks :) cos the whole point of that first post was as an alert for those who have not yet taken the great leap forward into tablets for what ever reason, you see. 'twas never meant to be a "mine is better than yours" thread, onnest
So no anti-'droid here  ;D

I've not yet looked at your 5% ref, I'll take your word for it,  but I did quote,in my second post
"of independent analysis of M$ market share of 14% and falling, contrary to M$ figures"
that was on one of the TV news on the night of my first post ( prob BBC or Ch4 cos I dont often watch the others ) it wasnt Al Jaz neither :)

Agreed market pref,,,  but only because previous offerings with windows had to bear the full cost of OEM 'doze. Now however M$ have the wind up cos of those market figs and are doing Win8.1+Bing   free  to OEMs in an attempt to retrieve a better market share. We shall see, remember how long it took Vauxhall to get markets back after the rustingVivas fiasco ?

Office things on a tablet ! I agree, perish the thought ;) mine is mainly for a big walkman and a toy.

Yes I had seen the £8 nearly9 on Amazon, so not the cheapest, cheapish and cheaper than Staples and PCworld, and yes it was free delivery cos I was passing  and I got to play right away :laugh:

That is more than enough from me,
for now ;)

EDIT
Oh botheration, I just typed all the way thro' University Challenge
wonder if they do that on iPlayer, the only good iThingy ??
ducks&runs.

MikeDunn

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 03, 2015, 08:29:18 PM
I mostly agree :) (gasps of astonishment from those in the back row :) )
especially the boat floating !
LOL  :D

I dont remember saying I liked Windows ?
Apols - was assumed from your "windoze wot we is all used to" comment  :(

I've not yet looked at your 5% ref
It makes some interesting reading ... especially the extrapolations for the next 4 years ... time will tell, but unless Apple / Google really screw up ... !  I had thought M$ had a bit more of the market share, given the M$ phones etc - but that Nokia purchase really seems to have been a bad move; not as awful as Novell buying WordPerfect  :smackedface: (how many remember / know of that these days ?) & sinking into obscurity from the dominant server OS position but definitely not particularly clever ... :hmmm:

Mike

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 03, 2015, 09:26:22 PM
Apols - was assumed from your "windoze wot we is all used to" comment  :(
Ah yes, I see I was being a bit ambiguous there, you are forgiven  :laugh:

WordPerfect  :smackedface: (how many remember / know of that these days ?)
Ah shhh, only the select few, dont let my swmbo hear us, she never fully recovered ;)
ah those days , , , when usenet newsgroups ruled the world.
How many even know usenet still has great following,

I think we are in danger of rambling now :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations