!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Electric cars - the future?  (Read 338 times)

acko22, njee20, hsthero, crewearpley40, Zwilnik, daffy, Nick, class37025 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Electric cars - the future?
« Reply #45 on: Today at 04:42:37 pm »
That just links back nicely to the OP. It isn't moot at all, that's just remarkable because it's a novel failure mechanism. You see plenty of burnt out cars, but that doesn't mean that ICE cars need better protection to avoid bursting into flames in a crash.

I can't see the combustibility of batteries being a barrier to the adoption of electric vehicle technology at all personally.

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Today at 04:46:59 pm »
Ok hpefully some of you good gents can educate me on this as @Nick has pointed out the range he gets in his electric car, how long are the batteries expected to last in an electric car?
I know that depends on all the variables (how often used, temperature, how it's charged and to what % its charged and discharged), but as an average what do they say is the life expectancy? I ask as if its a case of they last 5 years but cost thousands to replace when they decide not to play anymore then it stands fairly to say its a kick up the back side saying they are more cost efficient as what you save on fuel ends up going on some fresh AAA to power it.

Also with battery cars I think the biggest draw back it the sheer weight of the batteries, a friend of mine has an electric car and when the car had it's batteries out it was almost half the weight! So while electric battery cars are a step in the right direction long term unless someone can work how to make them much lighter they don't really do the job apart from small journeys, well unless you intend to buy the tesla truck which has a range of 800 miles, but takes 2 days to charge!

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:53:22 pm »
That just links back nicely to the OP. It isn't moot at all, that's just remarkable because it's a novel failure mechanism. You see plenty of burnt out cars, but that doesn't mean that ICE cars need better protection to avoid bursting into flames in a crash.

I can't see the combustibility of batteries being a barrier to the adoption of electric vehicle technology at all personally.

In most crashes a pierced petrol tank wont explode, in a Lithium car battery a pierced battery will explode.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here