Norwich

Started by Malc, August 30, 2018, 06:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

We are spending a few days in East Anglia and are stopping at Norwich. I'm just looking for some recommendations of railway or modelling things to do in the area. We are looking at visiting the Poppy line again, but that's all we've scheduled for now.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

crewearpley40

north norfolk railway

head to ely, sheringham, yarmouth

ColinH

Two other preserved railways in Norfolk are the Mid-Norfolk Railway at Dereham and the Bure Valley Railway at Aylsham, although this is narrow gauge - has a good model shop though. Also a model railway exhibition at Wroxham but did not impress me too much when we went a few years ago.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

zopadooper

Go to Dereham and the Mid Norfolk railway.  A good half day trip and they have a small range of n-gauge in their shop

martyn

East Anglian transport museum at Carlton Colville (near Lowestoft). Mainly buses, cars,  and working trams but a small narrow gauge railway.

Wells and Wolsingham light railway. Narrow gauge on the former Wells branch trackbed-worked by a Beyer Garret?

Strumpshaw Steam museum, near Norwich.

Thursford steam and organ museum.

Bressingham, near Diss.

HTH

martyn

davidinyork

Also an opportunity to get some loco-hauled trains on the mainline out of Norwich - won't be possible there for much longer as everything is being replaced by new MUs in the next couple of years.

PWayman

Yep!  that's true, get them while you can, The DRS class 37's will be withdrawn after this summer. Class 37's top and tailed on 3 MK 2's don't half fly away on start, and the noise !!!!    Just enjoyed the set from Norwich to Yarmouth and then Lowestoft 2 weeks ago. A 500mile round trip for me was well worthwhile.
    Get a Wherry Line Day Ranger , it is the best possible price. £8 I think.

Greater Anglian Railways e mailed me with a list of the class 37 set timings on request. They are very helpful. Sorry I no longer have my timing sheet or I would include it here.

Don't miss out !

davidinyork

Quote from: PWayman on August 31, 2018, 03:26:38 PM
Yep!  that's true, get them while you can, The DRS class 37's will be withdrawn after this summer. Class 37's top and tailed on 3 MK 2's don't half fly away on start, and the noise !!!!    Just enjoyed the set from Norwich to Yarmouth and then Lowestoft 2 weeks ago. A 500mile round trip for me was well worthwhile.
    Get a Wherry Line Day Ranger , it is the best possible price. £8 I think.

Don't miss out !

Not just them - the 90s and Mk3s are all due to be gone by the end of next year too.

PWayman

Very true also.  The first built 90001 Crown Point was on the London train when I was boarding the 37 set in the next platform.

PWayman

Just to add, I wonder if The good folks of East Anglia will regret the passing of the MK 3 coaches, the best and safest coaches ever built in my personal view. On various railways they were hauled and pushed by the best train ever built here also. Lucky Scotland and some GWR trains getting the HST 2 + 4 sets, I bet they can't half accelerate away. Wish Northern were getting some.
   The 90's when they were first used on Norwich trains were pretty unreliable but after being fitted with remote fault monitoring their failure rate was dramaticly reduced as developing problems could be recorded before they actually happened.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations