!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A4 Quicksilver 1938 build project  (Read 206 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A4 Quicksilver 1938 build project
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:47 pm »
A4 –Quicksilver 1938 can anyone help with details

Ive chosen to model A4 Quicksilver using Farish for which I have A2 / A3 / A4 components.

Ive info from the LNER 150 book however its limited, Quicksilver went in for a major overhaul in 1938 when 3 years old. The attached photo shows it being prepped with paint and adorned with the cast nameplate which i’m guessing was a brand new fitment as I think it would have been signwritten originally mid length.

The A4 body is going to have the sideskirts made from brass shim, glued in place with a back clearance to shaved A3 cylinders so the body lifts off easily.

The tender I could benefit from advice on. Was it a corridor tender for which I can use a Farish A4 tender body or was it a corridorless A1 / A2 tender for which I have a Chinese Bachmann Farish tender body which I think should fit on the A4 chassis with a bit of work, I also question if the water section should have the streamlined top curved roof with the large circular hole?

I was originally thinking of painting the original silver / grey however i’m guessing that at the 1938 major overhaul that it would have been turned out in Garter blue.

Ive a couple of books on LNER, ive also asked questions of members of my local club, also asked questions of full size steam enthusiasts and ive tried google however I can’t find definitive info.

If you can help with info on body and wheel colours and help with info on the 1938 tender specification i would appreciate to hear.
Kind regards to all

Offline javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Re: A4 Quicksilver 1938 build project
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
According to my copy of the RTCS green series of books, Quicksilver was repainted into Garter Blue in May 1938 and then war time black in October 1943. There is no record in the book that she ever towed a non-corridor tender but to be correct you'll need to remove the side beading and reinstate the curve on the rear of the Farish tender.

Hope this helps.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 06:15:57 pm »
Thanks Steve, with reference to the tender do you mean to fit a curved roof with the large circular hole over the water section?
Also i assume with the wartime black that the side skirts were removed, never to reappear?
Kind regards Fred

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:27 pm »
I don't know for certain about the covered water tank but I suspect it was removed. From memory, the rear of the Farish A3/A4 corridor tender represents the cut down version from the 1948 exchange trials. The rear plate will need to cut outs either side of the corridor connector reinstating to represent a tender pre-1948 (or indeed one post then which wasn't involved in the exchanges).

For wartime black, there was an intermediate stage in the removal of the valances which left the section between the cylinder and buffer beam intact. I don't know how many locomotives this stage was applied to (it's possibly in the book but I've not come across it from a casual glance). 

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:28 pm »
No. 2510 Quicksilver was in Doncaster for a General Repair from 12 April to 28 May 1938.  She was outshopped in Garter blue with nameplates and 'CLASS A4' below the front number.  Her original corridor tender was No. 5590, changed to No. 5589 (also corridor) during her first repair in Doncaster from 21 January to 7 February 1936.  That was an exchange with No. 2509 Silver Link and No. 2510 kept this tender until withdrawn on 27 April 1963.  The tender was converted to a larger coal space by removing most of the top fairing on 10 December 1937.  This increased the nominal coal capacity from 8 to 9 tons. 

I have seen a lovely photograph of No. 2510 on the down 'Coronation' in either 1938 or 1939.

Best wishes for your project.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
Thanks gentlemen.
So im aiming for outshopped as Garter Blue, nameplates, (thats the bit that got me started), side skirts, corridor tender without fairings.
Question, does anybody have a photo of the tender fairings and the smaller coal capacity?
Do i guess the wheelsets are all in red?
Kind regards to all

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 11:18:53 am »
Thanks gentlemen.
So im aiming for outshopped as Garter Blue, nameplates, (thats the bit that got me started), side skirts, corridor tender without fairings.
Question, does anybody have a photo of the tender fairings and the smaller coal capacity?
Do i guess the wheelsets are all in red?
Kind regards to all

I'd say yes to the red wheel centres.

For the photograph of a tender top in original condition please see Yeadon, WB, Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives, Vol 2 Gresley A4 and W1 Classes, 1990, Irwell Press, Pinner, ISBN 1 871608 15 5.  Page 74 has excellent photographs, from above, of No. 4489's tender in both original and modified condition.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £62.00
Above Goal: £7.00
Site Currency: GBP
113% 
June Donations

Advertise Here