!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Station positioning  (Read 354 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Station positioning
« on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:31 pm »
Are there any rules on which platform a station should be positioned? I only ask as got a platform between a branch and inner mainline and one on the outer mainline.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Dave

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Station positioning
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 12:36:33 pm »
I couldn't say there are any 'rules' but passenger access/egress to the main station building/ticket office and car parking/taxi rank might dictate siting of platforms. Remember you can have access to other platforms by the likes of footbridge or subway. However, I model transition era so facilities for more modern eras would differ somewhat, methinks.

Offline edwin_m

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »
If you have a single-sided platform and a double-sided platform then the main buildings with ticket office etc will probably be on the single-sided platform, as there is more room to build without having to move tracks out of the way and the access from the street will most likely be on that side too. 

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:32:50 am »
Dave,

You will get a thousand different answers to this question and they are all right and wrong!! As @edwin_m says if a station was built with the mainline and branch from the start the single platform would generally be where you would find the station building an example is Northwich while the branch line platform (Middlewich branch)is out of use the layout is still there.

But if one of the lines came later then it could go anywhere its totally up to you how you want your layout to go! as @Newportnobby says about era that can be the biggest factor, I know for 1 station like what your planning (I honestly cant remember the name) when they did a rebuild they built a new station building in between the main and branch line the old one was sold for offices.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:50:38 am »
The positioning of the station was mostly to do with access to the station from the roads.
 (though there were one or two stations with no road access.)
In the case of one real station I'm modelling (in EM gauge) that meant that originally all access was over a siding.
Often Branch lines could be built later leaving the station then Isolated on the platform, except by footbridge.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
Yes, the goods yard would most likely be on the same side as the main building, to share a road access and to make it easier for staff.  I can think of two stations, Bangor and Halifax, which were enlarged so the platform with the main building became an island and there was a running line past what was previously the main entrance. 

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:43:02 pm »
Remember that platform 1 is usually on the up line.

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 07:11:41 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Think I will put the station on the up line side, gives me more room for a station as well which will be good. Need to have a think about access, although could say that happens off board.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »
Remember that platform 1 is usually on the up line.
...except when it isn't.  In many places it just seems to be the one closest to the main entrance.  But at Bristol Temple Meads, prior to the re-signalling around 1970, platform 1 was both the furthest from the entrance and the furthest to the Down side of the station! 

Online Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:33 am »
Just to show that exceptions existed, here is a shot of Bourne End station before the closure of the line north to High Wycombe. The main station building was on the Down platform, behind the bay platform for the Marlow branchline. The Goods yard and shed were behind the Up platform which only featured a wooden shelter.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:58:02 am by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything