!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cull of UM's older models?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Cull of UM's older models?
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:12 am »
Hi all,

I recently received a spare part from UM to repair one of their models. In with the part was the usual leaflet of current availability - it was interesting to read that it seems that most of the older models (basically anything of non-GWR origin) won't be being done again, and what's left is all there'll be.

I'll need to look again and check my interpretation of that, but has anyone else seen that and come to the same conclusion? Seems a bit strange given how many of these are unique and not available from any other manufacturer.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Cull of UM's older models?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:42 am »
Interesting.

It might be as simple as Colin choosing to focus on those models that sell well, which the GWR ones evidently do. If he's got limited workshop space, or older toolings that would need time/money to repair, then removing those unprofitable models from his range makes sense.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:35 am »
It might be as simple as Colin choosing to focus on those models that sell well, which the GWR ones evidently do. If he's got limited workshop space, or older toolings that would need time/money to repair, then removing those unprofitable models from his range makes sense.

I could understand that some of the older toolings might be getting close to being life expired (some are 20 years old, others like the tender drive are used commonly on many of the models so will have had a lot more use); but this is essentially culling 90% of all his products, some being pretty new like the D16.

Odd.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:10 am »
If he is doing this we can expect E Bay prices to hit outer space.   A pity though I appreciate he is running a business not a charity.  I could be tempted by his director but otherwise I think I have all I need from the range he has produced to date.

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:18:03 am »
When I bought my last UM model a while ago there was a stock list enclosed and there were fewer
locos available than previously. Interestingly a few days ago someone was complaining about the
last three models all being GWR types, however for quite a while UM produced quite a few of the
other Big 4 locos especially LNER and SR which were not covered by Dapol or Farish.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:41:44 pm »
As portpatrick says look out for those hugely overpriced 'rarities' on Fleabay coming to a computer near you ::)

Offline Dancess

• N Gauge Society Number: 4344
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:54:35 pm »
That probably explains why I couldn't see an advert for Union Mills in the latest N Gauge journal. Any chance of seeing latest stock list?

Thanks
Building layout in attic - at last!!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
Hi all,

I recently received a spare part from UM to repair one of their models. In with the part was the usual leaflet of current availability - it was interesting to read that it seems that most of the older models (basically anything of non-GWR origin) won't be being done again, and what's left is all there'll be.

I'll need to look again and check my interpretation of that, but has anyone else seen that and come to the same conclusion? Seems a bit strange given how many of these are unique and not available from any other manufacturer.

Cheers,
Alan

That was certainly my interpretation of the latest list, Alan.  I understood that some of the models were made from parts already in stock and that they might not be made again.  I sent off an order on the basis that it might just be my last chance...

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:52:17 pm »
Interesting.

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo

I doubt all his earlier models were un profitable although clearly a few like the J38 did not seem to sell particularly well from all accounts. Probably not a surprise in the case of that particular loco as there were only 30, usually confined to lugging coal around Scotland.

What is a bit of a shock to me is the total cull of everything prior to the Dean Goods. I would have hoped for a slightly more selective approach as there are some very decent models (Super D, 2P 4-4-0, J11, D16/3, Cauliflower for a few) but of course it is Mr Heard's business, and maybe he sees this rationalisation as necessary. In a way I am pleased to find this out now, it will ensure that I do not sell off any more of the UM models I do have.

I too would be grateful if somebody could post a list of his current stock, just so I have a chance to buy anything I may have passed up on initially.

Roy

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:09:01 pm »
It may well be that hes decided some of the older models could be made better if they were re-done. So clearing the decks to make way for the new.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 09:55:47 am »
It may well be that hes decided some of the older models could be made better if they were re-done. So clearing the decks to make way for the new.

Some of the old ones, maybe; but a lot of these are pretty recent, like the D16, which has the latest motor etc. That's why it's odd.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »
So at the risk of appearing desperate in case I miss out on the chance, can anyone tell me what he has left in stock if they can't post up a copy of his current list? I don't want to waste Mr H's time asking him for a list if there's nothing for me on it.

Hopefully..

Roy

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »
So at the risk of appearing desperate in case I miss out on the chance, can anyone tell me what he has left in stock if they can't post up a copy of his current list? I don't want to waste Mr H's time asking him for a list if there's nothing for me on it.
Same here!

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 06:57:09 pm »
Has anybody spoken to Colin on the phone to verify any of these rumours?
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 07:24:20 pm »
Has anybody spoken to Colin on the phone to verify any of these rumours?
Just what I was wondering?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here