!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Strathcarron and Lochdubh Railway  (Read 784 times)

Offline McRuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Strathcarron and Lochdubh Railway
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:36:03 am »
I think that with the changes in my live, I will start a new topic. As the old Isle of Skye modular railway is no longer, and these is my third second layout after the IoS. In short due to my ongoing seperation from my wife I will move houses again. I will move into my parents house, where my layout will get its final layout room measuring 4x4 meters.
Before the house move I will held a last operating session by the end of June. After that the only progress will be the construction of the benchwork in the new layout room.
Now for some fictisous history for my little railway. As many of you know the the railway line to Kyle of Lochalsh, ended for about two decades at Strome Ferry. These was to the dissapointment of many people. Now these is where my altered history starts. The 12th Earl of Loch Carron (which was a strong promoter of railway lines in the Highland see the IoS Railway and GaU Railway) planned a railway line which starts at the Kyle line station of Strathcarron. The line travels to Lochcarron, Arrdaroch, Tornapress and climbs up the mountains, passing south of Beinn Bhan to Lochdubh which would be in the area between Applecross and Camusterrach. The Earl invested a lot of money in the line, and it was built to a very high standard. He also errected a pier at Lochdubh. Due to the pier Lochdubh offers Steamer to Portree, Tarbert and Stornoway on the Isle of Harris and Lewis and a steamer connection to Lochmaddy on North Uist. He also invested in some industries along the line, e.g. a Whisky destillery at Lochdubh and a quarry at Duncraig (just north of Lochdubh (befor passing Beinn Bhan. In my history the line to Kyle was finished to Kyle of Lochalsh, but it was operated as a brachnline.
During the last few weeks I started with the scenic work on the harbour area. I painted the water surface with Marabu acrylic blue colour, and drybrushed it with a olive green colour from the same company. I dressed the pier walls with Slaters embossed plastic card, and painted it with Revell email paint. The pier surface was made with Moltofill Modelling past, which cures softer than spackling compound. When dry I embossed the cobble stones with a rolling stamp from RailNscale. After these I painted the surface with acrylic grey, and drybrushed it with light grey, brown, sand colour and white. The first layer of water is created with Marabu window colour cristal clear, which will be followed by a second layer in the next few days. I also addes some puddles on the pier surface with the window color.

Markus

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Strathcarron and Lochdubh Railway
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:19:58 am »
Sorry to hear of your problems, Markus. Having been a keen follower of your modelling I really look forward to seeing this develop.
If you don't mind me saying, your water looks very blue even for Scotland and I think needs some more green.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:49 am »
Yes, agree with the above post.

All the best mate, and am looking forward to developments.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:47:05 am »
Hi Markus (again from other post this morning),

Like the back story and looking forward to the new start.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:36:54 pm »
Yes, that's a very nice back story Marcus.  By the way, when did the Kyle line terminate at Strome Ferry?  I've always known it as a line through to Kyle and my pre-grouping map shows the HR through to Kyle.  I would be interested to know the real history as well as your back story.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:30:15 pm »
Hello,

to my knowledge, the Kyle Line terminated from 1870 until 1897 in Strathcarron. The construction of the line between Strathcarron and Kyle of Lochalsh started in 1893.

Markus

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 10:44:21 pm »
I made some test with diluted acrylic paints (green, grey and black), to me the green looked the best, but due to the uneven surface, it cumulated in the low spots. So I mixed some green in to the Window Colour cristall clear and applied it on an area where I haven't applied paint. The result could be seen here.

the area with the mixed in green is on the left below the area with the bright green spots.

Markus

Online GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 07:40:00 am »
Following this with great interest ... and hoping to hear more about the locals in Lochdubh!  :D

:beers:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
Nice to see another West Coast Highland railway. Tapadh leat

An interesting history, which confused me as you moved Loch Dubh :bounce:,
You've made a typo as in the reply on third of June you said the line terminated at Strathcarron, when it terminated at Strome Ferry until 29th November 1897, but you were correct in the orginal text of the Fake history..

Should you wish to build a ferry for the route, then this is the ship that ran from 63 to 84, on the Lochmaddy  / Tarbert route.  " The Hebrides"

and this one for most of the time till 2000.. " The Hebridean Isles"

I've travelled on Both several times....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:20:48 am by The Q »

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 03:05:33 am »
Aye...

The earth belongs unto the Lord,
And all that it contains.
Except for the Western Isles o'course,
'cause that belongs to MacBraynes.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:24:36 am »
The sister ship of the MV Hebrides ,the MV Hebridean Princess (ex MV Columba) still sails these waters but as  a 49 passenger cruise ship rather than a  600 passenger ferry

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:59 am »
The sister ship of the MV Hebrides ,the MV Hebridean Princess (ex MV Columba) still sails these waters but as  a 49 passenger cruise ship rather than a  600 passenger ferry

Yes that class of Cal'y Mac Boats were built as Nuclear command centres, tough as old boots they are.

The version of the poem I knew out there was..

God created the world and all it contains,
But the Hebridies..... They belong to Macbraynes..

Anyway, we need more news of the,  wide shallow valley of the rough river and black lake  railway.

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 09:21:46 pm »
A new video update from my railway room.

Markus

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 09:40:25 pm »
Thanks, Markus. I understand you thinking the water is now perhaps too green but I would suggest you leave it a while and look at it from different angles. I noticed in the video report it sometimes looked spot on to my eyes.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:10 am »
I like the progress So far,
My comments on the water, the colour looks a little uniform and too green at the moment, I feel it needs more light and shade.. and that shade if you can't do see through should be more blue grey   

On the West coast  / Hebridies the water is generally exceptionally clear and you can see the bottom when there isn't a storm to stir things up.
Though of course you're naming one village Loch Dubh, which would indicate that the Loch has more likely a heavily seaweeded bottom, this would show through as dark blue grey,

Here's a picture looking across Loch Carron at Strome Ferry

I must admit I haven't yet worked out how to get that depth of water on my layout, which will be required as the sandy bottom really does show through the water.

May I say, that when you come round to doing seaweed, tea leaves are remarkably good at representing them (not my idea)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:17:16 am by The Q »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything