!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish A4 valence fitting  (Read 309 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish A4 valence fitting
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »
May I as is there a post on here detailing how to make and fit Valences to a Poole style A4 here on the forum or elsewhere? Ive been looking but cant locate.
I do mean fitting to a Farish, im not going anywhere near a Dapol A4; i also have  a number of Farish A4’s so would want a physical match.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Farish A4 valence fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:01:06 am »
The valve gear is too wide and unless you remove most of it just like the Dapol ones nothing is going to fit.

however if you get past this you should be able to create a template and make them of very thin plasticard.

Offline Stanier fan

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:47:10 am »
A kit to convert a Farish A4 to the valanced version is available from Langley models. I have never used it, so I can't say how easy it is to use but it may be worth exploring.

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotive_Body_kits_73.html Second from bottom.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:59 am »
The valve gear is too wide and unless you remove most of it just like the Dapol ones nothing is going to fit.

The Langley kit does not require valve gear removal from what I recall.

With gentle modification full valve gear can be fitted to the Dapol model too - I've done that.

I've seen the Minitrix model with full valve gear also so-fitted.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:56 am »

The Langley kit does not require valve gear removal from what I recall.

With gentle modification full valve gear can be fitted to the Dapol model too - I've done that.

I've seen the Minitrix model with full valve gear also so-fitted.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan

Yes you can but you and I know what we are doing, others wont and will end up with a jammed mangled mess.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:19:02 am »
Yes you can but you and I know what we are doing, others wont and will end up with a jammed mangled mess.

Perhaps for fitting to the Dapol model (although frankly this was not hard and eminently achievable); but the Langley kit is designed with this in mind - the valances fit over the edges of the footplate, meaning the full loco is slightly wider to give enough space.

And also, respectfully, why denigrate others ability, and those who may want to try - who's to say they can't achieve it?! Fredastaire has the capability I'm sure!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:14 am »

Perhaps for fitting to the Dapol model (although frankly this was not hard and eminently achievable); but the Langley kit is designed with this in mind - the valances fit over the edges of the footplate, meaning the full loco is slightly wider to give enough space.

And also, respectfully, why denigrate others ability, and those who may want to try - who's to say they can't achieve it?! Fredastaire has the capability I'm sure!

Cheers,
Alan

As a habit if i propose something where experience, skill or care is required I always flag this up as I have seen several instances of modelers believing they can make modifications following forum posts, and destroying £150 models and getting very upset about it.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 09:36:11 am »
As a habit if i propose something where experience, skill or care is required I always flag this up as I have seen several instances of modelers believing they can make modifications following forum posts, and destroying £150 models and getting very upset about it.

Fair enough, but I think that's implicit when kits are suggested. Kits (admittedly not all) are generally designed to be achievable by the average modeller with some experience, something the OP definitely has.

As a habit I try not to discourage folk attempting things, like that - that's how you learn new skills - that's how I learned - bear in mind the Farish A4 is not £150 either - a good one can be got for £50-60, and a paint worn or poorer condition one for less - and obviously if someone concerned about having trouble should start with a secondhand or scrappier donor.

For the OP I'd suggest getting the Langley kit - it's only £12 so even if you decide not to use all the parts or do the valances differently, it should still have useful components (the single chimney, tender streamlining components) and be insightful.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 11:19:38 am »
Gentlemen, thanks for the steerage, id seen the Langley kit a long time back and my memory had it wrong in thinking it for Minitrix. With this post i was expecting, hoping, for comment towards plasticard.
In practise im planning a heinz 57; I have a low hours Merry Hampton, Dr Al has an A4 loco body, i have a flying scotsman loco body to donate buffers and its tender body. The A3 needs its front bogie link shortening and i think i can use the A3 cylinders as they will be hidden behind valences.
Im well on with model work and engineering (and an active restorer of 1950’s Austin J40 pedal cars), however ‘n gauge’ is my choice now in retirement so minaturising is a learning curve.
Please keep any comments coming as i appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:21:33 am by Fredastaire »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 11:24:29 am »
The A3 needs its front bogie link shortening and i think i can use the A3 cylinders as they will be hidden behind valences.

I have A4 bogies and cylinders, so could do you a swap for the A3 ones if that helped - everything else on the two chassis are identical.

Cheers,
Alan

Online mojo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 04:51:22 pm »
I have used the Langley kit (side valances only) and even with poor eyesight, arthritic fingers and at the best average modelling skills, I achieved a decent model in the end using epoxy to fix the valance to the stripped body then filing, sanding etc. to finish. Before fixing the valances I made outline copies of them onto thin brass sheet and used these for a second model. The Langley ones are relatively thick being in white metal.
Maurice C.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here