!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tales from my Stock Box  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tales from my Stock Box
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »
Thanks John,

It was Jerry who suggested that I might consider visiting the show as Bodmin and Wenford would be shown in its entirety (or rather its current state of progress). If Ashburton is going to be there as well, then I'll try to double my efforts to attend. Unfortunately, it isn't a day try for me and funds are tight at the moment.  :(

Offline JohnBS

• N Gauge Society Number: 17148
  • 2mm Association Number: 1577
  • 2mm scale, N-gauge, GWR 1900-40, Totnes, Ashburton
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »
. . . of Castles and Kings . . .

No 4073 “Caerphilly Castle” c.1930
The first of the ‘Castles’.
Built 1923 Withdrawn 1960

The model was substantially modified from a Farish Castle. A five-pole armature was fitted and the mechanism was adapted with a replacement worm and worm wheel set giving a 38:1 reduction instead of the original 25:1. Cosmetic frame layers with springing and brakes were bonded to the chassis block and a new keeper plate was made from copper-clad fibreglass with phosphor-bronze wire pickups. Driving wheels were from the Beaver range, of near scale diameter and at scale centres, with scratch-built rods, cross-heads and slide bars. The working outside valve linkage was operated by a wire from the back of the cross-head in a blackened loop at the rear end of the valve piston. The bogie truck was scratch built.
The motor pole pieces were thinned down, permitting a new fire-box wrapper of nickel-silver shim, with the correct waisted shape. (See notes on the construction of Dartington Hall in a previous post.) The engine superstructure was modified to give clearance for the larger diameter wheels by adding brass shims to the ground out splashers, incidentally allowing for a representation of the polished brass beading. The skirt between boiler and footplate was drilled away and new turned metal boiler fittings and cab details were fitted.
The tender chassis has current collection linked back to the loco, and the tender superstructure was cut down and modified in detail to represent the earlier 3500 gallon type. Axle boxes, brake gear and other details were added.

No 6005 “King George II” c.1930
The most powerful 4-6-0
Built 1927 Withdrawn 1962

The model started life as a Farish King with fairly severe changes. Again, the mechanism was adapted with a five-pole armature and a replacement worm and worm wheel set giving a 38:1 reduction instead of the original 25:1. Cosmetic frame layers with springing and brakes were bonded to the chassis block and a new keeper plate was made from copper-clad fibreglass, with phosphor bronze wire pickups. Driving wheels were salvaged from an old Fleischmann mechanism and are of scale diameter. with scratch-built rods and cross heads. The working outside valve linkage operates as in the Castle. The bogie truck is scratch built, with the characteristic (dummy) outside bearings for the front axle.
The motor pole pieces were thinned down, and enclosed in a new narrower fire-box wrapper of nickel silver shim, with the correct waisted shape, as for the Castle above. Again, the engine superstructure was modified to give clearance for the larger diameter wheels. New boiler fittings and cab details were fitted and bright steel details - tyres, driving wheel hubs, buffers, smokebox door hinges, cylinder covers, reversing rod and handrails - were added.
The tender chassis has current collection linked back to the loco and axle boxes, brake gear and other details were added. The tender superstructure was modified in detail with the coal space correctly represented.

Next - the Big One.

John

For more information see my blog: http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 08:24:02 pm »
Lovely John, can't wait to see the 'big one' again. Unique in N gauge?

A quick question about the Beaver wheels, how did you quarter them? I know from experience that once they're on they ARE on!

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 10:01:56 pm »
Steve,
I agree with you about the Beaver wheels* - quartering can be a real headache.
Usually, I very gently ream the back of the metal hub with a tapered reamer - just enough to start the axle by about 0.5mm (i.e. before it binds irrevocably). Then I lightly put the pairs of wheels on their axles and quarter them by sighting through the spokes. When wheels are on all the axles, provisionally quartered, I put them in the chassis and temporarily fit the coupling rods. Then, it is time to check for free running and adjust as necessary (you can see why I like to have a removable keeper plate). Finally, when all is OK, I take the wheels (on their axles) out of the chassis and carefully press them fully home on the axles in a vice, taking care to ensure that the wheels are parallel and square to the axles.
It's not a perfect answer but I hope that this helps.
John
For those not familiar with Beaver wheels, they consist of a brass tube centre bonded to black plastic (acetal?) spokes and a turned steel tyre. Crank pin holes are moulded in and the pins are headed steel with a nice drift to aid fitting. Axles are polished steel, an interference fit in the centres. Although, I believe, out of production, they are sometimes available on line.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:16:40 am by JohnBS, Reason: Correction and additional information »

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »
Finally, The Big One

No 111 “The Great Bear” c.1922
The Great Western’s only 4-6-2 ‘Pacific’, for its time a huge locomotive.
Built 1908 Withdrawn 1924 (parts re-built as a 'Castle')

As far as I can determine, the prototype never made it to South Devon, though it is reported that it travelled as far as Newton Abbot. However, of course, Rule 1 applies.
The model is based on a Fleischmann powered tender drive, selected for the approximately correct wheelbase and wheel diameter. Originally, the locomotive used the complete (butchered) Fleischmann chassis but the wiper pick-ups proved somewhat delicate and my phosphor-bronze alternatives tended to generate too much friction. From time to time, "The Great Bear" became "The Great Sledge".
So an alternative approach was necessary. Now, the unpowered engine chassis is of scratch-built split-frame construction with wheels from the late Mike Bryant range, on half-axles with insulating muffs – the typical 2mm Scale Association method - so no wiper pick-ups. Current collection was transferred to the tender. Connecting and coupling rods, slide bars and crossheads were scratch-built in nickel-silver (scrap Peco track).
The engine and tender superstructures are entirely of plastic card with metal details and fittings.

. . .  here endeth the lesson . . . However, I will post news of any future locomotives that come into my stock box. Meanwhile, if you have any comments or queries on the techniques that I have used, don't hesitate to say so.

John

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2018, 09:24:32 pm »
Wonderful; simply wonderful.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:48 am »
I really like your model of The Great Bear and for me it was one of the most surprising things to roll out of Swindon. I always thought it was a shame that the
GWR didn't try to develop it further and sort out the issues with the prototype - a GWR pacific fleet would have been a sign to behold!

Thank you for sharing your models on the forum, any chance of some photographs of your layouts now please?  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32:54 am »
Just..........Wow! :goggleeyes:

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
A very impressive model of a very impressive loco. :thumbsup:

:greatwork: :wonderfulmodelling: :thankyousign:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2018, 09:07:42 pm »
Thank you all for your kind comments.
We've just come back from exhibiting Ashburton at a two-day show in a small venue in Mere, Wiltshire - tiring but great fun. Perhaps I should open a new thread on my layouts in a different part of this forum.
Best wishes,
John

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2018, 09:46:37 pm »
Yes please do your layouts are what I aspire to!!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2018, 09:56:39 pm »
Please do John, you're layouts are some of the best I've seen in 2 mil.

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »
Hi all,
I've just come across a pair of articles that I wrote for the 2mm Scale Association magazine way back in the 1980s. They describe the methods I used to build the 47xx 2-8-0 locomotive - a scratch-building hybrid of metal chassis construction but with a plastic card superstructure. I will have a go with OCR and scanning to get them in a postable form, for information. Let's see how I get on.
Best wishes,
John

Offline Graham63

• N Gauge Society Number: 4067
  • 2mm Association Number: 1755
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2018, 08:14:05 pm »
Been an admirer of your modelling since I read those articles when they first appeared ye gods I must be old. One thing I've always wondered is the origin of the 4 wheel coaches on Ashburton.

Offline JohnBS

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2018, 09:28:52 pm »
Graham,
Thanks for your comments.
The four-wheelers are basically Farish generic jobbies. Firstly, I discarded the roofs and filed down the end profiles, then formed low-arc roofs of plastic card with plastic rodding as gas lines and short plastic cylinders for the gas ventilators. These were put to one side until after painting.
For one coach, I added a clerestory, for variety. Another coach was fitted out as a Guard/Third, with guards duckets of plastic card and some windows were filled in and doors re-scribed. Each coach had buffers removed from one end and the couplings shortened to give more prototypical close coupling. One end of the first and last coach was detailed with plastic micro strip panels, wire handrails and fitted with Kadee couplings and tail lamps. Then the whole rake was repainted, lined, glazing re-fitted, roofs fixed, and weathered.
I hope tha this helps.
Best wishes,
John

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations