!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 01:59:31 pm »
Following the arrival of some bits from the 2mm scale association today, I'm going to admit to feeling slightly smug at the moment.

Above is the test build of my first scratch built turnout based on the CAD shown a few posts about. The curve is a 12 inch radius but looks bigger as I included enough track at each end to take a wagon for testing. As I don't have any gauges, I set my calipers to 9 mm and used these to set the gauge - likewise with the check rails set at 0.9mm clearance. Amazingly a Peco wagon runs through the turnout without any problems. Construction time was about 2 hours but quite a bit of that time was working out how I wanted to tackle various things so I think I could get the time down a bit. Overall cost in materials must be less than 2.

Sorry about the untidy soldering, I have gaped the sleepers that were clogged with solder since the picture was taken.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 02:18:49 pm »

Sorry about the untidy soldering

Hah! You've never seen (and never will see) my attempts at soldering. It's so bad I have to get someone else to do it for me.

You should feel smug. It looks very good.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 02:34:23 pm »
Cracking job. :thumbsup: I lack the courage to tackle DIY track. :envy:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 08:21:15 pm »
Thanks guys,

Mick, you'll never see my earliest attempts at soldering either. I found the key was to have a hot iron and a good flux. For general modelling, I now use Carrs 145 degree solder and 9% liquid phosphoric acid flux (both available at Eileen's Emporium). For the turnout, I used general electrical solder and a small amount of Fry's Power Flux paste as I didn't want the solder to flow too much.

RailGooner, I would have never thought I'd try and scratch build my own track either. However, having built several of the Finetrax turnouts, I though 'how hard can it be?!'

The answer to that is not as hard as I thought it would be and quicker than threading plastic chairs onto code 40 rail - although the Finetrax turnouts look far better and there is no way I'm replacing them with copper clad for the scenic section!

I paid 7.50 for ten meters of code 40 rail, 2.50 for 500 'regular' sleepers and 2.50 for 75 50mm long sleepers. At most, the turnout consumed a meter or rail, 18 regular sleepers and 7 long sleepers so about 1.11 in raw materials (plus whatever the cost of the solder and flux was). However, it does cost 20 to join the 2mm Association to gain access to their shops - but this does give you access to a lot of items.

I do already own a Finetrax rail filing jig (a Christmas present with my first turnout kit) which I used to file the blades and frog. Again, this isn't too expensive to buy.

As I am currently cash poor, I'm really encouraged by the result of this experiment and I'm looking forward to tackling a couple of complex formations in the future. :)

Have a go, it isn't a huge amount of money to invest (compared to buying rtr turnouts) and you may well (like I have) surprise yourself.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »
I've soldered up a few straight pieces of track and lashed up a temporary test track on a bit of shelving. At the moment I'm having to change the polarity of the frog using some crocodile clips but some test locomotives have run through the turnout under power!

Here is the proof...

While not in the video, a Dapol valanced A4 has also been tested without incident. I think there might be some mileage in hand building the fiddle yard track...  :hmmm:

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 07:13:14 pm »
Hi Steve

Really impressed, the point works perfectly! A great solution for Hadley Wood's Fiddle Yard, I'm even encouraged to have a go myself!

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 08:39:31 pm »
Hi Steve

Really impressed, the point works perfectly! A great solution for Hadley Wood's Fiddle Yard, I'm even encouraged to have a go myself!

Roy

Thanks Roy, believe it or not the most troublesome area is one of the straights as it isn't quite level. This causes occasional stalling on the Jinty but no problem for larger locomotives. The turnout itself is great with nothing stalling on it at all so far. :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 09:15:10 pm »

Have a go, you may well (like I have) surprise yourself.

Doubt it. One of my school reports read "his work turned out to the standard I anticipated" :confused2: :'(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2018, 09:05:25 am »
Doubt it. One of my school reports read "his work turned out to the standard I anticipated" :confused2: :'(

That's no necessarily a bad thing Mick, the standard anticipated could have been very high!  :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 09:16:05 am »
My 1965 report said "Mathematics is not his best subject"

Went on to become a physics teacher, so the young Beatles fan that he was probably didn't know much more than me at the time  ;)

Back to the layout....

Following along with great interest!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:22 pm »
I've built a second turnout around some other jobs on the go today.

This time I printed off a second copy of the plan which was then stuck to some 0.5mm thick cardboard. I then cut out some crude disposable jigs of the frog and angles for the check rails from this. Excluding the time taken make the jigs, the turnout was constructed in under two hours this time.

Now if I can just make a double slip that works, I'll be using this method for the fiddle yard!  :o

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 09:03:27 pm »
Ok so I've decided to try and tackle the double slip. This is the progress after a couple of hours this evening.

There is still a bit still to do but it is looking promising at the moment. I haven't thought about how to isolate the various sections, I just want to be able to free wheel some wagons though this one to prove it works.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 10:54:01 pm »
Terrific work Steve, you certainly are bringing this whole concept on in leaps and bounds!

Roy

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »
Thank You is locked
Why?

Thankyou btw.

Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:38 pm »
Thanks Roy,

If I get the double slip finished (and working) I'll bring it with me on Saturday for you to have a look at.

At two hours invested in it so far, it isn't quick but it is cheaper that the rtr alternative! :)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything