!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:32 pm »
Hi all,

Not too much progress to report, I'm afraid. I was hit by another bout of depression recently which managed to completely take me by surprise and wipe me out for a couple of weeks. This has been really annoying as I've been getting very good at managing this and haven't had any serious problems for some time. However, my better half surprised me with a mini-break to Somerset and, while I wasn't too keen at the time, four days away really helped me to switch off and recuperate.

I've been toying with the idea of hand building the fiddle yard track out of code 40 rail and copper clad as I'm not presently (or likely be be in the near future) cash rich. The cost of buying quite a few Peco points and having to modify them to fit some unusual formations was eye watering. I've tried to use Templot but I've not gotten to grips with it yet. Therefore, I spent a little bit of time this morning mocking up a short radius turnout in CAD.

Once I've finished tweaking it, I'll use a 2D image to print a template on which to build a test piece. While I've successfully assembled some of Finetrax turnouts, this will be the first time I've attempted a scratchbuild but I feel reasonably confident that it can be done. :) Should this prove successful then I'll have a go with a double slip.

A side benefit of building my own fiddle yard track is that I won't have to worry about raising the Finetrax to a level to be compatible with Peco code 55 or code 80.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 08:33:04 pm »
I'm sure there's plenty of folks interested to see how you get on, Steve, so keep us posted please.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »
I'm sure there's plenty of folks interested to see how you get on, Steve, so keep us posted please.

Thanks Mick. I've got to adjust the check rail clearances as I've set them to 0.8mm opinion the CAD which results in a distance of 7.4mm. Having measured the back to backs of some Peco wheels (too poor to re wheel all of these at the moment), I'm likely to end up with clearance issues. Therefore I'll be adjusting the check rails to give a clearance of 0.9mm - I'm not inclined to mess with the back to backs too much and it would be nice if visiting locomotives could use the layout once built.

As the turnout isn't in the visible section, I've skimped with the number of sleepers. Hopefully this will still prove robust enough once built.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 08:01:24 am »
Very impressive CAD drawing there!  :thankyousign:

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 10:11:07 am »
Very impressive CAD drawing there! 

Thank you GreyWolf, it'll be even more impressive if it leads to a working scratchbuilt turnout!  :D

According to my parents, girlfriend and Facebook, it is my birthday today - I'm now getting to the point where I like to try and forget these! However, this morning did see a nice selection of presents for Hadley Wood.

My parents bought me the final two Finetrax turnouts for the scenic section of the layout, these will be employed to access the goods sidings. Some spare sleeper bases were also in the package which provides me with spares and (hopefully) an easy way to hold rail in gauge (and upright) while the initial few solder joints are made on the toe of the points.

My girlfriend got me Papyrus - actually, I found it on Ebay last month for very little money and pointed it out to her. It runs perfectly and I wonder why nobody else bid on it... This one will be backdated into Gresley's original A1 'Great Northern' as she was c. 1937 with high sided non-corridor tender. I just need to finish the other three Dapol A3 conversions I've had on the go for eight months first!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 10:21:33 am »
I admire scratch built track and have done for all my years.

However, in the words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Hence I'm stuck with Peco.

Looking forward to developments!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 11:21:58 am »
I admire scratch built track and have done for all my years.

However, in the words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Hence I'm stuck with Peco.

Looking forward to developments!  :beers:

Thanks Bealman. As I've never scratch built any track before (although the Finetrax kits are part way there) it could all end up as a glorious disaster!

While I agree with Mr Eastwood's quote, I like to try and find where my limitations are - usually where I thought they were but I've gotten lucky a few times by seriously pushing my luck! ;)

If all goes to pot then I'll be back to using Peco for the fiddle yard. Fingers crossed!

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 11:31:48 am »
According to my parents, girlfriend and Facebook, it is my birthday today - I'm now getting to the point where I like to try and forget these! However, this morning did see a nice selection of presents for Hadley Wood.

Happy Birthday  :toot:

Looks like some nice presents there, enjoy!

My girlfriend got me Papyrus ... I wonder why nobody else bid on it...

Don't think the Ancient Egyptians had railways ??  :hmmm:

:beers:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 01:10:02 pm »
Happy Birthday  :toot:

Looks like some nice presents there, enjoy!

Thanks, I'm very happy with them! However, I'm not looking forward to threading another couple of hundred (or close too) individual rail chairs but these are the final two scenic turnouts. :)

Don't think the Ancient Egyptians had railways ??  :hmmm:

I didn't either, I guess that someone rewrote history at some point. Worse still, it appears that Gresley plagiarised the Egyptian's locomotive design!  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 03:36:58 pm »
Happy Birthday, Steve :toot:

Not sure if I'm losing the plot or not but your layout build sounds as if you'll have Finetrax in the fiddle yard and Peco on the scenic side :confused2:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »
Happy Birthday, Steve :toot:

Not sure if I'm losing the plot or not but your layout build sounds as if you'll have Finetrax in the fiddle yard and Peco on the scenic side :confused2:

Thank you Mick,

You're not losing the plot (that was lost a long time ago!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: ). The scenic side will use Finetrax while the fiddle yard will be attempted using hand laid track on copper clad sleepers. In fact I've just ordered some bits from the 2mm Scale Association so that I can build a test piece.  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 04:00:47 pm »
Aha! The coin has now dropped. Thanks for putting me right :thumbsup:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »
Aha! The coin has now dropped. Thanks for putting me right :thumbsup:

No problem. :)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 07:25:39 pm »
Hi all,

I spent a couple of hour this afternoon building one of the Finetrax B6 turnouts I got yesterday.

The next one will be the last turnout required for the scenic section of Hadley Wood! :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2018, 12:49:20 pm »
This morning saw the final Finetrax turnout for the scenic section of the layout constructed.  :)

Looking at the earlier efforts, I might revisit the blades and tiebars to improve the clearances slightly.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here